Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New rig -- just missing the cabling  (Read 2107 times)

Offline monochromic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
New rig -- just missing the cabling
« on: June 29, 2005, 07:54:35 AM »
i'm in the process of getting my new rig setup and have just about everything sorted except for cabling, and i was hoping you guys would be able to offer me your thoughts. :)

i've just finished browsing through the posts in this forum and in the archive and have jotted down a list of the type of cabling i think i'll be needing;

• 7-pin active -> v3. i'll have an oade active 7-pin which i'll connect one end to a d100, but am i correct in saying that i'll need an additional digi cable to connect the oad 7-pin to the v3?
  • mic bodies -> v3. using the kc5g cables, and having the mic bodies in the bag, i'll only be needing short xlr(f) -> xlr(f) cables. leegeddy and kindcables all have numerous mentions and i'd be happy to pick up a pair from either of these guys, but canare's seem to get rave reviews also. right angle seems to be the way to go.
  • battery power -> v3. i've yet to sort out the v3 power situation, being in australia i'll have to either pick up a pack from the u.s. and use a step-down converter for charging here with 240v or go via some other route. but back to the cabling -- a right-angle power cable to the battery pack seems the way to go, leegeddy or kindcables could again provide this?

i think that's it, although i have a feeling i'm missing something. any thoughts, corrections and/or recommendations most appreciated.

brett.
Team Australia
Schoeps MK41/KC5/CMC6xt > Neve Portico 5012 > 722

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New rig -- just missing the cabling
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 12:20:28 PM »
  • 7-pin active -> v3. i'll have an oade active 7-pin which i'll connect one end to a d100, but am i correct in saying that i'll need an additional digi cable to connect the oad 7-pin to the v3?
  • mic bodies -> v3. using the kc5g cables, and having the mic bodies in the bag, i'll only be needing short xlr(f) -> xlr(f) cables. leegeddy and kindcables all have numerous mentions and i'd be happy to pick up a pair from either of these guys, but canare's seem to get rave reviews also. right angle seems to be the way to go.
  • battery power -> v3. i've yet to sort out the v3 power situation, being in australia i'll have to either pick up a pack from the u.s. and use a step-down converter for charging here with 240v or go via some other route. but back to the cabling -- a right-angle power cable to the battery pack seems the way to go, leegeddy or kindcables could again provide this?

v3 is really easy to work with in terms of cables. no quirks about spacing, special connectors, etc.

1. you'll need a short s/pdif cable to connect the v3 > oade 7pin.
2. short IC with right angle xlr. Canare/Belden are fine cables, but silver clad cables are better
3. the ESA brand of 9v lithium battery comes with a universal charger that accepts 240v, so you don't need a converter.  cable wise, you'll need a simple 9v lithium > v3 power plug. i specially make RA V3 power cables too.

congrats on the v3 acquisition. it's a damn fine piece of gear.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline monochromic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 04:11:46 PM »
thanks for your help marc, i think i now understand the interconnect/cabling -- you'll be hearing from me soon !

i'm still a little miffed by the power side of things though -- i wasn't able to come up with much information on the ESA 9v battery or 240v charger, maybe i'm looking in the wrong places. if you could nudge me in the right direction that'd be great. i, unfortunately for myself, have no idea when it comes to portable battery/power solutions.
Team Australia

Offline monochromic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 11:40:58 PM »
congrats on the v3 acquisition. it's a damn fine piece of gear.

no v3 as yet, still hoping to snag a used one.
Team Australia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com