Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Izotope RX: reduce crowd noise?  (Read 530 times)

Offline bmubart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Izotope RX: reduce crowd noise?
« on: March 07, 2024, 06:08:26 AM »
Hi guys,

I just purchased Izotope RX 10 (standard version) (great product!) and was wondering how you handle talkers or other crowd noise ? 
With Music Rebalance I seperate the voice-track from the rest but what then?
Do you load the voice-track in a DAW and mute the section with talkers or do you use Spectral De-noise to reduce this? Then mix it back with the Bass, Percussion and Other tracks?
Thanks for your input!

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Izotope RX: reduce crowd noise?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 08:35:18 AM »
I use spectrul repair manually on whistles, screams etc.  it can help with chatter as well if the chatter isn't covered by vocals in the same spot.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 02:16:39 PM »
I also use spectral repair to manually remove or lessen really loud cheering, whistles, or brief bits of talking.

I tried the rebalance feature to remove talking, but my results weren't very good. Much better is Ultimate Vocal Remover 5, free download. I cut out the part of the recording with unwanted talk with an editing program, run it through UVR5, then paste it back in.

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 01:46:37 PM »
Will have to try that one!
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 01:48:47 PM »

With Music Rebalance I seperate the voice-track from the rest but what then?

Don't use separate, use render with the volume control set as needed, using preview to gauge.  You can highlight needed sections and render those alone. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN

Offline EmRR

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 05:03:58 PM »
I tried the rebalance feature to remove talking, but my results weren't very good. Much better is Ultimate Vocal Remover 5, free download. I cut out the part of the recording with unwanted talk with an editing program, run it through UVR5, then paste it back in.

UVR5 does make good separations, and has a lot of options.  Seems like I can get someone talking to me during a stealth show out more cleanly than last I tried in RX. 

Offline bmubart

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 11:59:39 AM »
I also use spectral repair to manually remove or lessen really loud cheering, whistles, or brief bits of talking.

Thanks for the UVR 5 tip: it really does a better job as RX10 in separating the vocal from the rest.  But I'm still confused what to do with it afterwards: you say:
- take the full track
- cut out the unwanted talk
- take that track and run it through UVR5
- past that track back in (in the full track or the instrumental track?)

I did this:
- seperate the tracks
- cut the unwanted in the vocal track
- paste it back in the instrument track

Result: an unnatural track because it muted the ambient too.  Even when I don't mute the unwanted talking completely it sounds not really top...
I know there's no magic bullet for this but is there a reason you cut out the talking in the full track before separating the voice from the rest?

Thanks for the info!

Offline robgronotte

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 01:35:04 AM »
I don't really understand what you did, but I don't know some terminology that others use here.

This is what I do, and remember that I can only do it in spots that have no singing. -

I have say a 3 minute recording of a song with a short instrumental break which someone talked over.
I use WavePad to cut the song into pieces (lots of programs can do this. I make three files - A (the beginning of the song), b (the instrumental break with unwanted talk), and C (the rest of the song).

Next I run file b through UVR5, which splits it into b-vocal and b-instrumental. I give a listen to b-vocal to make sure it includes no music that I wanted to keep (quality check).

If it's ok, I then open up b-instrumental in WavePad. I use its merge feature to combine files A, b-instrumental and C. Listen back to see how it sounds which is normally good.

I very rarely have had any problem where the lack of quiet ambient audience noise makes it sound weird.
But with my master recordings I'm already attempting to get as little of that as possible. I use only cardioid microphones, and I am always as close to the stage and the PA as I can get. I'm also usually at small music clubs where not many people in the front are talking over the singing, and usually it's so loud where I am that no talking from anyone behind me comes through, especially with my cardioid mics.

Offline bmubart

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 04:35:50 AM »
I don't really understand what you did, but I don't know some terminology that others use here.

This is what I do, and remember that I can only do it in spots that have no singing. -

I have say a 3 minute recording of a song with a short instrumental break which someone talked over.
I use WavePad to cut the song into pieces (lots of programs can do this. I make three files - A (the beginning of the song), b (the instrumental break with unwanted talk), and C (the rest of the song).

Next I run file b through UVR5, which splits it into b-vocal and b-instrumental. I give a listen to b-vocal to make sure it includes no music that I wanted to keep (quality check).

If it's ok, I then open up b-instrumental in WavePad. I use its merge feature to combine files A, b-instrumental and C. Listen back to see how it sounds which is normally good.

I very rarely have had any problem where the lack of quiet ambient audience noise makes it sound weird.
But with my master recordings I'm already attempting to get as little of that as possible. I use only cardioid microphones, and I am always as close to the stage and the PA as I can get. I'm also usually at small music clubs where not many people in the front are talking over the singing, and usually it's so loud where I am that no talking from anyone behind me comes through, especially with my cardioid mics.

Many thanks for your feedback and  input.  Much appreciated!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com