Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Pre's w/no meters (DPA MMA-6000)-how to level?

(1/3) > >>

SMsound:
I've been offered a DPA MMA-6000 pre, and I've been thinking about adding some 4061 and other d:screet/CORE mics to the stable. So now for the stupid question: How are you all setting levels on pre's like this that lack meters? I don't think I've ever used a pre that, in the worst case, didn't have at least one LED to tell you when you're clipping.

Even if I convert dBu to dBFS and try to match levels, I have no idea how much gain the different DPA mics need, having never used them. Surely I'm missing something basic here.

Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B):
Hopefully your recorder shows levels.

So if you're going into something like a Sony M10 you can set your levels on the MMA6000 and read them on the screen of the M10.

fireonshakedwnstreet:
I looked through the VERY sparse manual and it said max output was +/- 1.5V. There is, however no info on the max input level before clipping. 1.5V translates to +5.74 dBu. For comparison, the MixPre preamp clips at +22dBu and the Naiant boxes at +17dBu. So the DPA has a lot less headroom. If you use a rough reference of +20dBu = 0dbfs, then you are looking at a level of around -15 dbfs to your recorder before the preamp clips. Seems to me you wouldn't be able to drive this preamp much without clipping. Then you have to take into the account the sensitivity of the mics and the spls at the show.

I personally would not feel comfortable running a preamp with such a low clipping level without at least 10db outboard pads at the preamp input. This would allow you to apply some gain with some additional headroom. I will also add that you may want to monitor the preamp while setting levels for any hint of distortion.

SMsound:

--- Quote from: Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) on March 06, 2022, 10:34:08 PM ---Hopefully your recorder shows levels.

So if you're going into something like a Sony M10 you can set your levels on the MMA6000 and read them on the screen of the M10.

--- End quote ---

I'll probably be recording with a MixPre-6 through the channel 5/6 Aux input. But the levels on the MixPre-6 won't match the Pre's levels---I could have a cold recording on the MixPre-6 but still be clipping the preamp, as the signal is attenuated when going from the preamp into the MixPre's aux input. Or at least, I think this is the case.

--- Quote from: fireonshakedwnstreet on March 06, 2022, 11:05:51 PM ---I looked through the VERY sparse manual and it said max output was +/- 1.5V. There is, however no info on the max input level before clipping. 1.5V translates to +5.74 dBu. For comparison, the MixPre preamp clips at +22dBu and the Naiant boxes at +17dBu. So the DPA has a lot less headroom. If you use a rough reference of +20dBu = 0dbfs, then you are looking at a level of around -15 dbfs to your recorder before the preamp clips. Seems to me you wouldn't be able to drive this preamp much without clipping. Then you have to take into the account the sensitivity of the mics and the spls at the show.

I personally would not feel comfortable running a preamp with such a low clipping level without at least 10db outboard pads at the preamp input. This would allow you to apply some gain with some additional headroom. I will also add that you may want to monitor the preamp while setting levels for any hint of distortion.

--- End quote ---

^^ This is exactly what I was worried about. Somehow, I have read on TS that some members were getting good results from this pre---I really wonder how they could figure out how much gain to apply. As far as I know, the DPA pre doesn't have limiters, so you're screwed if you give it too much. Kindof defeats the purpose of having a preamp... I still feel like I'm missing something here as they make good stuff. It can't just be "apply gain until the distortion is so bad you can hear it over the concert, then back off a bit".

fireonshakedwnstreet:
Yep. This pre seems sensitive, especially for loud rock and roll. I would def pad the input, 10 or even 15 db. You probably could run without a pad, but seems you would run into trouble driving it. I had a similar issue with the MixPre when I first got it. Could only add very little gain. Now I run it with a 20 db pad and can drive it to 3 o'clock on the pots with no clipping. Tape something you don't care about with some pads on the inputs and try to find the sweet spot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version