Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread II  (Read 63395 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Clamp-aholics. The ultimate clamping and rigging team thread II
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2023, 10:10:28 PM »

Cool dual clamping rig!
#Gadgets

I really like the CAMVATE 11 inch Adjustable Articulating Friction Magic Arm for this purpose. Pic from Red Rocks attached.

Grey hanging bag for Anker 10k battery.

Is THAT what the bag is for... nice tip, thanks. My Anker came with a carry bag, but I've only used it to keep the two included cables with it... Didn't think of using it to hang off a mic stand wing nut, but that would work great in the field, both as a stand weight, and to keep stuff off potentially beery floors.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2023, 12:23:46 AM »

Cool dual clamping rig!
#Gadgets

I really like the CAMVATE 11 inch Adjustable Articulating Friction Magic Arm for this purpose. Pic from Red Rocks attached.

Grey hanging bag for Anker 10k battery.

Is THAT what the bag is for... nice tip, thanks. My Anker came with a carry bag, but I've only used it to keep the two included cables with it... Didn't think of using it to hang off a mic stand wing nut, but that would work great in the field, both as a stand weight, and to keep stuff off potentially beery floors.

this makes so much sense.

wonder where I put all of my bags...
waves -> bits

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2023, 11:05:49 AM »
This seems like the best place to ask...

i have a manfretto stand. I would like my Mixpre3 and ZoomF3 mounted to this stand at around eye level. Rather not have them lying on the ground and / or have the need for very long cables. what mount should i look at?

My buddy had a mini shelf adapter for his stand at one point.  Something like this, I've seen others for a lot cheaper

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1664746-REG/proaim_p_utra_01_utility_tray_with_arm.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw_uGmBhBREiwAeOfsd7SzYOn9T9T_q444zKf2eSvK_E7k5OnPGynrcMgY74TfwUFSxQ3WehoCAGYQAvD_BwE
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2023, 09:39:33 PM »

i have a manfretto stand. I would like my Mixpre3 and ZoomF3 mounted to this stand at around eye level. Rather not have them lying on the ground and / or have the need for very long cables. what mount should i look at?

My buddy had a mini shelf adapter for his stand at one point.  Something like this, I've seen others for a lot cheaper

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1664746-REG/proaim_p_utra_01_utility_tray_with_arm.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw_uGmBhBREiwAeOfsd7SzYOn9T9T_q444zKf2eSvK_E7k5OnPGynrcMgY74TfwUFSxQ3WehoCAGYQAvD_BwE

I mount my MixPre-6 to my stand all the time, as I use lightweight stands and a MixPre mounted low, screen tilted up, acts as a nice ballast. I just use a magic arm clamped to the stand and attached into the 1/4-20" threaded receiver on the underside of the MixPre. I have a lot of magic arms ranging from cheap to expensive/best. For this application, get yourself a Smallrig (cheap-ish) -- it will work great.

I also have shelves like the one linked above that I use for other equipment, like MOTU stuff that doesn't have a threaded mounting hole, but that's a lot less secure.

https://www.amazon.com/SmallRig-Adjustable-Friction-Articulating-Monitor/dp/B087T4T8D5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=smallrig%2Bmagic%2Barm%2Bclamp&qid=1694309898&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/SmallRig-Adjustable-Friction-Articulating-Monitor/dp/B087T4T8D5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=smallrig%2Bmagic%2Barm%2Bclamp&qid=1694309898&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

For what it's worth I always try to use the smallest magic arm possible, as longer just means more tipsy stand and more leverage trying to unscrew your connections.
waves -> bits

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2023, 03:41:09 AM »

I mount my MixPre-6 to my stand all the time, as I use lightweight stands and a MixPre mounted low, screen tilted up, acts as a nice ballast. I just use a magic arm clamped to the stand and attached into the 1/4-20" threaded receiver on the underside of the MixPre. I have a lot of magic arms ranging from cheap to expensive/best. For this application, get yourself a Smallrig (cheap-ish) -- it will work great.

I also have shelves like the one linked above that I use for other equipment, like MOTU stuff that doesn't have a threaded mounting hole, but that's a lot less secure.

For what it's worth I always try to use the smallest magic arm possible, as longer just means more tipsy stand and more leverage trying to unscrew your connections.

