Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

24/48 to 16/44 conversion introducing clipping...

(1/4) > >>

jes1982:
Hi-
As the Subject says, I'm having an issue with the sample type conversion and am seeking guidance.  Hopefully someone can educate me about this problem.

I'm working with 24/48 WAV files in the latest version of Audition.  I used the Hard Limiter (screenshot attached of settings) to boost the gain with the maximum amplitude set at -0.1db.  No problems.  I then used Audition's Sample Type converter to save a 16/44 file set.  Again, screenshot attached of the settings I used.  Unfortunately, the conversions introduced clipping and I'm not sure why as the there is no clipping or distortion in the 24/48 files.

Some troubleshooting I attempted: (1) used a different setting for the sample type conversion (i.e., no dithering) and that didn't change the result; (2) forwarded the 24/48 file set to a friend who also has Audition (a different version, I think) and he didn't fare better; and (3) I converted the files with the latest free version of r8brain and that also introduced clipping.

Any ideas on what's going on here?  I will add that I pushed the gain levels more than usual, but, again, there's no clipping or distortion in the 24 bit file set.  Naturally, I do all the editing with 24 bit files before converting to 16/44.

Thanks for any counsel you can provide!

P.S. The workaround is I can run the Hard Limiter a second time with the 16 bit files to eliminate the clipping, but that's more work.

robgronotte:
The first thing I would try is converting the file before doing the normalization to see what happens, if you still have a version of the file before that was done.

vanark:
My solution - don't convert to 16/44. It has been 7 or 8 years since I made 16/44 files. I simply circulate my 24/48 files.

Also, I never had clipping introduced when I resampled/dithered a file in Wavelab 6, so not sure. I also generally only increased the amplitude to -0.2 dB as some playback introduced artifact as you got closer to 0.0 even if it wasn't over.

EmRR:
The recommendation for files that will become mp3’s is to normalize or master to -1dBFS. No higher. I’ve noted in mastering things for release that it’s common to see peak increases of +0.2 from sample rate conversion, occasionally as much as +0.8.

vanark:

--- Quote from: EmRR on March 10, 2024, 11:53:02 AM ---The recommendation for files that will become mp3’s is to normalize or master to -1dBFS. No higher. I’ve noted in mastering things for release that it’s common to see peak increases of +0.2 from sample rate conversion, occasionally as much as +0.8.

--- End quote ---

I've never had an issue at -0.2 dB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version