Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on DPA 4061  (Read 17491 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Advice on DPA 4061
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2019, 01:04:34 PM »
Now,... let me tell you all about Line Audio......

Have you had issues with those?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2019, 02:12:40 PM »
None in the slightest. Totally satisfied. Happy as I can be with them. Great mics.
And, total bonus,... something like $3700 less?

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2019, 09:25:45 PM »
Moke, I have no idea how you stayed with DPA for so long. After the 2-3 failure I would have said enough is enough!

I have run DPAs in the past. First pair of mics that were actually some higher end mics I got. FOB is good for small/medium size venues. But once you get to arenas/amphitheaters, if you aren't near the stacks. I feel everything gets washed out with the omni pattern. Once I got myself some AT853s and MK4s, I realized how much I was missing running a cardioid pattern for the longest time and didn't have to be as near to a source to pull decent tapes.

Really depends on what sort of shows you run at. I loved to stack tape. But I like having the sense of security that even if I am not in the optimum spot for stealthing, I will have a decent chance at a good pull.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2019, 12:06:35 AM »
did some comps last weekend with 4061 and 4099. i have some other clips i havent uploaded yet that are farther from the source, they will prob be posted in same thread eventually

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181868.msg2295147#msg2295147
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181868.msg2295287#msg2295287
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181868.msg2295406#msg2295406
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2019, 04:10:35 AM »
did some comps last weekend with 4061 and 4099. i have some other clips i havent uploaded yet that are farther from the source, they will prob be posted in same thread eventually

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181868.msg2295147#msg2295147
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181868.msg2295287#msg2295287
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181868.msg2295406#msg2295406

Excellent, thank you very much!
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2019, 08:14:20 AM »
I think the 406x series are really great small omnis, very clean and detailed.  The typical strengths and limitations of that polar pattern apply, of course, but they are awesome when you're in the "omni zone".

DPA's line of modular mics are also excellent.  Fantastic sonically and outstanding build quality.  Various capsules, several pre-amps, and a broad range of cool accessories are available.  Every review I have read has been enthusiastic and I don't recall seeing any descriptions of issues.  Definitely worth a look if you are a fan of the DPA house sound...

Offline bonghitwillie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2019, 10:32:55 PM »
i have a lot of dpa4061s that i bought used off of ebay. i have noticed that after a while some had a drop in volume (6db problem?). i never knew what it was. thought it might be my power supply or recorder. i would just swap them out after a while with another one. i usually have 4 sets ready to go at any given time. any idea what causes the 6bd loss? sometimes it goes back to normal. dosen't  dpa make a 4062 that handles more spl than a 4061?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2019, 02:44:28 AM »
From what I’ve read on here the 6dB drop is due to the mics being ‘sweated out’ which means they were abused in a bunch of theater situations. And are at or near the end of their life apparently. The fact that you say it is intermittent is interesting. Perhaps you can try to clean them using DPAs method on their website.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

ilduclo

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2019, 08:51:19 AM »
The sudden vol drop is usually a death knell.

Offline Andy x123

• Taperssection Newbie
Terminating A DPA 4061 to a 3.5mm TRS Jack for Saramonic TX9
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2020, 02:19:44 PM »
Hi, can anyone help.
I have a set of Saramonic UwMic 9 wireless receiver RX9/ with 2 transmitter TX9.
I’m currently upgrade my lavaliers to new Dpa 4061 but the one I have bought has a 3 pin lemo on.

The Saramonic uses a 3.5mm TRS screw jack, I have bought all parts ready for soldering just need a wiring diagram and a few bits advice see below.

I’ve been trying to contact Saramonic to to find out info but I’m having language problems as there main technical support seems like it’s in Hong Kong and they don’t understand my questions.

1) What Bias Voltage does the saramonic transmitter TX9 pack give to condenser lavaliers such as the 4061.
(The 4061 is designed to function at full specification with a Bias Voltage of 5v DC to the mic but can work as low as 3.3v DC)

2) Can you better explain how to wire a 3.5mm TRS Jack for an UNBALANCED microphone (dpa 4061).
To be used with the UwMic 9 transmitter (TX9) system.

What wire goes to the tip ?
What wire goes to the ring ?
What wire goes to the sleeve ?

I’ve separated the wire on the dpa and I have the outer braid shield with one single inner core.

Dpa seem to think that the saramonic might follow the sennheiser lav mic wiring but I just want to make sure before I go ahead.

