Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iZotope RX is @#$*in' amazing!  (Read 11348 times)

Offline ironbut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
iZotope RX is @#$*in' amazing!
« on: December 17, 2007, 01:12:18 AM »
I've had this app for a month now but just haven't had the time to really fool around with it till today. Well, I think a spent about an hour with it last week but that was more of just reading the manual. I do audience recording of jazz for the most part so chatter is a real problem. To minimize this, I use the card-cap on my AT 853's. I record to a Hi Minidisc so the recordings are uncompressed 16/44. An annual festival is one of the main venues I record and in the main arena, the seats are assigned so moving around isn't an option.
Enter iZotope RX. Billed as restoration application, it has several different modules, dehummer, de-clicker, de-noiser , de-clipper and spectral repair. Each module has plenty of adjustments and sub-modules to fit the offending sound/s. There are plenty of ways to eliminate steady state problems like compressors (from ice cream trucks or air brush artists enhancing the features of virginal ,.. well, you get the idea) or unruly ground loops. The module that makes this a tapers dream come true is the Spectral Repair module. There are 4 sub modules, attenuate, replace, pattern and damned if I can remember the name of the last one. The process goes as follows. Just like any other audio program, your looking at the waveform of your project. Only, with RX, the waveform is sitting on top of a spectrogram. For the most part, I dimmed the wave view so all I could see was the spectrogram. With a wave, your looking at the peaks of the sound. With a spectrogram, your seeing all the elements that are within the waveform. So first you have to find the problem. Let's say it is a cough from the person sitting in front of me. I would make as many passes as it takes to find the exact spot that the cough begins zooming in as I go. Then you look for an event that's different from the surround beats. The louder the sound, the lighter the event appears within the spectrogram. Once you've found a likely candidate, you can either select the entire area (all frequencies) or just drag a box around that light spot. Now comes the fun stuff. You punch up spectral repair and need to choose which of the sub modules your going to try. The Pattern setting is what I'll explain briefly and will give you an idea of the power of this program. With Pattern set you hit apply and depending on the parameters you set, RX looks on either side for a pattern similar to the one surrounding your selection. This happens in about 1/4 of a second and the light spot is replaced by what RX thinks should be there. It adjusts the surroundings so there's no abrupt change. The Replace  setting just replaces the selected spot. I spent about 3 hours with it and about half of what I learned was to recognize the noise from the music. The other half was trying to figure out which technique  worked best with each noise. In some cases, selecting the entire area (all frequencies) was best. With other ones, selecting just the loudest part of the noise (box) worked better. And sometimes, it was best to remove the loudest part and then remove the harmonics of the noise later.
The project I was practicing on had a range of problems. From faint chatter a few seats from me, to "Me" coughing once, and saying goodbye to someone I wouldn't see for another year. Whatever the origin, I was able to seamlessly remove all noises that I wanted to. Even when I was the offending source, with the mikes attached to my glasses just inches from my drooling gob. Whatever I wanted to remove, I could. No artifacts! I might be able to find those spots if I looked for them but not all of them. I was at the point where I had to decide to leave some low level stuff to make it sound live!
By the time I finished for the day ( I had some very important NFL games to watch) I knew that I no longer felt a need to use card.s anymore. So, DPA or Sanken? RX has freed me from worrying about audience noise. http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: iZotope RX is @#$*in' amazing!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 11:54:41 AM »
It's kind of ironic that you posted about this software, as I borrowed a laptop with Izotope RX installed over the weekend. This is a really useful program for what we do. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it seems pretty easy to use. It works great for removing clapping and other unwanted sounds. I'll borrow it again after the holidays and post some before and after samples.

The lap top also had Nuendo with the full package of plug-ins. Wow, that's a powerful editing program as well. Pretty cool, even though most of it is way over my head.  :o
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 11:58:35 AM »
+T just for using the phrase "drooling gob"

8)
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 06:29:55 AM »
Sounds interesting, but pretty expensive.  $349 for the normal version and $1199 for the advanced version...

