Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fostex FR2 & FR2-LE...  (Read 7843 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Fostex FR2 & FR2-LE...
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 01:44:33 PM »
1. Location of mics
2. Mic Configuration
3. Room mix(I list this 3rd since ALOT of times the mix was HORRIBLE live and the tapes sound WAY better than the venue did that particular night. this has actually happened MANY times)
4. Mics
5. Preamp
6. ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter)
7. Cables
8. Recorder (Bit-Bucket)

As far as "Bit Bucket", I was under the impression that if you ARE running high-priced/quality mics like neumann's, a poor recorder will limit
your fidelity.

Also, 5 & 6 on your list are 2 things I would not want to have on-site, which is why I'm asking about the quality of the Oade mod, hoping
I won't have to carry additional gear.

well, in reference to Bean's list, that list is of functions that must be performed (for a digital recording).
in many cases, the pre-amp and ADC (#5 & 6) are contained within the recorder.  in that case, the quality of recorder is important, because you will be using the recorder's internal pre-amp and internal ADC.  when people around here say "bit-bucket", they are talking about a recorder that accepts a digital input from an external ADC.  in that case, the recorder imparts no sound to the actual recording, because all it is doing is writing the digital input to a file.  i.e. when I sold my M-Audio Microtrack and bought a Tascam HD-P2, the actual sound of my recordings didn't change, because the only function of both decks for me was to record an S/PDIF data stream from my V3.  the sole purpose of the upgrade was the HD-P2 is a much more reliable recorder.

in your case, the oade mods would upgrade the internal pre-amp.  many people on this board think that the Oade pre-amp upgrades in the past have helped a lot, relative to the stock pre-amp in many pieces of gear.  although at this point, I have not heard any actual recordings with an Oade mod FR2-LE (and for that matter, I don't know if anyone has), so any talk about these mods is speculation based on positive experiences with oade mods on other gear in the past.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 01:47:32 PM by JasonSobel »

Offline loud noises

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 01:22:45 PM »
How's this sound...

The FR2LE Super MOD (Oade or Busman...?)
Rode NT4 (A pair or should i get an NT4/5 mixed pair?)

And thats it, other than trying to understand the dimensions
of the room/volume of the music on that particular night.

Any suggestions?
Busman Audio BSC1's>The Big Green Fatty>FR2-LE [oade t-mod]

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 03:23:30 PM »
How's this sound...

Any suggestions?

I've never heard a Rode recording that I thought sounded good, and you won't see many people using them for distance taping. I would go with Studio Project C4s for a low budget and Peluso CEMC6s for a medium budget; Obviously mic choice is an opinion but both of those mics will make nice taps into an Oade mod box.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 09:05:47 PM »
How's this sound...

Any suggestions?

I've never heard a Rode recording that I thought sounded good, and you won't see many people using them for distance taping. I would go with Studio Project C4s for a low budget and Peluso CEMC6s for a medium budget; Obviously mic choice is an opinion but both of those mics will make nice taps into an Oade mod box.

agreed 100% bud! C4's or Peluso's will both sound good and wont break the bank. the Peluso's are def nicer, but the sound of the c4's is right up there IMO. Can't go wrong with either IMO. Check out Team Pittsburgh's latest moe show from 6/23/2007 on archive.org Here is a link to mine. Just click the 'Check for other copies' link at the top of the archive page where it lists band name, venue, city, state. and it will bring up all 5 sources. Among them are:

1. AKG 483 > Sound Devices 722 (my rig)

2. SP C4's > Digi-Mod UA5 > JB3

3. AKG 391 > Digi-Mod UA5 > JB3

4. Nak CM 1000(48v Modded) > Lunatec V3 > JB3

5. Teac(Cards) > PS-2 > AD-20 > DAP-1

Those are mostly budget mics except for the 483's(about 1200/pair) and the nak cm1000's(around 1000/pair i think) and I think every recording stands on its own and holds its ground quitye well. I like the c4>digi-modua5>jb3 from Nick Michaels rig. Its a relatively cheaper setup but the full sound from it is spectacular. It is right up there with my recording IMO. It has a touch more lowend, but overall sounds nice and phat and full. and for a couple hundred a pair, the c4's cant be beaten IMO. Altho I do like the Peluso's sound more, stigs wasnt recording that night to have a peluso comp :(

I think either option of the c4's/peluso's will make you happy.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com