Thanks! this sounds like what i need! Gonna check it out.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2023, 10:04:50 PM »
I want to give a big shout out and thanks to Voltronic, his suggestion on the 9.Solutions Savior Clamp was spot on  :clapping:, this thing is a beast, 5/8 hex socket and 1/4 as well as 3/8 threaded sockets on both sides of the clamp giving this thing some incredible versatility.  At $45 this is a steal and way nicer than Manfrotto 035 super clamp that used to be the standard. I also picked up the Matthews baby extension pole and its an very quality piece of equipment as well, highly recommeded.  Links below for reference.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1426914-REG/9_solutions_9_xs1005b_savior_clamp_with_socket.html
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/33185-REG/Matthews_429499_Telescopic_Baby_Stand_Extension.html
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2023, 10:52:10 PM »
Ah, another convert to the 9.Solutions Savior Clamp Collective.

All other clamps shall tremble in fear of its superior build quality and performance!
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2023, 09:31:46 AM »

I needed a new clamp for an upcoming show where the front drink rail is going to be the best alternative but need to run really high up so I was looking at the Matthews clamp and came across a clearance price at B&H on the 9solutions Savior clamp. $32.24 and free shipping.

This should work for both fat balcony rails and flat drink shelf type situations.

I might get another one at this price to leave at a local club where they always give me static about my stand - I could just leave this and an extension pole in the "office" where the FOH guy keeps his rigging gear and just clamp on to the soundbooth or whatever when I arrive.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2023, 02:51:18 PM »

I needed a new clamp for an upcoming show where the front drink rail is going to be the best alternative but need to run really high up so I was looking at the Matthews clamp and came across a clearance price at B&H on the 9solutions Savior clamp. $32.24 and free shipping.

This should work for both fat balcony rails and flat drink shelf type situations.

I might get another one at this price to leave at a local club where they always give me static about my stand - I could just leave this and an extension pole in the "office" where the FOH guy keeps his rigging gear and just clamp on to the soundbooth or whatever when I arrive.
That $32.24 one has the 5/8 stud. I could not tell if that was removable, so I just bought the one with the 5/8 socket-$44.99
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2023, 03:39:22 PM »

That $32.24 one has the 5/8 stud. I could not tell if that was removable, so I just bought the one with the 5/8 socket-$44.99

All the Matthews clamps I was looking at when I found this deal have a 5/8 stud as well so this bargain model was exactly what I was looking for.

In addition it looks to have 1/4 and 3/8 screw holes so you could use a screw in spigot or a double ended ball head clamp - all sorts of stuff. This would be pretty handy too for adding a small crab claw clamp to attach to a stand in places where you need your stand but don't want to have to open the legs but have the need to attach it to something to stabilize it.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline voltronic

« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2023, 04:49:56 PM »

The reason I bought it was because the other clamps were not holding narrow flat surfaces well when there was cantilevered mass. Seat arms, stage lips, etc. The floating jaws and the rubber lined grip surfaces on the Savior help a ton with these situations.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2023, 09:08:23 PM »
Just wanted to make a shout-out to Camvate customer service.

I over-tightened a magic arm and felt something give way. (Lots of late-season spinach in my diet lately.)

CS diagnosed the issue using my photos of the disassembled are and then mailed 2 sets of replacement parts for the cost of postage.

They were super helpful all the way through, responsive, easy to work with.

~Chris
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2023, 05:05:55 PM »
Another shout out to the savior9. kindms and I used it for the first time on a balcony drink rail tube type railing. it was used adjacent to a Manfrotto Superclamp. The floating jaws make ALL the difference in order to achieve stability. kindms remarked about three things:
1] It is larger than it appears in the photos, approximately the same size as a Superclamp, about 1/2 inch  longer in the jaw area.
2] It has two sets of 1/4 and 3/8 screw holes on the top surface of each jaw.
3] You don't have to worry about losing the plastic wedge piece Manfrotto came up with to adapt to different surfaces.  >:D 
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline voltronic

« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2023, 05:37:57 PM »
Maybe I should start a Team 9.Solutions for all of us who have discovered clamp Nirvana!  :cheers:
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2023, 12:15:11 AM »
A Savior 9 is on my X-mas wishlist...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com