Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which sample you like better and why?

I like sample A and think it is the DPAs
I like sample A and think it is the Nevatons
I like sample B and think it is the DPAs
I like sample B and think it is the Nevatons
They both suck!

Author Topic: Mic Comp: DPA4060 vs. Nevaton MCE400  (Read 18884 times)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Mic Comp: DPA4060 vs. Nevaton MCE400
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2011, 10:52:03 AM »
First off thank you for the comp Jamie!  I think that this comp was more of a mic positioning comp than anything else.  I own 4061's & the Nevaton's so I don't care who "wins".  I like them both.  But as I stated earlier my 4061's have never sounded anything like what I heard from the sample A, 4060's in this comp. 

What kind of gear would I have to use with my 4061's & mce400's to make it a somewhat equal and valuable comp?  I do NOT have the phantom power adapters for the dpa's.  I think that I still have access to two V3's that have not been modded and using the digi out on both should take care of that part, I can run both pairs of mics over-and-under, side-by-side or whatever closely matched config so that they will be very close to the same position relative to the sound source.  Any suggestions?

Honestly, going back and listening to various recordings I have made in that room with both sets of mics, I notice similar results in almost all recordings.
The samples I posted were from the only time I ran both at the same time though.
I like both mics and will run them either or without any hesitation!

Like I stated before, I am not a real big fan of the 406x mics directly into the 7xx recorders.
Thus, the phantom adapters I have are seldom used, I would be happy to send them your way for a while if you want to do some comps of your own.

LMK

jamie
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2011, 11:16:26 AM »
My dpa's are microdots.

Well after checking I do NOT have access to that 2nd stock V3 now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:42:38 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2011, 11:21:52 AM »
First off thank you for the comp Jamie!  I think that this comp was more of a mic positioning comp than anything else.  I own 4061's & the Nevaton's so I don't care who "wins".  I like them both.  But as I stated earlier my 4061's have never sounded anything like what I heard from the sample A, 4060's in this comp. 

What kind of gear would I have to use with my 4061's & mce400's to make it a somewhat equal and valuable comp?  I do NOT have the phantom power adapters for the dpa's.  I think that I still have access to two V3's that have not been modded and using the digi out on both should take care of that part, I can run both pairs of mics over-and-under, side-by-side or whatever closely matched config so that they will be very close to the same position relative to the sound source.  Any suggestions?

Like I stated before, I am not a real big fan of the 406x mics directly into the 7xx recorders.
Thus, the phantom adapters I have are seldom used, I would be happy to send them your way for a while if you want to do some comps of your own.

LMK

jamie

Hello Jamie - I'd like to try the dpa phantom adapters running out of a V3 and then take it from there.  Thanks for the offer.  I should be able to do a stage lip jazz comp in the near future.  PM sent.

David

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2011, 11:41:17 AM »

I may have just lined up the following recording chains, made available by borrowing a mytek 192 adc locally:

dpa 4061 > v3 > mytek adc192 digi out > to a bit bucket

nevaton mce400 > v3 > mytek adc192 digi out > to a bit bucket

Just waiting on the word on the mytek, that shouldn't be a problem.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:43:32 AM by dactylus »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2011, 11:49:57 AM »
No chance of bias for the electrons at least in those chains, David.  Just keep the mics as close as possible and oriented the same direction- differences in directionality probably play a decent roll here.

Dunno about direct into a SD recorder, but I've had no problems and very good sound IMO running 4060s through Niaint PFAs directly into either an OCM R-44 or DR680.  I also have a single DPA microdot>XLR adapter, but since I usually use the Niant PFAs, I've only used that once when I did a 5 omni surround recording a couple weeks ago driect to the DR-680.  The DPA>microdot powering adapter was used for one of the surround channels.  That recording has no problems and sounds very good, but I haven't listened to each channel in isolation or just the surround pair.  I'll give that a close listen tonight when I get home tonight to see if I can detect any obvious differences between the DPA adapter and the Niaiant PFAs.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2011, 07:00:54 PM »
I have to say "I told you so" for this comparison!!!

I went out and bought a (new) pair of DPA4060 and thought, OK, I'm done.  But when I used them they just didn't sound good.  Everything was there, the detail, the clarity, and intense realism for ambient recordings.  They just did not sound good for music.  I found myself listening to "the room" rather than "the music".  I found myself preferring other recordings, even with "lowly" mics like the Panasonic WM60/61.  This was a big disappointment...

I cannot provide a scientific explanation, but IMO there is something wrong with these mics.  If I had to guess, I would say there is something distorting at higher frequencies (perhaps because they use a rectangular non-tensioned diaphragm).  The only microphones that I feel have *both* detail and natural sound for music are metal diaphragm units, such as Nevaton and Countryman B3 (both use a stainless steel diaphragm).  You'll also notice that DPA made their name by introducing metal diaphragm "measurement microphones" (1/2" and 1") mics to the classical recording folks.  Those are the only DPA microphones I've ever liked.  Note that the DPA directional mics are not metal diaphragms either (and I don't like the sound).

