Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Nevaton MC59/S microphones in action  (Read 11099 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New Nevaton MC59/S microphones in action
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 06:01:17 PM »
^ Yeah, it is pretty rare to see more than one stand at a show here. Hell, it is pretty rare to see even one stand! Popmarter and I meet up sometimes, though, to make a (small) section...

In the photo, I am the one on the left side wearing the hoodie and Popmarter is in the center wearing the Polo shirt.

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 01:47:05 PM »
Aaronj his recording is on LMA now: https://archive.org/details/supersuckers2020-02-07.dpa4015c.sbd.flac

Sounds very good and way better than the tiny room :) A job well done!
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2021, 09:38:43 AM »

Bump for reference...
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline captainentropy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2022, 10:59:03 PM »
Here's my MC59S matched pair (wide cardioid) in action (amphitheater). I have a second source from the same show (Neumann AK50) and these sound much better. Different pattern, I know, but the Nevatons sound better, IMO.

https://archive.org/details/kglw2022-10-02.MC59/

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2022, 01:00:46 PM »
The Nevatons may be fine microphones, I don't know, but this comparison is iffy. These are two very different kinds of microphones.

The Neumann AK 50 is a very high quality supercardioid with rolled off low-frequency response, more like a speech microphone than a general music microphone. Its response extends to very low frequencies and its directional pattern is well maintained down there--just with a large rolloff that's baked into the capsule design. I suspect that it was mainly intended for film and video sound, TV studios, podiums, conferencing and the like, although Neumann doesn't say so.

If I had the KM 150s that I used to own, and were using them as main microphones for music that had important low frequency energy, that would be an odd choice since there are equally good supercardioids that don't have the rolloff. But if I were doing it anyway for some reason, some serious low-frequency EQ would be in order, which would also tend to increase the sense of spaciousness. Not doing that would be incomprehensible to me, given the nature of the microphones and the program material.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 01:17:37 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline captainentropy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2022, 06:26:41 PM »
The Nevatons may be fine microphones, I don't know, but this comparison is iffy. These are two very different kinds of microphones.

The Neumann AK 50 is a very high quality supercardioid with rolled off low-frequency response, more like a speech microphone than a general music microphone. Its response extends to very low frequencies and its directional pattern is well maintained down there--just with a large rolloff that's baked into the capsule design. I suspect that it was mainly intended for film and video sound, TV studios, podiums, conferencing and the like, although Neumann doesn't say so.

If I had the KM 150s that I used to own, and were using them as main microphones for music that had important low frequency energy, that would be an odd choice since there are equally good supercardioids that don't have the rolloff. But if I were doing it anyway for some reason, some serious low-frequency EQ would be in order, which would also tend to increase the sense of spaciousness. Not doing that would be incomprehensible to me, given the nature of the microphones and the program material.

Yep, definitely different. As I stated. My sample size is still small, and venue makes a huge difference, but the reason I say they sound better is that so far I've had to do little to no mastering with the Nevatons whereas the AK50s I can't recall ever not having to fiddle with the EQ to get it how it should sound. Of course, when I get that right they're awesome. Also, the sound also goes through nBob's active cables and Naiant's IPA. I'm not sure how much that might affect sound quality, but it's nonetheless part of the signal path to the recorder.

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2022, 04:21:57 PM »
Just chiming in for my general love of Nevatons. Love my 49s and am toying with the idea of getting a low profile setup with the actives. Interested in hearing more samples of anything out the 59 lineup
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2022, 02:01:06 AM »
I put up two recent shows with these on Dime (levellers and Sorcha Richardson) which are more or less raw. Together with a Zoom F3 this is a pretty stealth set.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com