Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Computer dorks (need processer/RAM advice on new DAW build)>  (Read 17895 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Computer dorks (need processer/RAM advice on new DAW build)>
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 12:59:41 PM »
Update: So far, nothing but problems. Literally zero music making has been done, which is exactly what I was hoping to avoid. The Tascam driver (not sure if it's a beta or a supposedly stable release) is total garbage. I can barely even stream mp3's from the Archive with the driver. So, looks like it is time to downgrade to 32 bit or XP, since this was a total failure.

ADK may be 'overcharging', but I am pretty sure I would have at least gotten more than a $1300.00 web browser out of the deal. Never underestimate the value of expertise.

So just to make sure we all understand you're blaming your computer for something that you've already stated is Tascam's fault?       

Tascam lists three drivers from Windows.  Which one are you using?

US-1641 Drivers:
- Windows driver ver 2.01 (64-bit)
- Windows Vista/XP driver ver 2.00 (64-bit) for US-1641
- Windows 7/Vista/XP driver ver 2.00 (32-bit) for US-1641

Have you tried this solution?   http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/75625-tascam-us-1641-x64.html

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010, 11:10:10 AM »
I'm not really 'blaming' anyone/anything so much as stating a fact - I have yet to get anything done with this box, other than sit around & troubleshoot computer, interface, and driver issues, which, as I said, is exactly what I was trying not to do. It's probably all my own fault, but that's what I mean when I say 'Don't underestimate the value of expertise'.

I have tried all the 64 bit drivers from Tascam's site. None worked properly. I received a response to my inquiry from Tascam stating those ARE the stable release drivers for 7x64. I found one setting in the interfaces control panel that helped signifigantly, but the CPU still breaks down under way, way too light a load (ie less than my .99GB ram XP box can handle easily). 

>Have you tried this solution?   http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/75625-tascam-us-1641-x64.html

I looked at that page but could not figure out how to apply it to my issue. Live should run fine in the OS, and I don't know how/if you can run a driver in compatability mode.

I also looked at Windows 7's XP Mode, but my version of the OS does not include it, and MS wants $199.99 to upgrade to a version that does.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »
How about a piano player? You think they should build their own pianos?

I've known a few guitar players that didn't feel like real guitar players until they built their own.  As a musician myself, I often find myself branching out to reach that next level.  Physics, Math, Psychology, and other things like recording to find out what's really going on and adjust accordingly.  So learning a bit about computers wouldn't really hurt.  Although if you're that against doing that yourself, there's a number of computer professionals you could hire out to point you in a direction.  I used to be a software guy, so that's probably not me.  Although as an app guy you still have to know some things about networks and protocols and such.  You really can't NOT and stay employed / be successful.  Even that pesky hardware (battery) on the motherboard can cause certain software issues.

That said, I did take the traditional computer out of my recording needs and bought a field recorder.  Everything else I can do virtually on the PC which doesn't require an interface per say, since the resulting wav can be played on almost anything.  Or even from the field recorder (if it's in a supported format).  Now inputing midi and other effects is probably a lot more time efficient with an appropriate interface (and supporting software).

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2010, 12:25:14 PM »
I'm not really 'blaming' anyone/anything so much as stating a fact - I have yet to get anything done with this box, other than sit around & troubleshoot computer, interface, and driver issues, which, as I said, is exactly what I was trying not to do. It's probably all my own fault, but that's what I mean when I say 'Don't underestimate the value of expertise'.

Your decision to go with a more established, more well regarded as well as less expensive computer over a boutique builder using off the shelf parts was a good one.  Thinking that the boutique hardware would do anything different than what you have is bogus.   The problem here entirely is between you and Tascam.   Either they aren't understanding the compatibility issues you are having or you are not understanding the solution they are or are not providing.       If they claim the drivers they provide are stable for 7x64 then what steps have you taken to install those drivers.   Have you uninstalled the previous drivers first?  Did you install the new drivers with the unit unplugged?

>Have you tried this solution?   http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/75625-tascam-us-1641-x64.html

I looked at that page but could not figure out how to apply it to my issue. Live should run fine in the OS, and I don't know how/if you can run a driver in compatability mode.

I also looked at Windows 7's XP Mode, but my version of the OS does not include it, and MS wants $199.99 to upgrade to a version that does.

