Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ethernet Run between 2 buildings?  (Read 19985 times)

Offline plains203

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Ethernet Run between 2 buildings?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »
I know I am late to this post, but a chain saw makes a great trencher.  It dulls the hell out of the chain, but chains are easy to replace or sharpen.

That would be a brilliant way to ruin the bar.

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 02:18:57 AM »
Easy to replace chainsaw blades, sure.  Cheap?  Not when you're in Arkansas and every 3" is a rock.  As my Dad found out after some weather knocked out about 29 of his trees (roughly half).  And just cutting the root ball out (with rocks entrenched) went through at least 3x blades.  In the end I think we used just about every tool he had on his property.  Just to get it out of the ground and up to the front of the property to be picked up.  4x 200+lbs kids and a wheel-barrow that probably needs to be replaced now.  And it's mostly safe to walk the property again.  Foul mouth water snakes, and the remaining 29+ trees that could drop an 80lb limb on your head without notice, not with standing.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 11:08:40 AM »
At some point I'll post pics
I just used a pressure washer , mostly to go under the 4 sections of sidewalk and 1 section of curb, and a trenching shovel. It only took about 4 hours to dig most of the trench - including under the sidewalks and curb.

It's not far under the ground maybe 1 foot, but we don't get hard freeze's here and cat6 is not in anyway suseptiple to freezing - especiallly inside the 3/4 grey electrical PVC conduit.
got a APC surge/ground on each end of the cat6 at building entry....
works awesome so far  I am now running 5Ghz n network from my airport extreme.

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline taosmay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 07:11:59 PM »
I thought it best not to start a new topic of my own, for what I think is a relatively simple question. So, I did a search and came up with this somewhat similar topic. BTW, I hope this topic project came out good for you, Ian.

I want to run a wired ethernet network cable from the second floor of our house down to the first floor. I'm thinking 50' of cat5e should suffice in order to run  it along edges where it will not be a trip hazard. My service with our ISP is .5 Mbps Asynchronus. My question is if a 50' run  of cat5e cable at our connection speed would be diminished at all/much at the end of a 50'cable ? Anything else I should be concerned about with using that long of a run to my router ? Please do not discuss the option of going wireless, since that technology directly impacts my wife's health. Thanks

~ Harold
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »
You will not see any issues with your speed on a 50' run of cat5e
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline pdxdanmusic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • pdxtaper
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 08:53:23 PM »
I thought it best not to start a new topic of my own, for what I think is a relatively simple question. So, I did a search and came up with this somewhat similar topic. BTW, I hope this topic project came out good for you, Ian.

I want to run a wired ethernet network cable from the second floor of our house down to the first floor. I'm thinking 50' of cat5e should suffice in order to run  it along edges where it will not be a trip hazard. My service with our ISP is .5 Mbps Asynchronus. My question is if a 50' run  of cat5e cable at our connection speed would be diminished at all/much at the end of a 50'cable ? Anything else I should be concerned about with using that long of a run to my router ? Please do not discuss the option of going wireless, since that technology directly impacts my wife's health. Thanks

~ Harold

Have you thought about powerline networking? Make sure you don't use a surge protector but works great for me.

Offline taosmay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013, 11:42:46 AM »
Thanks for the answer to my question, Vanark.

pdxdanmusic: after reading on howstuffworks, powerline networking would not seem to suit our needs. We only have/use one laptop computer in our home. Our usual second floor computer room gets a little cold in the winter for my wife (off-the-grid home/passive solar heat and wood stove on first floor), so I want to run that long cable from our router on the second floor down to the first floor, with the same laptop. Thanks anyway for the suggestion. Need to start off-gassing that long, new cable now, so it will be ready for in home use for my sensitive wife by the winter time...
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 02:41:44 AM »

~ Harold

Did the powerline. but when the buildings are on separate circuit breakers it doensn'tnot work good at all. Bough and sold them.
The Ethernet trench has bee working excellent!

I swear I did post the pics...already.
I'll look to photo bucket. and see where they are.

I since purchased 2 airport express units, to extend my wireless back into the house... and it works great I can use cog via airplay using airfoil to stream the multiple terrabites of music into the house so the entire family can listen.!

Have you thought about powerline networking? Make sure you don't use a surge protector but works great for me.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 03:04:00 AM »
Since I swear I already posted these pic I u/L 'd to Photo bucket... and they don't appear here...
here they are:

~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com