Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Low End Blowout

<< < (2/6) > >>

fanofjam:

--- Quote from: breakonthru on April 26, 2024, 11:23:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: grawk on April 26, 2024, 05:48:49 PM ---peak at -18 instead of 0

--- End quote ---
this. Sphere went +12dB at points

--- End quote ---

Did you see the clip going around about Drew Carey's Phish Sphere experience?  Loved it.  :)

opsopcopolis:
Goose loves doing that shit. I find it kinda obnoxious. But yeah, no real reason to be peaking at 0, just run lower and you should be safe(er). Can always engage deck limiter right at 0 to save it from actually distorting if you're so inclined

morst:
When I saw Hamilton in SF (Yes, Lin-Manuel Miranda's musical theatre production) there was one big bass bomb in each of the two acts every night.

Slightly off topic: Great interview with Hamilton touring sound mixer Kevin McCoy by Mythbuster Adam Savage here, but doesn't really mention the bass bombs
https://youtu.be/60OpF3DCVls?si=8CGVDzhBRaPRkmTA

flysquirrel:

--- Quote from: morst on April 27, 2024, 01:40:08 AM ---
Slightly off topic: Great interview with Hamilton touring sound mixer Kevin McCoy by Mythbuster Adam Savage here, but doesn't really mention the bass bombs
https://youtu.be/60OpF3DCVls?si=8CGVDzhBRaPRkmTA

--- End quote ---

Thanks for posting this, Morst.  I really enjoyed that behind-the-scenes glimpse.  It all seems easy until you realize how many DPAs must constantly be in the process of failing on any given night!     Also sent you a private message on an unrelated topic if you can take a look.

breakonthru:

--- Quote from: mterry on April 26, 2024, 05:35:10 PM ---One thing I’ve notice since getting back into taping, are bands just throwing some absolute bass bombs. I had this happen to me in 2023 at Goose in Spokane and Phish in Nashville. I was taping FOB both shows, and for the phish show, I wasn’t the only one who suffered from massive distortion. Has this been more of an instance the last few years? Is it the curse
Of running up front? What is everyone doing to mitigate this shit storm of low end distortion that can’t be helped???

--- End quote ---
your 2012s are very sensitive to bass. Not as much as an Omni, but more than a cardioid or hyper/supercard

There’s really no penalty to having your levels peak lower with modern recording equipment. The noise floor of any decent recorder is well above that of the mics themselves. That’s apart from the noise of the crowd which is even higher

It’s not like the days of 16 bit recorders with noisy inputs. You can peak at -20 to -12 and come out with a great recording with no fear of clipping

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version