Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: sbm1 question  (Read 3715 times)

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
sbm1 question
« on: March 16, 2006, 11:14:04 PM »
Anyone ever use one of these with an NBox?  Is there gain built in or is there a control on the sbm1 to add additional gain? Detailed pics of these are tough to find.

thanks

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: sbm1 question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 11:17:13 PM »
no gain on the sbm-1.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 11:30:51 PM »
+T  and thanks the quick reply.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 09:06:31 AM »
I've used a modSBM-1 with an R-Box (the predecessor to the nbox, a bit bigger, but basically the same).  the two times I've used it was to stealth Leo Kottke, which is a pretty quiet show, just Leo on acoustic guitars.  with this combo, I just barely had enough gain, but I probably would have liked my levels to be a bit higher.  the first time I did it, I was dead center, but almost in the last row, under the balcony (but the Sanders Theater in Cambridge is fairly small, so I wasn't that far away).  on that recording, the music peaks around -10dB, and the loud crowd between songs gets up to right around zero.  the following year, when I recorded Leo again, with the same setup, I was in the dead center, but closer up.  that time, the music peaked around -6dB.

if you were taping anything other than a quiet acoustic show, I'd venture to say that you'd definitely be able to get hot enough levels (and while the SBM-1 doesn't have gain per say, it does have level controls for each channel, so you can use it to set your levels.  it's an attenuator though, not gain).  I also know that Scott (who I borrowed the gear from) has also done many stealth rbox > modSBM-1 shows, with great results....

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 12:41:19 PM »
Val (Joesphine) runs N-box > mSBM-1 and pulls great tapes
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 12:46:10 PM »
prior to all the portable 24bit reorders, nbox>mod-sbm1 went together like bread and butter

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 01:22:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies. My only concern is how to bump up the levels with my current rig, when not using the UA-5.  Even going straight into the jb3, I still don't have enough gain. I'm looking at the R1/09 as well. Hoping those will allow to add gain without adding any unwanted noise. I'm in no hurry to go to 24 bit, I just want that compact rig, easy setup, easy tear down, and the ability to stealth if needed. 

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 01:40:25 PM »
Here my question. I have an m148. We all know they have 20 decibels fixed gain. Now when I adjust the SBM-1 I have is that not also gain? If not what is that called. This may sound stupid but I don't claim to know everything :P ;D

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 01:44:47 PM »
has anyone compared either a todd mod sbm1 or an oade warm mod to the adc of the edirol r1?
the reason I ask is becasue I'd like to upgrade my sbd>jb3 rig  I'm either going to purchase an sbm1 and stay in the 16 bit realm or snag an edirol r09 when that's released.  it's supposed to have the same adc as the r1, and will be about the same price as an sbm1>jb3 setup, but 24 bit capable.

Hi,

"gewwang" did a comparison of sorts, running the Todd-mod SBM > DAT and the Edirol R-1 off of his V3 for a Black Crowes show last year.  I compared several songs from the two sources and could not identify which sounded better, and that was after dithering the R-1 source.  They did sound ever-so-slightly different, but both sounded very nice.  So I think you are safe going either route, but the 24 bit will set you up better for the future.

jdawg - like Jason said, there are level controls on the SBM-1 and you should be able to get decent enough levels at all but the quietest shows.  Adding gain will always add noise :)

Later,
   pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 02:39:49 PM »
has anyone compared either a todd mod sbm1 or an oade warm mod to the adc of the edirol r1?
the reason I ask is becasue I'd like to upgrade my sbd>jb3 rig  I'm either going to purchase an sbm1 and stay in the 16 bit realm or snag an edirol r09 when that's released.  it's supposed to have the same adc as the r1, and will be about the same price as an sbm1>jb3 setup, but 24 bit capable.

Hi,

"gewwang" did a comparison of sorts, running the Todd-mod SBM > DAT and the Edirol R-1 off of his V3 for a Black Crowes show last year.

Later,
   pjdavep

nope...i believe that was a transparent mod sbm-1 (T-mod sbm-1) from oade...not a todd ramsden mod sbm-1

edited to add "i believe"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 02:41:42 PM by Chris K »
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 02:50:15 PM »
Here my question. I have an m148. We all know they have 20 decibels fixed gain. Now when I adjust the SBM-1 I have is that not also gain? If not what is that called. This may sound stupid but I don't claim to know everything :P ;D

i believe the sbm-1 only attenuates the signal.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 03:12:09 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=61131.0

Edit: Sorry for the shameless plug :P
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 03:14:06 PM by Dutchman1101 »

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 03:22:15 PM »
now that I actually think about it a bit, it was an oade T mod, george owned one of only a few ever made. 

Yeah, you guys are correct -
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=27004.msg340110#msg340110

Later,
  pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com