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »

I went out and bought a (new) pair of DPA4060 and thought, OK, I'm done.  But when I used them they just didn't sound good.  Everything was there, the detail, the clarity, and intense realism for ambient recordings.  They just did not sound good for music.  I found myself listening to "the room" rather than "the music".  I found myself preferring other recordings, even with "lowly" mics like the Panasonic WM60/61.  This was a big disappointment...

I cannot provide a scientific explanation, but IMO there is something wrong with these mics.  If I had to guess, I would say there is something distorting at higher frequencies (perhaps because they use a rectangular non-tensioned diaphragm).  The only microphones that I feel have *both* detail and natural sound for music are metal diaphragm units, such as Nevaton and Countryman B3 (both use a stainless steel diaphragm).  You'll also notice that DPA made their name by introducing metal diaphragm "measurement microphones" (1/2" and 1") mics to the classical recording folks.  Those are the only DPA microphones I've ever liked.  Note that the DPA directional mics are not metal diaphragms either (and I don't like the sound).

Richard

That's a bit strong, Richard.

I'll be the first to admit I guessed wrong on this one.  But we all know that one sample isn't enough to make a complete judgement.  I'm with David on this one in that I've rarely had 4060 recordings turn out sounding anything like the sample here- one reason I was pretty confident about my guess, and suprised at the result.

Tempted to post any number of 4060 snippets that are some of the most absolutely musical recordings I've made, including many made with more expensive and 'lauded' microphones.  I made a killer one a couple weeks ago that was in mind when listening to this comp.  I'm sure others have similar experiences.

Maybe we get over-influenced by inflated expectations. I was pretty charged up about trying the B3s, but now that I have a few pair I'm a bit underwhelmed. I like them generally and feel they are a good value, but to my ear they are not only noisy enough to bother me but are also sonically- musically- a far cry from whatever it is that works for me with the 4060s on the recodings that really shine.

Though I obviously like the 4060, I like to think I keep an open mind and would like to try the Nevs myself.  They certainly have more of the right stuff in this comp. Your mileage may vary. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2011, 09:08:01 PM »
I cant DL the files from where they are ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2011, 09:31:13 PM »

Try here Bean:

Sample A: http://iput.it/82b108
Sample B: http://iput.it/bcff94

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2011, 09:37:59 PM »
Well, I've posted comps here where the 4061's *excelled* against mk21's, which are fantastic mics.  Two now dead examples:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=51789.msg676886
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=51789.15

In the first one, the 4061 > microtrack  came up in a dead heat against mk21 > 722

I think this nevaton/dpa comp had significant issues with mic placement - or something.   Line of sight is critical to mic performance.  If someone's fat head interferes with line of sight to one of the mics, that's a big problem in the comp.   If one of the people doing the comp has someone tall sitting in front of them, etc.  I'm not suggesting that the Nevaton's can't produce a better recording.  I do have concerns about how the dpa's were worn on the collar, etc.

We need more comps ;)

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2011, 09:38:31 PM »

Richard

That's a bit strong, Richard.

I'll be the first to admit I guessed wrong on this one.  But we all know that one sample isn't enough to make a complete judgement.  I'm with David on this one in that I've rarely had 4060 recordings turn out sounding anything like the sample here- one reason I was pretty confident about my guess, and suprised at the result.

Tempted to post any number of 4060 snippets that are some of the most absolutely musical recordings I've made, including many made with more expensive and 'lauded' microphones.  I made a killer one a couple weeks ago that was in mind when listening to this comp.  I'm sure others have similar experiences.

Maybe we get over-influenced by inflated expectations. I was pretty charged up about trying the B3s, but now that I have a few pair I'm a bit underwhelmed. I like them generally and feel they are a good value, but to my ear they are not only noisy enough to bother me but are also sonically- musically- a far cry from whatever it is that works for me with the 4060s on the recodings that really shine.

Though I obviously like the 4060, I like to think I keep an open mind and would like to try the Nevs myself.  They certainly have more of the right stuff in this comp. Your mileage may vary.
When I say "I told you so".  I was commenting on my own (strong) preferences against the DPA.  This test seems to confirm that many, if not most people, also sense a difference.  At least it raises doubt as to whether DPA is the best microphone as everyone assumes.

The question I ask is why should one microphone sound so much better than another?  We can point to lack of detail, or self noise, or limited/colored frequency response.  But DPA are fine in all this regard.  So why is it that we prefer the Nevs over the DPAs here?  There are some differences between the recordings, but nothing makes up for the qualitative difference we hear.

This is subjective.  Maybe some people prefer the DPA "sound", but not for me.  Maybe I'll do a DPA vs Countryman B3 and present a similar "blind taste test".

Richard

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:41:39 PM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2011, 09:51:05 PM »

Try here Bean:

Sample A: http://iput.it/82b108
Sample B: http://iput.it/bcff94

+T bro. Got em. Listening now :)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2011, 09:55:49 PM »
I prefer SOURCE B. It has better bass response, and is easier on the vocals :) I'm dying to know which is which :) I think that SOURCE B is the DPA's :)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2011, 10:49:42 PM »
I did too.  ;)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2011, 11:21:38 PM »
After reading this whole thread I am really tempted to buy some Nevaton omni's :) I was thinking of getting CA-14 Omnis for around $90.00, but after hearing the nevatons, I am really tempted to save up for them :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.193 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com