Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Acoustic recording with hiss. Shall I use dehissing or.......  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Papoola

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Acoustic recording with hiss. Shall I use dehissing or.......
« on: August 15, 2007, 02:05:26 PM »
Hello everybody. I am trying to clean the high level hiss on a live recording of an acoustic concert. I used edirol 09 and had to use high sensitivity setting and its internal mic's.
I am using samplitude and no idea if better to use the dehissing option in effects or alternatively noise reduction using a noise sample (when music is silent) of the same recording and deduct it from the recording.
What's the best to do? My nose says to sample the noise but I am doing my first attempts and no expertise on hands.
Thanks very much
take care all of you

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Acoustic recording with hiss. Shall I use dehissing or.......
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 02:13:02 PM »
I'd try both options, with a variety of configurations, and listen to decide which you prefer.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 02:17:34 PM »
You might do better with a fuller featured 'Hiss Reduction' process like that found in Cool Edit Pro or more recent versions of Adobe Audition.  These allow sampling a short section of the recording where just the hiss (no music) is available to sample and use to 'ease out' enough (variable to your tastes) of the hiss to not cause the music to be degraded.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Papoola

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 02:18:21 PM »
Thanks Brian, you always help me. I appreciate. Cheers

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 02:23:46 PM »
These allow sampling a short section of the recording where just the hiss (no music) is available to sample and use to 'ease out' enough (variable to your tastes) of the hiss to not cause the music to be degraded.

Samplitude (at least my SE v8 version) provides the same feature.
Roland R-05

dorrcoq

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 03:53:58 PM »
These allow sampling a short section of the recording where just the hiss (no music) is available to sample and use to 'ease out' enough (variable to your tastes) of the hiss to not cause the music to be degraded.

Brian, I've seen you mention this program so many times, I jsut might have to break down and buy it. ;D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 03:58:23 PM »
Brian, I've seen you mention this program so many times, I jsut might have to break down and buy it. ;D

I'm relentless, aren't I?  :P  I just hate seeing people use expensive, cracked software when there's such a full-featured, affordable, legal alternative.
Roland R-05

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 04:29:57 PM »

i checked out the demo after seeing Brian and Teddy talking about it so much, some of the best $50 i've spent. fantastic program, didn't take too long to learn the basics and still many many many features i haven't explored. its quick and clean and i love the virtual files it creates so there is no concerns at all for damaging the original file. perfect for multitrack or just 2-channel stuff

looks like they may have SE v9 up now?
http://www.magix.com/us/samplitude-se/
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 04:48:11 PM »

I'm relentless, aren't I?  :P  I just hate seeing people use expensive, cracked software when there's such a full-featured, affordable, legal alternative.

Adobe Audition (only full version available) is just $299 with download, and is most complete.  Cost at least hundreds less than Samplitude full versions. 
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 04:58:38 PM »
Adobe Audition (only full version available) is just $299 with download, and is most complete.  Cost at least hundreds less than Samplitude full versions.

Audition's a great tool, I used to use it in its CEP days.  For 1/6 the price, with a better / broader feature set for my purposes (aside from AA/CEP's very useful statistics analysis), I like Samplitude SE.  Full versions of SAM are way overkill for what we do.  Fortuntately, we have multiple reasonably affordable software packages that support our needs.  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 05:50:15 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Roland R-05

ilduclo

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 08:28:49 PM »
recco against applying hiss reduction IMO, I think it reduces the highs of a LOT of instrumentation, for instance cymbals....

just my 2 cents

ildu

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 10:18:43 PM »
recco against applying hiss reduction IMO, I think it reduces the highs of a LOT of instrumentation, for instance cymbals....

just my 2 cents

ildu

The applied sample for hiss reduction in CEP and Adobe Audition displays the noise frequency SPECTRUM allowing the user to customize the frequency band(s) of applied noise reduction. 

So if desired, ONLY a small portion of the total spectrum can be used leaving the higher frequency portion relatively or completely untouched by the process, so sounds like cymbals can be fully preserved. 

Also the program allows real-time preview with and without the noise reduction settings that's being considered, so you should know by listening what is being gained and lost from the process before changing anything.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com