Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ventilation noise  (Read 2629 times)

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
ventilation noise
« on: May 24, 2006, 02:07:19 PM »
So, the last time I taped I set up my Audix M1290s (cardioid caps) in a carefully measured DIN configuration dead center at the back of a very nice-sounding theater about 8 feet off the floor.  The imaging was excellent, but unfortunately (I found out later) I had the right mic pointed at an unobtrusive A/C vent, leading to intermittent and unbalanced background noise in the right channel which wasn't noticeable to my omnidirectional ears during the performance.

I'm sure this isn't much of an issue for a NIN show, but how does one avoid this kind of problem at a quiet concert in an unfamiliar venue, short of just pointing the mics forward?  Does anyone monitor while they're recording? 

Forgive me if this has been discussed somewhere before.
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: ventilation noise
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 02:16:01 PM »
I'm sure this isn't much of an issue for a NIN show, but how does one avoid this kind of problem at a quiet concert in an unfamiliar venue, short of just pointing the mics forward?  Does anyone monitor while they're recording?

<1>  Always use windscreens (broke my own rule recently and flubbed the recording as a result)
<2>  Just keep an eye out for vents and adjust your location / height accordingly - they're easy to spot if you're looking for them
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 08:16:53 PM »
second the look out for vents point.  also keep an eye out for the dreaded "smoke eater". these things will kick on all of a sudden and ....

i've shifted to not useing screens in no-smoking venues, but if i'm near a vent i'll put them on jic.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 12:09:02 AM »

<1>  Always use windscreens (broke my own rule recently and flubbed the recording as a result)
<2>  Just keep an eye out for vents and adjust your location / height accordingly - they're easy to spot if you're looking for them

not only wind, but smoke/other particles are drawn to your diaphrams like flies to shit. the foam will trap them.  and, there's always moving air being caused by something.
db

Offline kbergend

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 01:48:57 PM »
FTR I was using windscreens (a lesson learned during my last taping mishap when a draft in the venue I barely felt at seat level created considerable noise up at the mics).  This wasn't wind noise, it was the gentle wooshing of air from a vent that must have been at least 20 feet away which the mic happened to be pointing at.

Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure I scout more carefully next time!
Keith from NY

Darktrain cables

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 10:37:51 AM »
So, the last time I taped I set up my Audix M1290s (cardioid caps) in a carefully measured DIN configuration dead center at the back of a very nice-sounding theater about 8 feet off the floor.  The imaging was excellent, but unfortunately (I found out later) I had the right mic pointed at an unobtrusive A/C vent, leading to intermittent and unbalanced background noise in the right channel which wasn't noticeable to my omnidirectional ears during the performance.

Forgive me if this has been discussed somewhere before.

bass roll off at about 65=>70hz @ 6dB
This is one of the worst of the cursed "ism's" of my recording, constantly....
oh yes, our concert hall was developed for optimal sound, and perfect acoustics

WTF??,... then why did you cheap out with the noisy air conditioning sytem that wails away, and smudges the sound?

/rant

How do you know the exact Hz to dB ratio you are rolling off?  Say with a V2 which only has the HPF 1 and 2

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 10:46:04 AM »
How do you know the exact Hz to dB ratio you are rolling off?  Say with a V2 which only has the HPF 1 and 2

http://www.gracedesign.com/support/v2_manual_a.pdf

read the manual, it will give you details about the cutoff and slope.  I believe you can do any combination of 4 cutoff frequencies and 2 slopes, set by dip switches inside the V2 (same with the V3).
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 10:50:11 AM »

http://www.gracedesign.com/support/v2_manual_a.pdf

read the manual, it will give you details about the cutoff and slope.  I believe you can do any combination of 4 cutoff frequencies and 2 slopes, set by dip switches inside the V2 (same with the V3).

the old RTFM always works.  I dont have a manual as mine was purchased used and I didn't even think to look for it here....thanks.

Offline kbergend

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 09:46:11 PM »
I just wanted to add that I had pretty good results sharply rolling off the bass below 60Hz in post-processing (CEP) for the earlier recording I mentioned with wind noise.  It's still audible, but way less prominent.

Also, I guess this is as good a place as any to mention that {flourish of trumpets} I recorded the first show in my short career as a taper where nothing went seriously wrong and which I think really sounds lifelike! :D (although I did have to use chkdsk /f to recover the 24-bit .wav file the #$@*ing Microtrack failed to close properly on the CF card)   It was Al DiMeola and his band in a blowout show at the Boulton Center in Bay Shore last Saturday.  For the first time I'm actually feeling like the upgrade from my trusty Sharp MD & AT943s was worth all the money.   If I can figure out how to seed on dimeadozen I'll upload it one of these days.

I'd also like to thank the vets here for all their generous advice, and especially ShawnF whose recordings really inspired me to become a better taper.
Keith from NY

Darktrain cables

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com