Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: H120 dies all of a sudden  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Aladar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
H120 dies all of a sudden
« on: January 18, 2010, 08:27:01 AM »
Hello, I bought my H120 second-hand, and it worked fine till one day it turned off (probably cause of low battery) and never turned on again. The buttons dont seem to work anymore (or work only sometimes), the restart button works only sometimes as well, and when it boots into original firmware, it says "check HDD connection", which would be obviously a HDD problem, but when it boots up the firmware completely, no buttons work at all.. what should I do?

Thanks for every help, I'm REALLY desperate here, even so because I paid for my mikes yesterday that I can't use anymore..

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: H120 dies all of a sudden
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 05:51:12 PM »
What you should do?
 - Check the HDD connection! Honestly, these error messages are accurate most of the time.
If you got this item shipped, chances are that the HDD got loose from being tossed around or dropped to the floor.

Get yourself a T5 torx, open it up and re-seat the HDD. Or while you're at it, order the utensils and do the CF mod.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
  • wtb: time
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 03:32:52 AM »
And while it is open, you might consider replacing the battery, and check the solderings on the USB daughter board :)

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:56:36 PM »
The loose HDD is obvious (though, it just stopped working all of a sudden, didn't drop it or something), but the nonworking buttons are what worries me most. Someone on mysticriver said it could be wrong battery that can't give enough power to both HDD and buttons, which seems logical.. Tho, I think the battery has been replaced recently before my purchase..

Where can I get the screwdriver?

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
The loose HDD is obvious (though, it just stopped working all of a sudden, didn't drop it or something), but the nonworking buttons are what worries me most. Someone on mysticriver said it could be wrong battery that can't give enough power to both HDD and buttons, which seems logical.. Tho, I think the battery has been replaced recently before my purchase..

You should be able to eliminate the battery issue if you hook it up to AC while troubleshooting.
have you installed rockbox on it in the first place? What does the rockbox boot-up screen say?

T5 torx - depends where you live really. Here in Sweden, ELFA is your cheapest source... Otherwise, I think you should be able to get a kit of various torx drivers on ebay.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 01:13:17 AM »

You should be able to eliminate the battery issue if you hook it up to AC while troubleshooting.
have you installed rockbox on it in the first place? What does the rockbox boot-up screen say?

T5 torx - depends where you live really. Here in Sweden, ELFA is your cheapest source... Otherwise, I think you should be able to get a kit of various torx drivers on ebay.

Rockbox booted only once (cause the buttons don't work), not sure what the error message was, but google results got basically "unconnected HDD".. error -34 or something.

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:28:51 AM »
check the solderings of the usb daughterboard

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 06:16:21 AM »
Ok, so I got in.. Reset button immediately fell off, but buttons now work. I removed the battery, reseated the HDD, plugged it in.. ATA Error -32. Tried to push it as described at http://www.misticriver.net/forums/iriver-h1xx-series-h110-h115-h120-h140/45641-temp-fix-always-connected-hdd-check-error-pics.html - didnt work.

Any ideas?

Offline petur

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 03:24:36 PM »
should I repeat my line again? ;)

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 05:07:09 PM »
should I repeat my line again? ;)

It's the board that's soldered to the IDE adapter board, right? I will check that as soon as I get some help, I can't solder anything :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com