Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on DPA 4061  (Read 17503 times)

Online u2_fly_2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Advice on DPA 4061
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 01:07:49 PM »
I don’t think Coresounds come with a power supply unless you pay extra. I agree that Soundpros is a good company to get power supply boxes.

Coresound does include the power supply battery box. 

Core also provides a replacement option for mics without the power supply, yet an existing Core battery-box is required to use those.  Alternate battery boxes cannot be used with the Core mics without a custom adapter 'Y' that would to mate with the single mini-XLR Core uses to handle both input and output from the battery box.

Thanks Gutbucket for your advice!

I´m saving all your info in a "Wordfile" as a good "checkpoint" the day I´ll buy the 4061`s!
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 01:41:32 PM »
spsb-8 will work and is a much safer option for powering DPAs than the spsb-10 you are currently using.  I'd recommend the switch.

Best to either re-terminate the microphones or use a 'Y' adapter as mentioned for use with that battery box just like any other using a single stereo-mini-input, but the option of two mono inputs on the spsb-8 .. Two mono (left and right) in-line, gold plated microphone input jacks or a single stereo input (select in option box)" ..in combination with a pair of off-the-shelf-available mono microdot>mini-plug adapters will also work without requiring mic-retermination or a custom 'Y' adapter.  DPA makes such mono adapters although they are rather costly.  Functionally equivalent versions can be found from other on-line sources at less cost.

Gutbucket, if it's not too much trouble, could you provide links to both the DPA official mono adapter and/or the off-brand versions you're aware of? I'd like to price these out myself. FYI, darktrain was the primary source for the Y adapter, and he's no longer doing them (or any cables). Getting the Y adapter made (i.e. buying a microdot-microdot cable, cutting it in half and reterminating the cut ends into an 1/8" plug) may not be as easy now as it was back when darktrain was doing it.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 05:47:58 PM »
The prefered DPA one would be DAD3050 https://www.dpamicrophones.com/accessories/adapter-for-toa-wm360-4310-for-low-dc-microphones which sells for $100 a piece. 
DPA wires the TRS end with the Ring connection open (signal to Tip, ground to Sleeve).

The other DPA adapter which is may work as long as it fits whatever you are plugging it into is the DAD6034 https://www.dpamicrophones.com/accessories/adapter-for-sennheiser-evolution-x2-digital with the threaded ferrule used to lock it into place.  You'd not use the threaded ferrule part, and it would need to "stay out of the way" of whatever you are plugging into.  DPA wires this one with signal to Tip, and ground to both Ring and Sleeve.

Check with Sound Pros to make sure which are compatible with the input to their SPSB-8 battery box (I suspect they both probably are).

There seem to be more of the second than the first from alternate lower-cost copies suppliers online:

Here's one for half that price- https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/969392-REG/micw_lc031se_microdot_to_mini.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg73kBRDVARIsAF-kEH_H5dI2OQA0nZ5ZDwwppbo232Y7fN5XNpePElQl0AtzOxNEyO54eQUaAjeTEALw_wcB&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=Y

Here's one for $30 https://www.ypamicrophones.com/products/ypa-c4sn-2-microdot-adapter

You can search Ebay, some of which will be "pig-tail style" using a short length of cable between the two connectors:
Two examples (non threaded ferrule style):
https://picclick.co.uk/MICROPHONE-ADAPTER-FOR-DPA-COUNTRYMAN-MICRODOT-TO-TOA-302556375509.html
https://picclick.co.uk/MICROPHONE-ADAPTER-FOR-DPA-COUNTRYMAN-MICRODOT-TO-35mm-272971731675.html

^
There are only 2 conductors needed per microphone- signal and ground. Depending on how the female jack of the battery box is wired, a TS mini plug should be sufficient.  A TRS mini plug (3-contact stereo mini style) also works and is more common.  DPA wires the TRS adapters with the Ring connection either open or grounded, depending on the wireless transmitter the adapter is intended to be used with, as I note above.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 06:02:59 PM »
The prefered DPA one would be DAD3050 https://www.dpamicrophones.com/accessories/adapter-for-toa-wm360-4310-for-low-dc-microphones which sells for $100 a piece. 
DPA wires the TRS end with the Ring connection open (signal to Tip, ground to Sleeve).

The other DPA adapter which is may work as long as it fits whatever you are plugging it into is the DAD6034 https://www.dpamicrophones.com/accessories/adapter-for-sennheiser-evolution-x2-digital with the threaded ferrule used to lock it into place.  You'd not use the threaded ferrule part, and it would need to "stay out of the way" of whatever you are plugging into.  DPA wires this one with signal to Tip, and ground to both Ring and Sleeve.

Check with Sound Pros to make sure which are compatible with the input to their SPSB-8 battery box (I suspect they both probably are).

