Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: using an attenuator cable with my CA-14s  (Read 4540 times)

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
using an attenuator cable with my CA-14s
« on: February 24, 2014, 09:19:54 AM »
not tried using an attenuator cable before, but I intend to tape some quite loud shows. Does this produce better results than just recording at a bit lower levels? I just don't want to brick wall or get distortion or pops, though I find my recordings are always better if you push it as close to the limit as possible.

Does the attenuator cable affect the overall recording quality/characteristics the way, say a bass roll off, might? or is it just the case that you can push the levels little harder with an attenuator cable without high spl messing it up? I assume the recording volume comes out a bit lower with a cable? If so is it easily adjustable in post?
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Re: using an attenuator cable with my CA-14s
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 09:57:25 AM »
I would recommend you only use the attenuator if you have your recorder AND any preamp all at or close to lowest gain levels and are still at or close to brickwalling.

Although a good attenuator shouldn't degrade the recording, it's better if you don't need to have an additional item in the gear chain if really not necessary.

There's nothing wrong with running preamps and recorders with low gain, and in fact that would be preferred as in general the higher gain you add at those stages the more likely you are adding at least small amounts of noise. There are exceptions of course and sometimes beneficial things happen if gear is pushed to certain levels, but in general I would say this is a good position to start from.

Best to aim for about -12db or so during the recording and just raise in post-processing. If you push to the edge, and especially if in a situation you can't monitor levels closely, you run the risk of irreparably damaging the recording. Easy to add gain later. Not easy, and often impossible to fix distortion from overloading.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:12:58 PM »
not tried using an attenuator cable before, but I intend to tape some quite loud shows. Does this produce better results than just recording at a bit lower levels? I just don't want to brick wall or get distortion or pops, though I find my recordings are always better if you push it as close to the limit as possible.

Does the attenuator cable affect the overall recording quality/characteristics the way, say a bass roll off, might? or is it just the case that you can push the levels little harder with an attenuator cable without high spl messing it up? I assume the recording volume comes out a bit lower with a cable? If so is it easily adjustable in post?
Why do you need to attenuate the signal? Thats the question. If you do I suggest not using a cable. But getting a better recorder that can handle a hotter input.

Yes attenuation cables do effect sound quality when used with a microphone.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 02:09:42 PM »
oh....so currently I run CA-14s > Ca9100 > Roland R09....the last recording I made I got a little 'pop' occasionally when the artist played the harmonica (very loudly) - easily sorted in post...but perhaps a different recorder would handle it better, like a Sony M10 maybe?
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
oh....so currently I run CA-14s > Ca9100 > Roland R09....the last recording I made I got a little 'pop' occasionally when the artist played the harmonica (very loudly) - easily sorted in post...but perhaps a different recorder would handle it better, like a Sony M10 maybe?

What were the gain settings for the 9100 and R09 for that recording? can you lower those any more? I would be surprised if you can't get a decent recording with the gear you have unless the source is just super duper loud. were mics really close to PA's or something?
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 02:23:25 PM »
yes I could lower it - I tend to stack tape - my tapes are usually very good but I just find myself concerned when taping that louder parts might push things over the edge a little bit.

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 02:42:50 PM »
First thing I would do is back off the gain on the preamp to zero. That may well be all you need to do. If it doesn't work then also lower the R09 input to the safe min which is something like 12??  You really shouldnt need an attenuator cabke wirh the Church Audio mics.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 03:14:12 PM »
First thing I would do is back off the gain on the preamp to zero. That may well be all you need to do. If it doesn't work then also lower the R09 input to the safe min which is something like 12??  You really shouldnt need an attenuator cabke wirh the Church Audio mics.
and unless you have the pre down, all the cable is doing is lowering the signal for you so it defeats the point
Make sure the pre and r09 are set right and you should be fine without a cable
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 04:40:14 PM »
No the R-09 line input should be fine make sure your using a ver 3.0 or greater 9100 preamp.
I would also check that you start off with unity gain on the r09 then increase the 9100 until you get the gain you need. Shoot for -10 to -7 max on your r09 and that should get you in the ball park.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 05:25:47 PM »
If you ever do use an attenuator cable, it should not be connected between the mics and the battery box (or preamp) because the cable's resistance will affect the bias point of the mics.  Instead, you should put the attenuator cable between the output of your battery box (or preamp) and the input to your recording device.  I've had to use an attenuator cable when running mic signal to a video recorder that did not have a line level audio input (only a mic level input).
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 04:55:18 AM »
Thanks for all the advise  :)

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 11:30:52 AM »
Just out of interest, since I'm not sure, do the CA-14s have the 4.7k mod by default? I have the smaller, newer CA-14s.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com