Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A couple a REALLY QUIET hard drive suggestions...  (Read 3225 times)

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
A couple a REALLY QUIET hard drive suggestions...
« on: January 24, 2005, 04:50:56 PM »
The samsung spin points
and sea gate barracudas have awesome reviews...I have just ordered 1 of each(samsung 80g for OS/graphics)
and seagate 200g barracuda for music and stuff. Will be getting a couple more of em as well.
Ray

check em out if you want silence

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
Re: A couple a REALLY QUIET hard drive suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 07:56:41 PM »
seagates are great drives.  I used to use cheetah's all the time...  Great choice Ray!!
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Ray76

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 08:43:07 PM »
Thanks heath.
I preciate you man.
Ray +T

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 10:32:50 AM »
Seagate.  I had heard they made nice quiet drives so I decided to give one a try last year.  2 hours later my brand new 120 GB drive just died - unreadable, failed all diagnostics tests.  I had just moved a ton of stuff over from another drive (and formatted it) when all the data was lost.  I ended up doing recovery on the original drive but still didn't get it all back.

2 lessons:
- never delete stuff copied onto a new drive until the new drive has lived thru break-in period
- fuck seagate! After a dozen WD and Maxtor drives never failing, I'm 1 for 1 on Seagate.  I don't need to be told twice!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 11:00:44 AM »
Seagate.  I had heard they made nice quiet drives so I decided to give one a try last year.  2 hours later my brand new 120 GB drive just died - unreadable, failed all diagnostics tests.  I had just moved a ton of stuff over from another drive (and formatted it) when all the data was lost.  I ended up doing recovery on the original drive but still didn't get it all back.

2 lessons:
- never delete stuff copied onto a new drive until the new drive has lived thru break-in period
- fuck seagate! After a dozen WD and Maxtor drives never failing, I'm 1 for 1 on Seagate.  I don't need to be told twice!

The only seagate I've ever owned was an 850meg, and though it does not see much use it is still working away in my mom's pc.

I've lost 1 WD and 1 Maxtor, but neither died all at once, so I never lost too much (knocks on wood) Not bad for all the drives I've owned.

As far as the timex test, I've got an IBM 4gig scsi drive that saw all my ripping and burning  for a couple years. That thing is rock solid, too bad it's so small.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Ray76

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 11:43:01 AM »
Theres a bad egg in every bunch, but I think that those main ones:seagate, WD, maxtor, and now samsung have been proven in the field. I am leaniong towards the samsung ones for the noiselevel, but who knows...+t for the help/
Ray

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 12:44:30 PM »
The fans in my case make more noise than my drives.

My box has seemed much quieter lately though, as I finally finished screwing around with the components and put the sides back on.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline rerem

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 05:02:05 AM »
Silent PC forum is where the no-noise computer geeks hang,and like tapers here,they can be VERY fussy. Seagate Barracuda was the standard just a year ago and now they all seem to feel Samsung Spinpoints are the quiet champs. Only available (SATA)in 120 or 160 gb as bigger drives use more platters and thats a noise maker

Online kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 09:56:37 AM »
I just ordered a spinpoint and I willpost back when it is installed. I was reading that forum myself and thats why I went with the spinpoint. They are also not very expensivem compared to others of similar size (GB)
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Online kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 03:38:36 PM »
Well I installed my new Spinpoint 160GB SATA HDD this morning and it sure is quiet. It has only been in the machine for several hours at this point but i am very happy with it so far. Those SATA cables are so easy to work with. dont thik ill ever use IDE again (if i can avoid it)

I finally have all the key components in my system the way I want them. So now just have to go about making all the cables nice and neat and I will be done.

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10

Ray76

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 03:47:17 PM »
Well I installed my new Spinpoint 160GB SATA HDD this morning and it sure is quiet. It has only been in the machine for several hours at this point but i am very happy with it so far. Those SATA cables are so easy to work with. dont thik ill ever use IDE again (if i can avoid it)

I finally have all the key components in my system the way I want them. So now just have to go about making all the cables nice and neat and I will be done.

Whats the highest capacity spinpoint???I am lookin for A LOT of storage. I have a 36.7g for OS and Graphics, and plan on about 6-800 additional....Ray

Online kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 04:55:05 PM »
A quick search at samsung shows that the highest capacity with these drives 160GB.

If i remember what I read correctly they did this to keep the number of platters to a minimum to lower noise that way as well

Ray76

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 05:08:26 PM »
A quick search at samsung shows that the highest capacity with these drives 160GB.

If i remember what I read correctly they did this to keep the number of platters to a minimum to lower noise that way as well

Ok thanks man. BTW, if yall know ANYONE that needs a 250 GIG hitachi deskstar HD SATA for 100-115 bucks, please let me know. I need to sell it. It is brand new in the bag.
Ray

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 09:08:39 AM »
If I had an SATA-capable board, I'd bite on that offer.
Out of the game … for now?

Ray76

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 12:42:46 PM »
If I had an SATA-capable board, I'd bite on that offer.

Hell, even if not, that is a damn good offern and you could prolly sell it for more.
Ray

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com