There seem to be more of the second than the first from alternate lower-cost copies suppliers online:

Here's one for half that price- https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/969392-REG/micw_lc031se_microdot_to_mini.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg73kBRDVARIsAF-kEH_H5dI2OQA0nZ5ZDwwppbo232Y7fN5XNpePElQl0AtzOxNEyO54eQUaAjeTEALw_wcB&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=Y

Here's one for $30 https://www.ypamicrophones.com/products/ypa-c4sn-2-microdot-adapter

You can search Ebay, some of which will be "pig-tail style" using a short length of cable between the two connectors:
Two examples (non threaded ferrule style):
https://picclick.co.uk/MICROPHONE-ADAPTER-FOR-DPA-COUNTRYMAN-MICRODOT-TO-TOA-302556375509.html
https://picclick.co.uk/MICROPHONE-ADAPTER-FOR-DPA-COUNTRYMAN-MICRODOT-TO-35mm-272971731675.html

^
There are only 2 conductors needed per microphone- signal and ground. Depending on how the female jack of the battery box is wired, a TS mini plug should be sufficient.  A TRS mini plug (3-contact stereo mini style) also works and is more common.  DPA wires the TRS adapters with the Ring connection either open or grounded, depending on the wireless transmitter the adapter is intended to be used with, as I note above.

Thanks for the long post! Very helpful. Never would've found that ypa site on my own. $30 is a lot easier to stomach than $100, especially when you're buying 2. $100 for a tiny little adapter like that is highway robbery.

ilduclo

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 10:48:07 PM »

not so, you can get a dpa set from Len for less without the box

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 10:00:31 AM »
No need to guess or "think" before posting, just check the website.

I don’t think Coresounds come with a power supply unless you pay extra. I agree that Soundpros is a good company to get power supply boxes.

Core also provides a replacement option for mics without the power supply, yet an existing Core battery-box is required to use those.  Alternate battery boxes cannot be used with the Core mics without a custom adapter 'Y' that would to mate with the single mini-XLR Core uses to handle both input and output from the battery box.

not so, you can get a dpa set from Len for less without the box

Yes so.  And of course you can get a replacement set without the box, but that won't work for OP as a replacement set of Core Sound HEBs are only compatible with the Core Sound battery box, which the OP does not have. I've bolded the second line of my post you deleted from your quote above explaining that. Here's the purchase page, take a look for yourself- http://core-sound.com/bk/11.php

What is not listed on the website are a straight microdot pair of 4061 without any of the unique Core Sound termination.  Len will sell them that way if you ask.  He'll probably also re-terminate the pair to a stereo mini plug at additional cost if you ask.  I can only assume this might be what you are obliquely referring to.  Core Sound Binaurals is a system which requires either the Core Sound battery box or Len's preamp, without those things they are not "Core Sounds" per se, but DPAs that were simply matched and sold by Core.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 11:09:13 AM »
Many thanks for info regarding different options.

I also sent a e-mail to "Core Sound" with some additional questions. We´ll see which options they have.
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 03:19:50 PM »
Btw, as far as the y-cable option, I checked with Sound Pros and they will make it for $25 (standard 1/8" plug) or $30 (right angle 1/8" plug). That includes labor. So then you just need to order the cable from cdint and send it to them. A 2-foot cable from cdint with the cheapest shipping option is $64, so accounting for the cost of shipping the cable to Sound Pros once you've received it, the total cost of the y-cable is around $100. Definitely cheaper than buying 2 of those official $100 DPA mono adapters, but you could possibly get it done for less if you bought two of the off-brand adapters.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 03:33:57 PM »
Btw, as far as the y-cable option, I checked with Sound Pros and they will make it for $25 (standard 1/8" plug) or $30 (right angle 1/8" plug). That includes labor. So then you just need to order the cable from cdint and send it to them. A 2-foot cable from cdint with the cheapest shipping option is $64, so accounting for the cost of shipping the cable to Sound Pros once you've received it, the total cost of the y-cable is around $100. Definitely cheaper than buying 2 of those official $100 DPA mono adapters, but you could possibly get it done for less if you bought two of the off-brand adapters.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188337.msg2280971#msg2280971

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 03:44:27 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188337.msg2280971#msg2280971

Interesting, had not seen that thread. That’s definitely a little cheaper. Nevertheless, I’d prefer to deal with Sound Pros over Core Sound, plus it sounds like they botched at least one person’s cable on the first try.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:49:12 PM by junkyardt »

Online u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 05:35:28 PM »

Thank you very much for the info!

ilduclo

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 06:07:43 PM »
still incorrect about Coresound, you can get a volume matched set (or a single mic) terminated how you like without a power supply. For instance, 2 matched 4060's or 4061's terminated together to a single 1/8" stereo miniplug. And, I believe that work is done for the cost of the mics. Len may charge extra for some work, but he didn't when I got my last set

:headphones:

so, yeah, technically they aren't Coresound mics, but they are SOLD by them, which was my point, if you missed it
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:10:26 PM by ilduclo »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 06:13:36 PM »
Exactly as I stated above.

Thanks for the non-contribution to the thread.   Say what you mean, mean what you say.

ilduclo

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 06:20:19 PM »
so, Len matches them and terminates them how you wish, it's a good service, worth going to. And, I don't really like the CS battery box option, the boxes are too large and made of too much metal (wand issues) as opposed to the battery boxes sold by Church or Soundpros. I think that's valuable info that wasn't in your response. YMMV
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:23:39 PM by ilduclo »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 06:38:05 PM »
Nor yours.  Keep digging that ego hole.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com