Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio Fast Track Pro + Microtrak II  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Ken Kaiser

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
M-Audio Fast Track Pro + Microtrak II
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »
I'm getting ready to record my daughters orchestra performance for the group.  I'm hoping your experience can help me with the best setup.  It will be in a theater (stage/high ceiling/pretty decent acoustics).  Here's what I have available to work with:

Microtrak II
Behringer UB802 mixer
2 x M-Audio Nova large diaphram mic's (cardiod)
Shure Beta57a dynamic mic's
Rode Stereo Video Mic + Panasonic PV-GS500 camcorder

I was planning to use the 2 Nova's as a stereo pair into the Microtrak II, but have read alot about the high noise on the Microtrak II.  Of course, given the two mic inputs and 48V phantom power on the Microtrak that would be the simplest setup.

Another option would be to use my Rode Stereo Video Mic.  I don't really know how the overall sound would be vs. the Nova's though...any feedback?

Would a cheap preamp like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro give me better results than just going directly into the Microtrak II?  It looks like you could use the FTP for phantom and gain, and then use the digital output into the Microtrak II.  I assume that this would be a better combination than using the UB802 into the analog inputs, but maybe not if the UB802 has lower noise?

If anybody has experience or recommendations on what would give me the best results with what I have, or a better setup, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Ken

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
Re: M-Audio Fast Track Pro + Microtrak II
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »
I used to run that exact rig- FTP>MT. Pulled some great recrodings with it, so that would be my rec. Set up the Nova's on stage if possible.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline Ken Kaiser

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 01:42:23 PM »
Thanks for the quick feedback!

I just finished a little "playing" in the living room.

The Nova>UB802>MT line input - not too bad.  I had the input level all the way down on the MT.  One strange thing was that if I turned the level down on the UB802 too far I can hear a strange hiss/clicking periodic sound on the MT.  It goes away with a higher gain on the mic from the mixer.

I also tried the Nova mic direct to the MT using it's built in phantom power...horrible.  There is a constant noise with a periodic clicking as I heard above, at all levels.  It sounded terrible.  I don't know if I did something wrong or if the analog input on the MT is just that bad.

So, if I'm not buying anything I'll try the first setup.  I don't know if you know or not if I would get better sound from the FTP using the digital input on the MT?  I would think so, but I don't know if it would be noticeably better or not?  The FTP looks like a nice little box, and you could rig it up on batteries when necessary, so it may be a nice addition for me.  This particular session is in a nice environment, but I like to record outdoor folk jams alot, and small/portable/battery powered is important then.

Regarding mic placement, we were at an orchestra performance last night where they were using two B&K ($$!!) omni's, spaced about 12' apart, probably 14' high, in front of the stage.  I haven't heard the recording yet, but I bet it's pretty good.

With the mic's I have, would you recommend just mounting them xy on a bar center stage?

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 01:56:37 PM »
Did you switch the sensitivity on the MT? There's a little switch on the side, says like L/M/H or something, that needs to be set correctly if you are running the MT standalone.

Here's a show I recorded with a pair of Peluso cards>FTP>MT:

http://www.archive.org/details/db2007-02-16.cemc64.flac16

That gives a pretty good idea what the set up is capable of.

Personally, I'd probably run them ~ 1' apart on stage if possible. I assume this is not amplified?

My LMA Recordings

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 03:52:18 PM »
Did you switch the sensitivity on the MT? There's a little switch on the side, says like L/M/H or something, that needs to be set correctly if you are running the MT standalone.

The MT2 doesn't have the sensitivity switch.
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline Ken Kaiser

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 07:08:59 PM »
Correct, there isn't a level switch on the MT2.

I wish I'd done a little more research before I bought it, the noise using the MT2's own phantom power and mic input is unusable.

Thanks for the sound samples, sounds good!  Looks like as long as you have decent levels coming into the MT2 it's a decent recorder.

Now I just need to decide if I'll go with what I have or if I'll try another preamp with a digital output.

Offline Ken Kaiser

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 07:54:55 AM »
Looking at the manual for the FTP it looks like it can only do 24jbit/48khz in standalone mode, won't work up to 96khz.

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 08:30:30 AM »
Looking at the manual for the FTP it looks like it can only do 24jbit/48khz in standalone mode, won't work up to 96khz.

Actually if I recall correctly, it will only do 24/44.1, not 48.

My LMA Recordings

Offline Ken Kaiser

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 03:25:49 PM »
I just picked up a FTP.

yep, you are correct...only to 44.1 in standalone.

I am trying to get it to work with my MT2 using the spdif from the FTP into the MT2, but I can't get any sound...not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 03:46:34 PM »
I just picked up a FTP.

yep, you are correct...only to 44.1 in standalone.

I am trying to get it to work with my MT2 using the spdif from the FTP into the MT2, but I can't get any sound...not sure what I'm doing wrong?

This was the only thing that I found to be something of a PITA with this box. You're gonna have to hook it up to a computer, install all the M-Audio software & control panel, then go into the M-Audio control panel & set up which inputs & outputs are active. Your max bit depth & sampling rate are connected to how many ins & outs are active at a time.You'll probably just want inputs 1 & 2 (front panel) active & the SPDIF output. After that, it should work stand-alone.

HOpe that helps!

My LMA Recordings

Offline Ken Kaiser

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »
That's what I tried, but I get nothing out.  I tried it using the line outs and it works, but I can't seem to get anything out of the spdif.  Do I need to do anything on the MT2 other than selet the spdif as the input?

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 01:06:05 AM »
That's what I tried, but I get nothing out.  I tried it using the line outs and it works, but I can't seem to get anything out of the spdif.  Do I need to do anything on the MT2 other than selet the spdif as the input?

Make sure you're using a spdif cable.  All that needs to be on on the mt2 is spdif for the in.

Goodluck...
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 08:07:25 AM »

Try both positions on the A/B switch between the 'Mix' and 'Level' knobs.

My LMA Recordings

Offline Ken Kaiser

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 09:39:30 AM »
Thank you for the responses guys, just wanted to close this one out, I gave up and returned it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com