Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 Questions unanswered by FAQ  (Read 3486 times)

Offline redseed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Word to all of the business ladies!
JB3 Questions unanswered by FAQ
« on: March 15, 2005, 03:10:55 PM »
Hey guys! I've got a few questions for you all regarding the JB3.

1. Mic preamp. Is it shitty quality? How does it compare to a Sharp MD, which I know are better than Sonys?

2. Recording level. Can you adjust it WHILE recording?

3. Availability. I've read on here many times that you can get them on ebay refurbished for $150. Is this my best option?

Thanks for all of your help guys. Rock on!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: JB3 Questions unanswered by FAQ
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 03:20:36 PM »
Hey guys! I've got a few questions for you all regarding the JB3.

1. Mic preamp. Is it shitty quality? How does it compare to a Sharp MD, which I know are better than Sonys?

2. Recording level. Can you adjust it WHILE recording?

3. Availability. I've read on here many times that you can get them on ebay refurbished for $150. Is this my best option?

Thanks for all of your help guys. Rock on!

1. run line in, i believe thats the consesus! the mic pre is shitty and i have heard that if youre running mic in the hard drive can be heard spoinning :(

2. yes you can adjust levels while recording!

3. your best bet is the ebay refurbished ones, or someone in our very own 'yard sale' is selling a jb3 for 150 right now i believe!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 03:25:08 PM »
Thanks a LOT man! I couldn't find those ones on ebay. Is there a special place I've gotta look on there or what?

As for the pre amp... is it actually going to sound worse than my Sharp MD? I'm not too big on carrying around a separate preamp and batt box too. Anybody know if it'll sound worse than Sharp MD?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 03:54:37 PM »
[1] Run line-in.  Skip mic-in.  From the FAQ (ahem):  :P

Simply feed it an analog signal via stereo mini connector and you're all set. Probably want to run line-in as it sounds better than mic-in.  Mic-in is known to suffer from nasty artifacts like hard drive whine and a high noise floor.

Above is from a section on patching, so I'm not surprised you didn't find it - I probably should duplicate the info in a "running analog-in" section.

[2]  Yes.  Check out the NJB3 Operating FAQ (to which I should have a link in the NJB3 Tapers FAQ, but do not - again, not surprised you didn't find it!).

Time to polish up the FAQ a bit...  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 04:01:43 PM »
Thanks a LOT man! I couldn't find those ones on ebay. Is there a special place I've gotta look on there or what?

As for the pre amp... is it actually going to sound worse than my Sharp MD? I'm not too big on carrying around a separate preamp and batt box too. Anybody know if it'll sound worse than Sharp MD?

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 04:18:30 PM »
How can a recorder that records uncompressed possibly sound worse than one that records compressed? Plus, why would you ever want to buy minidisks, and have to change them out mid-set? These are not reasonable questions, just get the dang JB3, smell the coffee. Mmmm... Italian Roast!
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline redseed

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 04:29:03 PM »
Hey Creative doesn't make these anymore! That's too bad huh?

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 07:50:23 PM »

You won't find too many people here who have experience comparing built in preamps on Mini Disc recorders.  There are too many different models and most people here prefer to record in an uncompressed format no matter how well the compression algorithm is.  As far as buying a JB3 off ebay goes, if you want a reconditioned one check the Creative ebay store.  Few sellers list the item as JB3 so try searching using combinations of the words "Creative Nomad Jukebox 3".  The Jukebox 3 is the only model you'll be interested in.
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

hexyjones

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 08:52:07 PM »
To the original poster - understand...the mic preamp in the JB3 is UNUSUALLY bad...not just average, not so-so, not ok...it sucks to the point you cant believe they even had the balls to call it "mic"

You can compare the Sharps and Sonys till the cows come home - If only the JB3 had a mic in as good as the worst MD...

We are sure of this...go line and carry on...

hexyjones

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 08:55:01 PM »
How can a recorder that records uncompressed possibly sound worse than one that records compressed? Plus, why would you ever want to buy minidisks, and have to change them out mid-set? These are not reasonable questions, just get the dang JB3, smell the coffee. Mmmm... Italian Roast!

How? Using the JB3 mic in, the signal is irreversibly HORKED before it ever gets to the A/D...compression is irrelevant...

Most MDs mic pres can at least pose as mic pre...the JB3 can make no such claim...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 08:56:39 PM by corkscrew »

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 11:49:17 PM »
Well, ok, you're right, but I still want to buy an MD so I can step on it.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 08:58:45 AM »
I'm not too big on carrying around a separate preamp and batt box too. Anybody know if it'll sound worse than Sharp MD?

Soundpro's has battery box/preamp combos.  All in one box.  Will improve recordings, without breakin the bank.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.406 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com