Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ADK Laptops for Audio Recording  (Read 3027 times)

Offline Cayden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
ADK Laptops for Audio Recording
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:10:21 PM »
I would like to hear from some folks that use ADK laptops for audio recording.  I am interested in your opinions specific to your overall experience regarding;  (1) Applications used for.  (2) Performance.  (3) Reliability.  (4) Customer / end user support, both technical and repair if needed.  (5) Warranty issues and services.  (6) Overall satisfaction and any opinions regarding PRO's and CON's.

I appreciate any response to this inquiry.

Cayden

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: ADK Laptops for Audio Recording
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 08:42:41 PM »
I have not but looking at the specs they don't seem much different then a standard laptop with Firewire 800.

you may be just as well off buying a mac with firewire 800 if you really need this for your interface.

You will obviously need additional hardware as the laptop it self does not include a professional Audio interface (i.e. RME, MOTU, etc)

I think it's designed more for professional soundboard recording not field recording as most of us on this site do.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Cayden

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 10:09:07 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  I am looking for a system for a home recording environment, not field recording.

Cayden

runonce

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 11:03:31 PM »
I think there are a number of threads on this topic over at gearslutz.com

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:30:23 PM »
Cayden:

In your initial post to this forum, you stated "  I play Irish Whistle, am a habitual listener of Irish Traditional Music, and seek to make recordings of myself and friends playing music.

I just recently purchased a Zoom H4N recorder to get started.  I will also be looking to purchase a laptop / DAW that can be used somewhat dedicated for audio recording / editing, and for limited home use of emailing, surfing web, etc.  I have prior experience with PC, none with Mac, but am open minded to suggestions."

I presume you posted your inquiry regarding an ADK laptop as a follow-up to your "quest" --

Looking at the ADK laptop website, it seems that the selling point for these laptops is that they have good/stable firewire interfaces that enable them to be used with a variety of multichannel recording interfaces to record a large number of channels at once.  Other than that, you appear to be getting a pretty standard laptop (without any recording software) at what seems to me to be pretty expensive price.

My first question for you is what you intend to record and how elaborate you intend to get. 

As stated above, you're looking to get into studio "audio recording/editing"  and are currently using a zoom h4n, an all in one recorder with a built-in stereo mic. Studio recording can be as simple as recording an ensemble from a distance using a single mic (or stereo pair) can progress to having a separate mic and channel for each musician you're recording, and can culminate in recording discreet tracks (eg a bass or drum track) and then playing that track back while recording other tracks.  Each of these variations could/would involve different hardware and software requirements.

At the cheapest/easiest end, you can use your existing zoom to digitally record your playing and then transfer the recording to a basic 2 channel editing program (audacity is free) on a basic pc (i.e. a basic office depot, best buy, etc. special) and use the program to cut out unwanted portions and adjust volume/eq.

At the most expensive/complex end, you'd be using a variety of microphones to record individual instruments, and would be connecting each microphone to a intermediate preamplifier/analog>digital converter, feeding the digital audio into your computer and capturing/manipulating a number of tracks with the computer.  This would require purchase of appropriate microphones, preamps, a mixing board? and a powerful computer that would work with all of this.

So, before you pick up an ADK laptop, be sure you're clear on what else you'll need to go with it and confirm that it is, in fact, what you need to realize your goal.  To me, it sounds like you're looking for a more basic/universal laptop/computer at this point and would not benefit from the ADK . . . .

Each of these permutations involves different options and $$$$$. 

Offline Cayden

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:20:15 PM »
Dnsacks,
Thank you for your reply.  i understand that there would be equipment additional to the laptop.  I appreciate your concern and I am certainly not looking to piss money away.  I am hoping to get a system that will interface well with DAW software and not experience extraneous noise, latency, overheating problems, etc.  I really do not plan on going beyond what most might consider hobby level recording.  I don't want to purchase a junk laptop only to find that it is underpowered or is more of a problem than it is worth.

The far majority of recording that I do will be at home and either by myself or with a couple of friends. I understand that I will need a suitable audio interface, microphone(s), mic stand(s), possibly a mixer, and cables.

I am just trying to gather information at this point and doing my homework prior to making a blind purchase.  I am certainly open to hearing any suggestions.

Cayden

runonce

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:22:38 AM »
I sort of wonder the same thing - should I get a TASCAM DR-680 or should I get a Firewire/USB interface and a computer?

When it comes down to it - I hate laptops...love desktops.
And for some reason, I think I would not want to use my mastering computer for editing.

Going from 2...to 8 channels should be plenty challenging and good step forward.

It just seems like fewer devices to manage with multi-channel all in one like the 680...and I can keep using my current computer(s)

Is audio editing really that challenging for today's computers?

Pretty sure latency isn't an issue, unless you plan on doing overdubs.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
When you buy these ADK laptops you are paying a premium for the support- they probably don't manufactured or design the hardware

IMO - the price isn't worth it

You need to decide on the interface and software first then look for a laptop

I and many others ran laptops in the field 10 years ago for 2 track 24bit recording and I used a Dell laptop w/o issues (using a USB mini-me)

Others ran RME into Sony's or 4-6 track into MOTU portable units then into Apple iBooks

This all worked fine w/o any issues - and this is on hardware that is now over 10 years old
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:10:07 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Cayden

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »
H2O,
Thank you for your informative perspective.

Regards,
Cayden

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com