Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Possible Upgrade Suggestions  (Read 1445 times)

Offline themonkey

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Possible Upgrade Suggestions
« on: April 17, 2007, 06:58:44 PM »
Looking for some suggestions as to what route i should go.  I've been using a JB3 for a few yrs usually to patch off of sbd's, however i down own a set of SP-CMC-2's and  the battery box with bass roll-off (SP-SPSB-10).  Also bought a AD-20 which I've never really utilized much as well.

Interested in recording more with mics, however concerned with the AD-20 inline might be too much for the mics to handle, especially at loud rock shows in small to midsize venues.

I would like to make use of the AD-20 and not opposed to upgrading mics within a budget of say $300-500. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: Possible Upgrade Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 09:20:37 AM »
The AD-20 is fine in recording in 90% of situations.  It can handle a hot signal, and you can use an in-line 11db attenuator cable for really hot signals.  I would think that the SP setup you have into the AD-20 would sound great.  I ran AKG 391 / 393 mics with the AD-20 and Gefells as well, and both sounded fantastic with the unit.  The AKG 39x series would fit within your budget without much of a problem and I can recommend them without hesitation.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 09:12:37 PM »
For $300-$500, I'd recommend selling the AD-20 (adding $200 to the budget...), looking for a T or W mod UA-5 in Yard Sale and then getting C4's or 390's with the remaining budget.  JMO...

Note, this is NOT a stealth rig.  If you're looking for something stealthy, PM Church Audio.

Offline Kevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 04:08:52 AM »
check out AKG 300s
481(3)>722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com