Why not just email or post in that forum to the person that got it working for his detailed solution.

Also many websites that have instructions for installing XP Mode in Home Premium.   

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2010, 04:30:48 PM »

Your decision to go with a more established, more well regarded as well as less expensive computer over a boutique builder using off the shelf parts was a good one.  Thinking that the boutique hardware would do anything different than what you have is bogus.   

No, it's not. Part of the deal with ADK is that they will set up, test, and tweak your system until it works. You get a system that works, period, out of the box. All the shit I'm doing right now....they do it for you. And if there's an issue, they have phone support and people who are familiar with your exact set up, because they created it. As it stands, I have to be the go-between with Tascam, Ableton, and Dell/Microsoft.

And really, it's not been a great decision considering goal #1 was making music, and instead I'm troubleshooting computer crap.

Either way, I will get it working eventually, just definitely regret the decision to not get a professional to do this in the first place.

My LMA Recordings

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2010, 04:37:34 PM »
Either way, I will get it working eventually, just definitely regret the decision to not get a professional to do this in the first place.

Man I should start my own boutique computer building company.  It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel. 

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2010, 06:59:28 PM »
It might not apply, but I avoided tascam initially because some of their products while bearing the same name and model number have completely different innards.  In the case of linux and alsa, that meant that for the 122 it worked (unless you had one of the other (newer) chipsets, at which point you're screwed).  Not exactly sound business practices IMO.  Although not really the exception these days.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 07:18:13 PM »

Man I should start my own boutique computer building company.  It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel.

don't forget the repair business where you could charge outrageous amounts of cash to remove simple spyware.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2010, 12:19:22 AM »
I might suggest getting Tascam's service department on the phone or their Forum; or hiring a computer geek for an hour to get this working for you.  Here in LA we have "Make It Work" for about $80 an hour.  They conquered by M Audio driver issue for me. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2010, 12:20:52 PM »

I will happily pay you if you want to get on the phone & help me get this set up working. :)

That offer goes for anyone reading this who thinks they can help.

My LMA Recordings

Offline martygene

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2010, 04:35:28 PM »
plug your stats into this place and see how it compares to ADK. they build mine and it's a great price and great working computer.

http://www.magicmicro.com/

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 05:49:30 AM »

Huh?  I am under the impression that all Win7 includes compatibility mode.
Find the file that runs the program (the .exe or "executable" and right-click her and set it to the version that you want your PC to emulate)

A few thoughts:
Do not use your DAW for email, net surfing, Automatic Windows Updates, etc. at some point you will regret it.
Find a site with DAW customization info that will guide you on services, processes, and other junk to remove from Win 7.
http://www.alesis.com/tipsnov08
(Keep a network connection, but use it only when absolutely needed)
Maybe too late ...  avoid 64-bit for another 6 months to a year as audio drivers and plug-ins aren't all that great yet
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2010, 06:22:28 AM »

Find the file that runs the program (the .exe or "executable" and right-click her and set it to the version that you want your PC to emulate)

you're impression is not correct.  straight from the MS website:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/windows-xp-mode.aspx
"Windows XP Mode comes as a separate download and works only with Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate"

So people with Home Premium are forced to upgrade if they need XP mode.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2010, 10:23:02 AM »
Specifically what are you having issues with?  You say the driver does not work but I'm not getting how.  Does it not work at all?  Does the system crash? 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2010, 11:08:50 AM »

you're impression is not correct.  straight from the MS website:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/windows-xp-mode.aspx
"Windows XP Mode comes as a separate download and works only with Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate"

So people with Home Premium are forced to upgrade if they need XP mode.

Compatibility Mode and XP Mode are 2 separate things.

You are correct, XP Mode is only available in Win 7 Pro and Ultimate. It also requires an additional download. It's going to be the best way to run programs that don't work on Vista/Win 7

To use compatibility mode you right click on the exe file you are having trouble with, click Properties, then choose the Compatibility tab, then put a check next to, Run this program in compatibility mode for: and choose the OS you need (probably XP SP3 will work).

I checked this on my computer with Windows 7 Home Premium and it has it.

Not sure if it will fix your problem, but that is where it is.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.318 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com