Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ugly waveform after applying hard-limiter (screen caps and samples included)  (Read 2745 times)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Hello,

I'm just starting with post-processing. I have a OO7 audience recording that I'd like to improve. My goal is to limit clappers and wooooooo girls in order to be able to normalize waveform based on actual music.

So I've tried an hard-limit filter on selected parts. I think it sounds OK, but the waveform becomes pretty ugly...

I've joined screen caps and before/after samples. I'd like to have your opinion: should I keep using the hard-limit filter, or are there safer ways to limit woooooooooooooo people in post?

Thanks!
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Looks like you’re limiter is setting a hard cutoff. You may want to try using compression instead of limiting.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
For small passages I often use Audacity's envelope tool.  If the program you're using has something similar, maybe give that a try. 
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
For small passages I often use Audacity's envelope tool.  If the program you're using has something similar, maybe give that a try.

^ What heathen says.  Once you get the knack, it's fast and easy.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
envelope here as well but in wavelab.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:09:06 AM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
I use envelope in cool edit. Definitely the way to go, both UP (for quiet music/talking) and DOWN (for loud applause)

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
I'm a limiter/compression person. I don't see any problem with hard limiting peaks like clapping or random very loud crowd reacts

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
I think that the problem with just hard limiting the peaks is that reducing the relative RMS value of the applause is what really matters.  You need an envelope adjustment to accomplish this.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

ilduclo

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
I think that the problem with just hard limiting the peaks is that reducing the relative RMS value of the applause is what really matters.  You need an envelope adjustment to accomplish this.

Not really. The envelope tool in these programs is just volume automation. Assuming the applause is louder than the music, and that is what you're trying to correct, a well set compressor will get the job done.

At the end of the day, it really depends on your workflow. I don't normalize, I amplify on the output stage of my limiter, allowing the limiter to basically all the work. If I needed to do something destructive so that I could normalize the file at the end, it might be different. That being said, I'm pretty lazy, and automating all the applause sounds like a major PITA
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:43:35 AM by opsopcopolis »

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
From my point of view, the OP only set a too aggressive threshold and - if available in his DAW or VST plugin - he also should have used a longer look-ahead period.
For surgical (hard-knee) limiting - such as the occasional clappers etc. - I use Fabfilter Pro C2. (Pro L2 only for limiting the master.)

• The key is to enable oversampling and lookahead.
  • Moreover, disable auto-gain, set the gain level to 0.
  • Eventually, choose an appropriate threshold level.
  • Apply to the impacted section of the waveform.
  • If the peak appears to have been "chopped off", adapt the threshold level (i.e. set it to a less aggressive level) and repeat.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 05:05:33 AM by if_then_else »

Offline strangerinusall

• Taperssection Newbie
With iZotope it is possible to reduce most of the disturbing factors. My version is based on hard-limiter-before.mp3, no further EQ etc. From here you can refine the sound according to your taste.
However, in my opinion this only makes sense with the original recording.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter

Not really. The envelope tool in these programs is just volume automation. Assuming the applause is louder than the music, and that is what you're trying to correct, a well set compressor will get the job done.

At the end of the day, it really depends on your workflow. I don't normalize, I amplify on the output stage of my limiter, allowing the limiter to basically all the work. If I needed to do something destructive so that I could normalize the file at the end, it might be different. That being said, I'm pretty lazy, and automating all the applause sounds like a major PITA

Agree with this. I'd never automate anything from an audience recording unless the stand gets kicked hard and needs an isolated HPF.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com