Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony flat rate repair  (Read 6654 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Sony flat rate repair
« on: June 09, 2004, 08:27:22 PM »
Does sony still have the flat rate repair deal?  I have a d8 that needs new heads.  If I can get them from sony for 130$ I may bring it back from the dead.  Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Ed
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

spreadheadtom

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sony flat rate repair
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 09:09:05 PM »
not anymore that i am aware of.  i sent mine back with the $169 to have it fixed.  got it back and still wouldn't work.  sent it back again and sony ended up buying it back....for $400!!!  and refunded the $169. 

used the money to buy a trustworthy used one and a fatass sack of the DANK!!

hope this helps  ;D

Tommy

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 09:48:20 PM »
I think it's only for the consumer decks, i.e. the M1...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline dr.ph0b

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection Member
  • powpow!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 12:09:05 PM »
the M1 isnt considered a "consumer" deck by sony. the D100 is tho, and therefore eligable for flat-rate repair :) D7/8 are no longer eligable according to sony because its more than 5years from their market date or whatever reason they gave me.  you can try using this site: http://products.sel.sony.com/SEL/service/service.html
sold :(  MK4v->KCY->Sonosax SX-M2/LS2->modSBM1->M1
m-s: mk8/mk4v

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 03:40:52 PM »
Er, I meant the pro decks. My bad...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline RedMountain

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 06:51:01 PM »
D8 most definitely DOES qualify for a flat-rate repair!  In fact, Sony told me so last night.  I sent my D8 in for the flat rate repair today (it ate a tape, won't eject it, and powers off immediately after powering on...not good!) First problem ever (in 7+ years on the deck)....unfortunately it ate a Master DAT of New Earth Mud from Mexicali Blues (NJ) on Tuesday night (the soundcheck and the encores- NOT the show!)

BobW

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 12:13:59 PM »
D8 most definitely DOES qualify for a flat-rate repair!  In fact, Sony told me so last night.  I sent my D8 in for the flat rate repair today (it ate a tape, won't eject it, and powers off immediately after powering on...not good!) First problem ever (in 7+ years on the deck)....unfortunately it ate a Master DAT of New Earth Mud from Mexicali Blues (NJ) on Tuesday night (the soundcheck and the encores- NOT the show!)

Are you going to tranfer it ?

Do all new NJ bands have the word "earth" in them now ?  ;D

How much is Sony's flat rate ?

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 05:14:36 PM »
Just checked....

The cost to repair this unit under our Flat Rate Program is $156.00 (plus any applicable taxes). Return shipping is included in this price.

This pricing is only valid at Sony owned service locations.

Based upon the information you entered, your unit appears to qualify for the Flat Rate pricing quoted above. Flat Rate pricing does not apply to non-consumer products, units requiring replacement of picture tubes or projection TV tubes, any condition resulting from physical abuse, misuse, or excessive wear, units older than seven (7) years from last market date or damage resulting from prior service. If, upon examination, it is determined that your unit does not qualify for Flat Rate pricing, then a parts and labor repair quote will be given to you.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline auroboros

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 09:29:01 PM »
I live in Sydney Australia and need my d100 repaired. i bought my DAT off ebay without the original receipt. Am i in any way able to claim this flate rate repair in the USA?
OKM II R, CA-14 cards, Marantz EM-8
E.A.A. PSP-2, CA-9100
Sony PCM-D50

Jesu medela vulnerum spes una poenitentium per Magdalenae lacrymas peccata nostra diluas.

Offline auroboros

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 10:19:17 PM »
the flat rate repair price has gone up to 270!!!!
OKM II R, CA-14 cards, Marantz EM-8
E.A.A. PSP-2, CA-9100
Sony PCM-D50

Jesu medela vulnerum spes una poenitentium per Magdalenae lacrymas peccata nostra diluas.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2004, 10:14:14 AM »
the flat rate repair price has gone up to 270!!!!

I believe that was always the price for the D100.  the D7 and D8 were less if I recall correctly

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 07:29:46 AM »
hmm.  anything new on the Sony Flat Rate?

