Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

brickwalling / clipping...

(1/4) > >>

justink:
using a d7 / d8...  does the tape ALWAYS clip when you go "over," or is there some leeway...

like, can you hit 0db sometimes, w/out the tape clipping?

i had a horrible tape do this w/ a sony md once....

thanks!

-j

F.O.Bean:

--- Quote from: justink on August 25, 2003, 05:41:01 PM ---using a d7 / d8...  does the tape ALWAYS clip when you go "over," or is there some leeway...

like, can you hit 0db sometimes, w/out the tape clipping?

i had a horrible tape do this w/ a sony md once....

thanks!

-j

--- End quote ---

just because an over (0db) occurs, it doesnt mean it is audible.....depends on pre/ad/mic selection.....i slam my akg 481's >into a graham patten dmic-20, and WANT to hit over, it gives you more bits and frequency response to come as close or on zero as much as possiblee..... 8)

greenone:
Brickwalling and clipping are two different things...you can brickwall without going over 0db.

Brickwalling is what happens when you're running your levels too low into your deck (mic in) and making the deck's preamp overload; this typically happens below (I think) 4.5 on the knob. That's why you always want to go LINE IN and bypass the internal preamp (and still feed your deck as hot a signal as possible).

And as bean said, *audible* clipping definitely doesn't always occur on an over; on a transient over like a cymbal crash or audience clapping, you won't notice it because it's such a quick spike. When you're constantly riding into the "OVER" lights, that's when it becomes audible.

--Dave

F.O.Bean:

--- Quote from: greenone on August 25, 2003, 09:34:32 PM ---Brickwalling and clipping are two different things...you can brickwall without going over 0db.

Brickwalling is what happens when you're running your levels too low into your deck (mic in) and making the deck's preamp overload; this typically happens below (I think) 4.5 on the knob. That's why you always want to go LINE IN and bypass the internal preamp (and still feed your deck as hot a signal as possible).

And as bean said, *audible* clipping definitely doesn't always occur on an over; on a transient over like a cymbal crash or audience clapping, you won't notice it because it's such a quick spike. When you're constantly riding into the "OVER" lights, that's when it becomes audible.

--Dave

--- End quote ---

even when i run the 480/dmic-20 combo as hot as hell(ie. constant overs) its still not audible, at least not in that combo...... 8)

greenone:
of course, if you can do "magical thingz with microphonez" like bean-o, you need not worry about brickwalling, clipping, eaten tapes, chatty crowds, w00k bowling... ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version