Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA5 Peak Light  (Read 3367 times)

Offline DMBprez

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Focused
UA5 Peak Light
« on: July 09, 2010, 12:35:27 AM »
I recorded UM tonight, and the peak light was on pretty consistently.  I did this with the advice of other tapers.  The levels came out WAY too hot.  What is the deal with this light?  Do I want it on time to time? Not at all?

The last recording I did lacked low end and had weak high ends.  Almost no UMPH, to it.  No pun intended.  So I turned the Sensitivity knobs up tonight, and lowered the output volume, apparently this was not good.  Here is a sample, anyone know if I can do anything with this one? Or is it a lost cause?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/16khio

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
Re: UA5 Peak Light
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:47:20 AM »
The clip light comes on at -3db...I usually run my levels a little hot and the clip light will occasionally come on but you definitely do not want it on all the time.  At least in my experience.

I always ran optical out or spdif out and never had output volume problems...don't know what to tell you about that one.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 12:59:51 AM »
The clip light comes on at -3db...I usually run my levels a little hot and the clip light will occasionally come on but you definitely do not want it on all the time.  At least in my experience.

I always ran optical out or spdif out and never had output volume problems...don't know what to tell you about that one.

My experience as well.

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:49:23 AM »
So I turned the Sensitivity knobs up tonight, and lowered the output volume

This suggests you're running analog-out of the UA5 and analog-in to a recorder.

If you're running digital-out of the UA5, there are 3 opportunities for overloading:

• mics
  • UA5 analog inputs
  • UA5 ADC

If you're running analog-out of the UA5, the opportunities for overload include the three above plus:

• recorder analog inputs
  • recorder ADC

Can you confirm the recorder you're using and whether or not you're running analog-out of the UA5?  Knowing the answer to the question will help us help you troubleshoot what happened.  Also, a screenshot of the waveform, both zoomed in quite far, as well as standard view, might help some people provide feedback.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:09:13 AM »
Regardless of recorder used, you want that peak light to just flicker, definitely not stay lit...

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »
So I turned the Sensitivity knobs up tonight, and lowered the output volume

This suggests you're running analog-out of the UA5 and analog-in to a recorder.

If you're running digital-out of the UA5, there are 3 opportunities for overloading:

• mics
  • UA5 analog inputs
  • UA5 ADC

If you're running analog-out of the UA5, the opportunities for overload include the three above plus:

• recorder analog inputs
  • recorder ADC

Can you confirm the recorder you're using and whether or not you're running analog-out of the UA5?  Knowing the answer to the question will help us help you troubleshoot what happened.  Also, a screenshot of the waveform, both zoomed in quite far, as well as standard view, might help some people provide feedback.

iRiver 300.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 04:33:16 PM »
Yes, just have it flicker once in a while.

I assume the H300 has rockbox?  Set the AGC to "safety clip", and set the gain on the H300 to about +5.

Then adjust the headphone knob to get a nice signal on the iRiver.  Once you have that headphone knob nicely adjusted, put a piece of tape over it and leave it alone.

From then on, get in the habit of leaving the headphone knob alone, setting the iRiver gain to +5, and then use the UA-5 individual gains to make the H300 happy, which should be at that point where the light flickers occasionally.

If the H300 sees a little hot spot, it may automagically turn down the gain a notch.  If the gain drops below zero you are running too hot into the H300 and you may start to get serious distortion.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 05:16:40 PM »
Yes, just have it flicker once in a while.

I assume the H300 has rockbox?  Set the AGC to "safety clip", and set the gain on the H300 to about +5.

Then adjust the headphone knob to get a nice signal on the iRiver.  Once you have that headphone knob nicely adjusted, put a piece of tape over it and leave it alone.

From then on, get in the habit of leaving the headphone knob alone, setting the iRiver gain to +5, and then use the UA-5 individual gains to make the H300 happy, which should be at that point where the light flickers occasionally.

If the H300 sees a little hot spot, it may automagically turn down the gain a notch.  If the gain drops below zero you are running too hot into the H300 and you may start to get serious distortion.

Many thanks!

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 06:22:35 PM »

+1 same here and the SUV-1 saved my a$$ a few times. My only analog experiences were w/ live matrix and I would have to turn the one knob almost all the way down usually so I would not peak.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com