Just struggling to find all the information to piece together.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2020, 10:10:50 AM »
I'm unaware of Saramonic nor how the TRS should be wired for use with it, but will venture an educated guess.  As for the 4061, the center conductor is signal/bias+ (5 to 9VDC bias voltage is optimal), and the braided shield is shield/ground.

Best guess on the wiring assignment (presuming TX9 provides appropriate bias voltage)-
Probable assignments:
Center conductor signal wire to tip.
Shield/ground to sleeve.

The question is how to wire the ring connection. If the same transmitter accepts 3-wire mics, the ring connection is most likely bias voltage, separate from signal +, in which case you'll most likely need to connect ring and tip together.

That differs from the typical stereo pair 2-wire wiring setup common to tapers on this forum, where tip and ring are shared signal/bias from each mic and both shield/grounds are attached to sleeve.  Which is wired to a single (stereo) TRS as follows: left signal to tip, right signal to ring, both shield/grounds to sleeve.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2020, 04:33:17 PM »
I had a pair of these, and love them (great sound), but ...

I also experienced a db drop, didn't fix it, and sold it. 

I have a couple pairs of Schoeps and never looked back.  I have done 8 straight hours in 90° temps with 90% humidity (Jazz Fests, Stagecoach, and Dessert Trips) with the Schoeps and trashed the actives with salt deposits, but the mikes are still perfect.  I tend to do large sweaty outdoor venues in battlefield conditions. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline perks

• Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2020, 05:06:40 PM »

I have a couple pairs of Schoeps and never looked back.  I have done 8 straight hours in 90° temps with 90% humidity (Jazz Fests, Stagecoach, and Dessert Trips) with the Schoeps and trashed the actives with salt deposits, but the mikes are still perfect. I tend to do large sweaty outdoor venues in battlefield conditions.

Hi Scooter - I hope you don't mind me asking about what happens to your actives when they have taken on to much sweat. I'm asking because I've run into an issue where my actives cables (made with the Mogami cabling not Schoeps Kevlar covered cables) starts to get stiff after a couple of years of heavy use and the cable stiffness below the coupling makes the capsule rub against the fabric hiding the mics causing unwanted noise on my recording. Ironically my cables are getting sweat on during the coldest Arctic Blast type of conditions because I throw on multiple layers allowing me to walk to most of my local venues. Sending the cables back to Nick is easy enough for a quick replacement so its never been a major issue but I've always wondered if the Schoeps branded cables would do a better job at repelling the sweat. Is this the same issue you have dealt with? All of the local tapers (to me)with Nboxes dont seem to get to that heavy usage state so no one else I know has needed to deal with this issue.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2020, 06:28:42 PM »
^ FWIW, I find the same happens with the cable jackets on the DPA miniatures eventually getting stiff after years of stealth use (at at some later point cracking and eventually falling off in places), while the mics themselves continue working fine.  This is one reason I wish DPA would offer the option of a microdot connection at the microphone rather than only with a built-in cable.

Otherwise the DPA miniature omnis have been proven to withstand even complete immersion in rainwater for hours (accidentally) in addition to 100% humidity and 100°F heat and the copious sweat that incurs on some occasions at 4 day / 12+ hr day festivals  in FL and NC.  Good to hear Schoeps caps are able to handle that as well.  I've always been concerned about externally polarized caps being damaged or "going spitty" in those conditions, and not wishing to subject what I consider my "reference" SDC Gefells to that was one major impetus in my shift to using miniature DPA 4098 supercards where I'd previously used the Geffs.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2020, 05:06:54 PM »
Coachella and Desert Trip were just fucking brutal.  98° and in the sun most of the day.  I can't leave my seat because I would have to go through security again, and I'm not going to risk that.  Jazz Fest was no picnic either, same temperatures but add 90% humidity.  During Bruce and Eric Clapton, women around me were passing out and parameds were called into stretcher them out.  I think we lost about a half dozen for each show.  I can't drink water, because I would have to pee and pee my pants or lose my spot in the pit.  So I suck on an Orange and sip water. 

I send my sweat soaked actives to Nick and he repairs them.  I think he simply takes them apart and cleans them and runs new wire, although the wire is probably good. Nick cleans them and I forget what he charges me--its reasonable.   I have 3 sets of actives so its no big deal.  I think he has done this drill a couple times. 

Nick reminded of a scene in Goldfinger where M admonishes 007 that he was treating the equipment with contempt.  007 tells M "You'd be surprised how much wear and tear goes on out in the field."

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byVccwJ0L1c
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 05:12:02 PM by Scooter123 »
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com