Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps Pricing Update - April 8, 2011  (Read 5864 times)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Schoeps Pricing Update - April 8, 2011
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:23:15 AM »
Looks like Schoeps will be updating their pricing come April 8th. Anyone have any insight if this will for better or worse? Might need to put in an order asap!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 11:25:53 AM by hi and lo »

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Re: Schoeps Pricing Update - April 8, 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:25:46 AM »
Again?  :shakes head:  How they stay in business is beyond me.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:32:42 PM »
Redding controls the US pricing and the updates in the last few years have mainly been driven by the change in the Euro as they buy their stock with Euros.

Last change was to lower as the exchange rate was in 1.25 Dollars to 1 Euro range - now with the Euro back up to over 1.42 Dollars to 1 Euro range I guess you can understand why prices will be going back up.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:36:35 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 01:49:01 PM »
Yep, I just got confirmation they're going back up to where they were two price revisions ago. Better get your orders in asap if you're looking to buy Schoeps gear!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 03:47:23 PM »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »

If it's really just Euro fluxuation, then I wouldn't be as worried. Neumann went up not too long ago IIRC. If you make really good friends with a sales rep somewhere, chances are they will tell you how stuff is moving. I know that my beyerdynamics change price periodically but most end users don't see that due to the markup.

That said, I agree that if you want something, now's the time to do it before they change the price.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 04:40:51 PM »

I'm sure they're doing quite well.

The German network ARD (which is the world's largest public broadcaster) is among their major clients. So whenever I watch the news I see and hear Schoeps mics. :)

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 05:23:22 PM »
So whenever I watch the news I see and hear Schoeps mics. :)

Sounds rough!

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 04:51:03 PM »
german public broadcasting sounds fairly sinister
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 05:28:07 PM »
"Vee Germanz are not a Whar-like Peepole"

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 09:24:26 PM »
Tim and Nick's Picks, for several decades after World War II, broadcasting in West Germany and several other central and Western European countries (including the UK) was entirely state-financed and thus "public" as we call it here. And throughout those countries there were stations devoted primarily to music broadcasting, that didn't just spin records 24/7. The stations had their own orchestras, chamber music ensembles, dance bands, and singers (both classical and non-classical) on staff--plus cadres of engineers who were really trained as engineers, not just adopting that title for themselves.

Live broadcasts and live recordings and discussions with performers and composers were made every day, and the public tuned in and listened. Listening wasn't just a matter of which canned, commercial product you chose from a menu; you more likely knew what was going on in the world of music and who the creative minds were. Imagine if the norm were for radio and television to have no commercials, and to be legally responsible for balanced, objective reporting of news and public events. The public expected (and in my opinion, got) much more from their broadcasters in those years than we do in the United States today--by far, I would say.

Since this is a forum about recording, let me also point out that this all has a great deal to do with the microphones that we still use today. European broadcasters couldn't just go to their neighborhood Radio Shack and buy whatever was on the shelves; the broadcasting organizations in the various countries had research laboratories which specified and tested all the recording, mixing and broadcasting equipment used by their broadcasters. These research laboratories also designed some equipment and licensed it to be manufactured and sold by established manufacturers. In Austria that meant AKG; in Germany that included both Neumann and Schoeps, and later (after re-unification), Microtech Gefell.

Thus the broadcast organizations as a unit had enormous influence on the types of equipment (including microphones) that were developed during the post-war decades. I think it's safe to say that Neumann, Schoeps, AKG, Beyer, Sennheiser, Studer and many other European manufacturers of professional audio equipment large and small would not have gotten through the 1950s without this government-supported broadcasting during the years after the war.

--best regards
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:30:45 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 06:55:33 AM »
I was quoting the Simpsons....
(fwiw)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 08:45:15 AM »
price updates out on redding's site
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline dream

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »

Thus the broadcast organizations as a unit had enormous influence on the types of equipment (including microphones) that were developed during the post-war decades.

That was a great post (as usual) Mr. Satz. Just let me add some small things. It's not just about receiving orders from the public broadcasting for companies like Schoeps, Neumann, etc.
The important point is that the German broadcast gave the financial funds/security to actively develop something new, test it in the field, etc. A lot of things we technically 'admire' today
are coming from some lea way the public gave via their taxes thru broadcasting to these companies to develop new ideas without chasing for the next order. It was practically a direct
support for a very creative nerd culture. Not everything was following 'profit maximizing' thus unleashing creativity. That was also true even in the artistic field. Stockhausen wouldn't have
been so successful without the public broadcasting organization, the WDR, installing a massive state of the art electronic studio in the 50ies tailored to his work flow.
The acid of economic liberalism has weakened all this to some extend over the last decades but there are still residues of these principals still standing. Companies like Quantec, Lake-People, maybe Schoeps and other wouldn't probably not existing anymore without orders from the public broadcast here. One of my favorite companies ever, EMT, didn't survive this.
To call (public) German Broadcast 'sinister' is probably a complete misunderstanding of their inner structure, which gave the great achievements we got over the decades.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 11:42:36 AM »

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 01:03:53 PM »

Personally, I'm glad to see the prices go up (CCM41 went up to $2228/ea, $4500/matched pair) since I'll likely be selling my minty, barely used (6 times) pair bought in Sept of 2010 (shameless plug) soon.  :P

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »

Personally, I'm glad to see the prices go up (CCM41 went up to $2228/ea, $4500/matched pair) since I'll likely be selling my minty, barely used (6 times) pair bought in Sept of 2010 (shameless plug) soon.  :P

DAMN, I want your mics :P :'(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
my mic went down 500$ last time, and now back up 500$ this time.  keeps the resale value up ;D
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com