Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: volume of recording  (Read 2396 times)

Offline shotyd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
volume of recording
« on: July 13, 2008, 12:36:22 AM »
I recorded a band lastnight, and the band was literally 5 feet away so i put it to vol. 9.. the recording should be in low volume correct? since the mic can only handle to 20kHz? and up the volme later using Sound Stuido and the likes.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=204900

thats the link to the recording. i uped about 20db. sounds great. used Church Audio CA-11 with Batterybox(not a preamp)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 12:39:12 AM by shotyd »

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: volume of recording
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 11:56:56 AM »
I recorded a band lastnight, and the band was literally 5 feet away so i put it to vol. 9.. the recording should be in low volume correct? since the mic can only handle to 20kHz? and up the volme later using Sound Stuido and the likes.

thats the link to the recording. i uped about 20db. sounds great. used Church Audio CA-11 with Batterybox(not a preamp)

Sorry, I didn't listen to the samples yet, but if it sounds good to you, that's what counts. Anyway, the fact that you were pretty close to the sound source it's not the same to say that the you have to record in low volume. You're levels should be peaking at, say, -12db or -6db no matter the sound volume you're capturing or how close it is ( yes, you can boost the levels later on post).
If your mics are to overload due to high SPL, they will, even if you set you're levels very low.
My 0,00000002 cents.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »

KHz is a measure of frequency, not volume. 
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline shotyd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 06:59:31 PM »

Sorry, I didn't listen to the samples yet, but if it sounds good to you, that's what counts. Anyway, the fact that you were pretty close to the sound source it's not the same to say that the you have to record in low volume. You're levels should be peaking at, say, -12db or -6db no matter the sound volume you're capturing or how close it is ( yes, you can boost the levels later on post).
If your mics are to overload due to high SPL, they will, even if you set you're levels very low.
My 0,00000002 cents.
thanks. i'm totally new at this. but it does sound fantastic. i like how it came out.  next is sissy spacek, very loud noise band. i'll record at -12db to -6db :) thank you so much for your reply and the answer to my question, (^_^)

Offline shotyd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 07:03:02 PM »

Sorry, I didn't listen to the samples yet, but if it sounds good to you, that's what counts.
i uploaded a mp3 of the sample. please listen and would love a feed back. negative and positive.

Offline shotyd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 07:08:05 PM »

Sorry, I didn't listen to the samples yet, but if it sounds good to you, that's what counts.
this is the mp3 of a part of a song. let me know what you guys htink...i'm new so feedback is always welcome. negative and positive.

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 08:51:06 AM »
That sample sounds really good.  Were you five feet away and centered, or five feet away from one of the P.A. stacks?  Either way, it sounds good enough that I'm gonna download the whole show to give it a listen.  From the sample, that band kinda reminds me of the band Morphine. 

Offline shotyd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 03:21:05 AM »
That sample sounds really good.  Were you five feet away and centered, or five feet away from one of the P.A. stacks?  Either way, it sounds good enough that I'm gonna download the whole show to give it a listen.  From the sample, that band kinda reminds me of the band Morphine. 
five feet away centered from the band. no PA. Thank you for the feedback, I think it came out real well.  I have upped another band that played with Totally Serious called 'Planet'. sounds like Lighting Bolt...a bit similar to this band but noiser.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 09:09:51 AM »
shotyd, the meters on your recorder tell you how well you're using the dynamic range which the recording process offers. Every recording process has two limits: the "floor" (the amount of noise that's inherent in the process, which can sometimes be heard when the signal levels are low) and the "ceiling" (the highest-level signal that the process can handle without overload or distortion).

Ideally the one moment with the highest peak level in the entire recording would be just below "full scale" (0 dBFS). Then the recording process will have added the least possible noise, while avoiding overload. The main reason people are suggesting -6 to -12 as your peak levels is safety: You never know for sure how loud things are going to get, so you want a few dB of "headroom." Plus there are two unfortunate, practical facts: (1) Meters, especially on low-cost equipment, don't always report true peak levels. (2) Some equipment (and some software) can reach its distortion limit somewhat before 0 dBFS is reached.

OK, I'll add a third item to that list: Unfortunately, some people imagine that the purpose of "headroom" is to have a range which is never used. That's a misunderstanding. Think about someone who builds a building with 15 perfectly usable floors when only 12 are needed--that approach might make excellent sense if conditions can change unexpectedly. But setting aside "permanent headroom" is the difference between having those three floors "just in case they're needed" versus having them "just to have them." There's no practical point in the latter, and it can actually cost you audibly in terms of noise in the recording.

--best regards
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:12:17 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com