There is a download for trying it out, but with save disabled.

Offline ironbut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 11:16:03 PM »
Sounds interesting, but pretty expensive.  $349 for the normal version and $1199 for the advanced version...
Yeah it is pretty $$$. I posted a link when I first heard about it and and you could pick it up at that time for $199 (intro offer) but by that time, there was about a week left to that offer and I just didn't have enough time to really evaluate it to lately. I think it's value really depends on the kind of shows you record. Like I said in my original post, the stuff I do can be real soft and at the most, just loud. Of course there's always those "nice people" that I want to ask " You know, I could ask the musicians to keep it down if it's disturbing your conversation" that will yell as loud as it takes for them to continue talking!

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 03:24:19 AM »
Of course there's always those "nice people" that I want to ask " You know, I could ask the musicians to keep it down if it's disturbing your conversation" that will yell as loud as it takes for them to continue talking!

I'll never comprehend why people spend the money for tickets (plus parking/transport/etc.) and then talk through the whole show!

Offline lnarachi

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Pullin one for the team
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 02:06:58 AM »
There are four iZotope plugins for Soundforge 9.0 think they were FREE- master limiter, compressor, eq and reverb. All useful.
mk4v/mk2h/mk8/mk41v CMC6 > Grace V2/V3 Oade ASM mod > Benchmark AD2K+ > SD 744T/Edirol R09

Playback: Northstar Designs M192 transport and DAC >  Cardas Neutral Reference interconnects > Cary Audio SLP98 > Pass Labs X250 > Acoustic Zen Satori cables > Von Schweikert VR4

Offline trajhip2000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 05:41:39 PM »
Has anybody had the opportunity to compare the spectral editing tools in RX to those in Adobe Audition?

Steve

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 08:21:22 PM »
Has anybody had the opportunity to compare the spectral editing tools in RX to those in Adobe Audition?

I don't have a windows machine (at least not one without using a VM), but I have compared RX to SoundSoap and RX is much better. I'm really hoping that they hurry up with their plug-ins. It drives me nuts having to use the stand alone application.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 12:08:35 PM »
This sounds awesome.  Using this program allows you to effectively eliminate/diminish clapping, audience noise etc?  How easy do you find it to quickly modify a file?  It sounds great but may be a lot of work to work on an entire concert with sporadic audience noise throughout.  I'll give it a try tonight too and hope for the best!  Thanks for the info.

