Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Tagging question

(1/5) > >>

ts:
Just started tagging. About time, huh. :yack: Anyway, I'm using a program called mp3tag and not sure if my work flow is right. I've been tagging the 24 bit wav files to save time, but it appears when I review the flacs, the tags are gone.  :shrug:

vanark:

--- Quote from: ts on March 31, 2022, 12:12:46 PM ---Just started tagging. About time, huh. :yack: Anyway, I'm using a program called mp3tag and not sure if my work flow is right. I've been tagging the 24 bit wav files to save time, but it appears when I review the flacs, the tags are gone.  :shrug:

--- End quote ---

WAV's don't transfer the tags to the FLAC's. Tag the FLAC's.

rocksuitcase:
Yes, tagging is for .flac, .mp3, .ogg, .vorbis .aiff etc

.wav's need no tagging as, unless you are burning them to a CD, you are not sharing .wavs (and the tags will not transfer to the CD, as .cdwav are audio, not data files.

I was reluctant, to say the least, to start tagging until someone described it to me this way: while sitting in my car listening to a show of mine,he pointed to the dashboard which read "gdyyyy-mm-ddtxxx"
HE goes, "if you tagged them they would read: "Grateful Dead, date, venue, etc." he sold me right then. I've been using foobar2000 tagging ever since as foobar2000 is part of my workflow now that I tag .flacs

Gutbucket:
There can be tags, and markers, appended to the WAV file as metadata, but FLAC won't recognize that except noting it as extra metadata.  Even though FLAC doesn't recognize what that metadata is, it can still retain it (note the "retain foreign metadata" checkbox in TLH, which tells it to either retain or strip that data away).

Your recorder may well include this kind of metadata in the WAV (storing markers, perhaps tags and other info) and your DAW may or may not recognize that. 

BWAV or broadcast wav format is a standardized format for metadata appended to a WAV file.

ts:

--- Quote from: vanark on March 31, 2022, 12:18:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: ts on March 31, 2022, 12:12:46 PM ---Just started tagging. About time, huh. :yack: Anyway, I'm using a program called mp3tag and not sure if my work flow is right. I've been tagging the 24 bit wav files to save time, but it appears when I review the flacs, the tags are gone.  :shrug:

--- End quote ---

WAV's don't transfer the tags to the FLAC's. Tag the FLAC's.

--- End quote ---

Ok, one more stupid question. Run the checksums after the flacs are tagged?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version