Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How far back is too far?  (Read 27124 times)

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re:How far back is too far?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2003, 10:02:12 AM »
The Flecktones allow taping from wherever, too, although some venues are d|cks about it and won't let you in with your gear...

Geoff, I just bought a pair of gefell M300's.  I love the first two tapes I pulled with them...  I considered the 210's, but decided to buy a wmod UA5 at the same time, and didn't have enough for the 210's and the wmod UA5.  

So far I'm not at all regretting my decision at all...  When I was doing research, I d/led lots of shows (with all sorts of mics), and the M300 and M210's sound so similar IMO the real reason for buying the 210's is if you want hyper caps...  I know lots of people disagree, but I trusted my ears on this one and am very happy :)

Offline hippies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2003, 10:08:20 AM »
That's one of the big reason's I love the Allmans. They let you tape where ever you can score tickets....wish more bands did that.

They do, the ABB and DMB are the two bands that are the most well known for having the most relaxed taping policy....

Nick

yep, there are others.  isn't Derek Trucks Band the same way?  we've got 5th row DFC seats for a really nice Theatre in Milwaukee in a couple weeks.  planning on taping from there.  ;)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2003, 10:28:17 AM »
That's one of the big reason's I love the Allmans. They let you tape where ever you can score tickets....wish more bands did that.

They do, the ABB and DMB are the two bands that are the most well known for having the most relaxed taping policy....

Nick

yep, there are others.  isn't Derek Trucks Band the same way?  we've got 5th row DFC seats for a really nice Theatre in Milwaukee in a couple weeks.  planning on taping from there.  ;)

You'r right, I just tend to get a little defensive when DMB is left off of a liberal taping policy discussion.....whether you like 'em or not....so yes, I forgot a few bands as well...thanks for keeping me straight Scott....

Nick

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2003, 10:31:54 AM »
The Flecktones allow taping from wherever, too, although some venues are d|cks about it and won't let you in with your gear...

Geoff, I just bought a pair of gefell M300's.  I love the first two tapes I pulled with them...  I considered the 210's, but decided to buy a wmod UA5 at the same time, and didn't have enough for the 210's and the wmod UA5.  

So far I'm not at all regretting my decision at all...  When I was doing research, I d/led lots of shows (with all sorts of mics), and the M300 and M210's sound so similar IMO the real reason for buying the 210's is if you want hyper caps...  I know lots of people disagree, but I trusted my ears on this one and am very happy :)

how far back have you tried them?

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2003, 10:32:33 AM »
DTB is even more lenient than the Allmans.  Only issue is if they project images on the backdrop, then you can't set up in the line of the projector.  I have only seen them do this once, when the Brotherhood of Sound and Light was on three shows with them.  Otherwise, its anything goes.  Totally nice soundguy!

5th row may be a bit too close for DTB.  You may want to investigate trading them for seats a bit farther back.  I taped the group in a theater from the 10th row and that was about the minimum without getting holes in the soundstage and capturing the vocals.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2003, 10:32:53 AM »
hehe, I just mentioned the Allman's because I have seen them, never seen DMB, not a big fan, but I do know they allow you to tape where ever you want.

Not sure on DTB, pretty sure it's the same thing, I saw in back in November in a real small club here in ROchester, no seats so I am not sure how they are with seats. Have fun at Trucks, he really rips it up with that band of his.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2003, 11:46:16 AM »
will havta see how wide/ deep the Pit is at this Theatre.  been there, but it's been a while.  depending on how far back from Stage Row 5 actually is will make my decision for me if i have to move, i guess.  really nice Theatre.

http://www.pabsttheater.org/history/architect.lasso

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2003, 11:49:00 AM »
just make sure--if you are farther back than you'd like--that you dont run your mics up too high.  If your mics are pointing at the top of the stacks, you wont be getting the sound that is intended for you to hear.  Even at the back of a pavilion, like at shorline, dont run em too high.  
Just remember that the soundman sets up the stacks to be the best sounding at head level, no matter where you are...that's why 7-9 feet is recommended...but thats in theory.  Whether or not it actually is happening is a different story.  Sound systems like the V-Dosc is a line array system which is intended to have the same quality sound whether you are up front or farther back.
Just posting my 2cents
Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2003, 11:51:12 AM »
just make sure--if you are farther back than you'd like--that you dont run your mics up too high.  If your mics are pointing at the top of the stacks, you wont be getting the sound that is intended for you to hear.  Even at the back of a pavilion, like at shorline, dont run em too high.  
Just remember that the soundman sets up the stacks to be the best sounding at head level, no matter where you are...that's why 7-9 feet is recommended...but thats in theory.  Whether or not it actually is happening is a different story.  Sound systems like the V-Dosc is a line array system which is intended to have the same quality sound whether you are up front or farther back.
Just posting my 2cents
Phil

unfortunatly running at 7-9 feet at a few of these show will get too much of little girls screaming  :P but its good to know.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2003, 11:51:38 AM by geoff piper »

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2003, 01:19:02 PM »
key word...is "a few"
Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2003, 04:25:15 PM »
so your opinion is to run mics at 7-9 feet from the back of pavillion's regardless eh Phil?  hmm interesting.  to me, where and how high to run varies greatly depending on the artist/ mic-capsule choice/ stack array/ location/ crowd/ etc.

nice to meet ya, Phil.  how long ya been taping with your own mics?  what kinda mics/ rig do you own, and where have you been testing out this standard 7-9 foot theory?  you have me extremely curious now as to the basis in real world experience for this theory of yours.  ;)  

peace

~S      
« Last Edit: March 26, 2003, 04:29:46 PM by hippies »

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2003, 04:52:51 PM »
The only time I have run that low was at show where the speakers where sitting on the ground and I was up real close with minimal crowd.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2003, 05:11:24 PM »
right.  or in a smaller club or something, i agree completely.  

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2003, 06:07:29 PM »
Well i got 3 of the 6 shows i requested through warehouse... not seat assignments either so my rig decision has to wait some more for seat assigments and see how ticketmaster treats me... >:( :(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2003, 06:16:56 PM by geoff piper »

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2003, 09:18:45 PM »
Geoff, I just got the Gefell's, so I haven't taped too much with them yet ;)  

That said, I don't go to many arena shows.  My wife loves DMB, so those are the biggest shows we tape.  I'm taping D+T next Monday, so I'll let you know what I think then.  We're pretty much DFC, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back ;)

My normal taping scene is small clubs (<250 or so people) or medium venues (<1500 or so)...  For me, the M300's are working out really well.  I'm listening to the Guster show I taped last night at Bogart's, a pretty crappy sounding venue, and it sounds fantastic.

Of course, I taped from the middle of the floor :D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com