I've had this app for a month now but just haven't had the time to really fool around with it till today. Well, I think a spent about an hour with it last week but that was more of just reading the manual. I do audience recording of jazz for the most part so chatter is a real problem. To minimize this, I use the card-cap on my AT 853's. I record to a Hi Minidisc so the recordings are uncompressed 16/44. An annual festival is one of the main venues I record and in the main arena, the seats are assigned so moving around isn't an option.
Enter iZotope RX. Billed as restoration application, it has several different modules, dehummer, de-clicker, de-noiser , de-clipper and spectral repair. Each module has plenty of adjustments and sub-modules to fit the offending sound/s. There are plenty of ways to eliminate steady state problems like compressors (from ice cream trucks or air brush artists enhancing the features of virginal ,.. well, you get the idea) or unruly ground loops. The module that makes this a tapers dream come true is the Spectral Repair module. There are 4 sub modules, attenuate, replace, pattern and damned if I can remember the name of the last one. The process goes as follows. Just like any other audio program, your looking at the waveform of your project. Only, with RX, the waveform is sitting on top of a spectrogram. For the most part, I dimmed the wave view so all I could see was the spectrogram. With a wave, your looking at the peaks of the sound. With a spectrogram, your seeing all the elements that are within the waveform. So first you have to find the problem. Let's say it is a cough from the person sitting in front of me. I would make as many passes as it takes to find the exact spot that the cough begins zooming in as I go. Then you look for an event that's different from the surround beats. The louder the sound, the lighter the event appears within the spectrogram. Once you've found a likely candidate, you can either select the entire area (all frequencies) or just drag a box around that light spot. Now comes the fun stuff. You punch up spectral repair and need to choose which of the sub modules your going to try. The Pattern setting is what I'll explain briefly and will give you an idea of the power of this program. With Pattern set you hit apply and depending on the parameters you set, RX looks on either side for a pattern similar to the one surrounding your selection. This happens in about 1/4 of a second and the light spot is replaced by what RX thinks should be there. It adjusts the surroundings so there's no abrupt change. The Replace  setting just replaces the selected spot. I spent about 3 hours with it and about half of what I learned was to recognize the noise from the music. The other half was trying to figure out which technique  worked best with each noise. In some cases, selecting the entire area (all frequencies) was best. With other ones, selecting just the loudest part of the noise (box) worked better. And sometimes, it was best to remove the loudest part and then remove the harmonics of the noise later.
The project I was practicing on had a range of problems. From faint chatter a few seats from me, to "Me" coughing once, and saying goodbye to someone I wouldn't see for another year. Whatever the origin, I was able to seamlessly remove all noises that I wanted to. Even when I was the offending source, with the mikes attached to my glasses just inches from my drooling gob. Whatever I wanted to remove, I could. No artifacts! I might be able to find those spots if I looked for them but not all of them. I was at the point where I had to decide to leave some low level stuff to make it sound live!
By the time I finished for the day ( I had some very important NFL games to watch) I knew that I no longer felt a need to use card.s anymore. So, DPA or Sanken? RX has freed me from worrying about audience noise. http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/

Offline ironbut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 02:11:36 AM »

I don't have a windows machine (at least not one without using a VM), but I have compared RX to SoundSoap and RX is much better. I'm really hoping that they hurry up with their plug-ins. It drives me nuts having to use the stand alone application.

Wayne

Hey Wayne, just a heads up. The iZotope released an update on Rx and you can download it as a standalone and/or plug ins. They've added handles to the rectangular selector too.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 06:07:46 AM »
Yeah it is pretty $$$. I posted a link when I first heard about it and and you could pick it up at that time for $199 (intro offer) but by that time, there was about a week left to that offer and I just didn't have enough time to really evaluate it to lately.

+T, very useful!
There's an authorized dealer on Ebay usually selling it for $239:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250231968395
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 07:06:19 AM »
Hey Wayne, just a heads up. The iZotope released an update on Rx and you can download it as a standalone and/or plug ins. They've added handles to the rectangular selector too.

Thanks! I just installed it this AM. I do wish they would let you know when the update appeared though.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline panther65

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 10:46:34 AM »
"Has anybody had the opportunity to compare the spectral editing tools in RX to those in Adobe Audition?"
iZotope blows it away. The display is so much better than AA and you can much more easily remove various artifacts. It also works great on clips. I had a show that clipped quite a bit because my mics were so close to the source, and iZotope cleaned every one of them up. A must-have program for the recordist.
Schoeps MK4>KCY250/5I>Schoeps VMS 5 U>Tascam HD-P2

Offline ironbut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 10:55:10 PM »
Hey panther65, I haven't had a chance to try the de-clipping module yet. I do have a file that I never used because of it though. Any hints on how best to use it?
BTW, if anyone using it hasn't looked at the video tutorials, they're a little help. I think that because of the lack of detailed instructions on how best to solve our type of noise/problems, it might be useful to start a thread with what each of us has found works best in different situations. I've been concentrating on eliminating chatter but I haven't had a chance to use the new selection tool (rectangle w/handles) which I'll try and do this weekend. I've also sent in a couple of feature requests to iZotope. They seem very receptive to suggestions. I asked for some of the features that are in Audition,.. the lasso tool (kind of a pencil selection tool for odd shaped events), the before mentioned handles, a phase view, and a keyboard shortcut for toggling on the fly between playback of the selection and everything but the selection. I think while development of this software is still hot and heavy, the chances of getting suggestions implemented is far more likely.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com