Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thank God I have a Brain..Microtrack story.  (Read 1577 times)

Offline vegas06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Thank God I have a Brain..Microtrack story.
« on: March 16, 2006, 11:41:54 AM »
Well I have been playing around with and loving my newly bought Microtrack, and recently received some new additions for my mics.
I bought 2 cables from soundprofessionals.com (xlr to dual trs, fone for mono, and one for stereo (AT822 mic).  Teh goal was to record either with mono mic or stereo (AT822 or Nady CM-2S) mics, and then while recording send a wireless signal from my Samson Micro 32 transmitter to my camera.

Well it worked flawlessly with the mono mics, but I got nothing but white noise when using teh stereo cable.

I was freaking out because I though I might have sent a signal to the unit and my mics that fried them.  Well both stereo mics worked in 1/8, except the At822 was much lower signal than the Nady CM-2S.  And the 1/4 TRS would not work for the stereo mics, even when unit was set to 1/4 TRS  like it should have.

Well after spending 3 hours trying to figure it out, I gave up, put everything away, and was going to call M-Audio.  But while on their site, looking for TRS issues, I read about making sure Phantom Power was off when using non Phantom Powered mics. 
Well I knew this and was sure that I had the switch turned off. 
Or did I?
Well this morning I went and checked the unit before I went to work, and low and behold, the switch was set to Phantom.  It was set to off when I was first using it, but must have shifted to on when I placed it away in the bag.

I tested the unit with 3 different cables and both mics, and I worked as it should, Thank God.  I didn't want to send teh unit in for repairs after only having it for 3 weeks.
A small peice of Gaffers tape is going to cover the switch from here on out, as I don't need the switch to trun on by accident in the future.

Just goes to show you that most problems are due to user error and not mechanical.
I'm just glad I have a brain to figure things out.  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com