I live about a half hour from a Sony Service place in Westwood MA I've
used before.  My sampling rate switch on my D8 is broke (stuck at 48) and
I should just get the thing tuned up while I can.

and now with the JB3, I can part with it a few weeks...
Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

Offline edgar

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 02:34:41 AM »
newest on the sony flat rate...at least as far as i know

long story short, or ill try...

i entered info on my m1's about 2 months ago on the sony site (model/serial#'s) and was told they were eligible for a flat rate repair of $161...checked the others (d100, d8, d7) and all of those said EXCHANGE program only ($400 and +)

so i figured $161 was a  steal for a flat rate repair from sony, and filled out the forms for both of my ill decks.
submitted, had to wait a while , and was eventually told the quote was wrong, and that the rate was really  $150 an  HOUR just to diagnose the fuckers...AND even though i was sending in TWO decks, they had to charge me 2 hrs worth of labor, regardless if the 1st deck only took 10 min to diagnose. bunch o crap...they went on to tell me that they havent doen the flat rate repair in SO long and they were NOT aware that the site was still offering it, so it looks like i lucked out because...

i fought em on it, printed out what the site said initially ,wrote a looong letter, mailed it to them along with both decks and they honored the flat fix price. after a month+ of me waiting with no correspondance from them...I bitched a lil bit after the fact and wound up getting one of the repairs free after all was FINALLY said and done!

god bless america.

edit:

after looking, it appears the other decks are now being serviced again with flat rate quotes, but the m1 isnt...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 03:56:01 AM by edgar »
SP-CMC-2>SP-SPSB-2>M1

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 03:09:38 PM »
Edgar:

My understanding of sony's policy is that only consumer decks are eligible for the flat rate repair -- consumer decks are those that obey scms (i.e. d8/d100).  Even though the m1 is virtually identical to the d100, it ignores scms and is therefore considered a "pro" deck and is not eligible for the flat rate.  Nice to hear that Sony actually listened to your argument and agreed to honor the flat rate on your m1

Offline edgar

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 04:59:40 PM »
Edgar:

My understanding of sony's policy is that only consumer decks are eligible for the flat rate repair -- consumer decks are those that obey scms (i.e. d8/d100).  Even though the m1 is virtually identical to the d100, it ignores scms and is therefore considered a "pro" deck and is not eligible for the flat rate.  Nice to hear that Sony actually listened to your argument and agreed to honor the flat rate on your m1

i wasn't about to lose that argument :-)
i had their quote in print, from their site, and be it against thier typical policy, or whatever...i made it my mission to get the price honored.

funny, at the beginning they made that point also, that the m1 is a professional deck, and therefore wasnt handled by the consumer service dept. however the LAST thing ANYONE at sony was in my recent dealings with them was PROFESSIONAL.
SP-CMC-2>SP-SPSB-2>M1

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2004, 05:30:10 PM »
if i had enough posts, i'd +t to edgar for the great story!

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 01:32:28 PM »
AAAHHHHH!!!!   Just went to check on having my D8 looked at and got this.....

Model Number:  TCDD8
Purchase Date:  02/19/1998
Warranty Status:  Out of Warranty
Exchange Service Cost:  $448.62 (plus any applicable tax) 

Exchange Service Information:
Your unit is covered under an exchange program. The exchange is for the same or a comparable model. The replacement unit will be factory refurbished.

A refurbished unit is one which is not an original, factory fresh unit; for various reasons, it has been returned to Sony from a dealer or customer, or for some reason cannot be sold as new. The replacement would have been through a complete re-work and inspection and, except for possible minor cosmetic flaws, returned to the original factory specifications. It is then repackaged with all of the accessories and supplied materials a new unit comes with.

The cost to exchange this unit under our Exchange Program is $448.62 (plus any applicable taxes). Return shipping is included in this price.

This quoted price is based upon the direct replacement model. Product availability and pricing may vary if the direct replacement model is not available. If this applies, You will be contacted by a customer service representative.

Based upon the information you entered, your unit appears to qualify for the Flat Rate pricing quoted above. Flat Rate pricing does not apply to non-consumer products, units requiring replacement of the display device (such as: projection and TV picture tubes, optical blocks, plasma and LCD panels), any condition resulting from physical abuse, misuse, or excessive wear, units older than seven (7) years from last market date or damage resulting from prior service. If, upon examination, it is determined that your unit does not qualify for Flat Rate pricing, then a parts and/or labor repair quote will be given to you.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline tchoub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2005, 04:17:17 AM »
Here's my experience with Sony  flat-rate repair :
I bought a used D8 on Ebay from a recording studio. It was supposed to be "barely used" and in "perfect working condition". When I received it, it didn't work. It powered up but shutdown as soon as it was trying to load a tape...
I brought it to the Sony repair service in France. My DAT qualified for a flat-rate repair by Sony. I was asked 130 euros for the repair (in 2003).
It took them nearly 5 monthes to repair it.  >:( >:(
It still can't fast-forward correctly but at least it now correctly loads a tape and records on it (!) ...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com