Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Flattest Low Pro Omni's ?  (Read 13323 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Flattest Low Pro Omni's ?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
Yeah, I did some listening on a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 PRO's.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »
@Gutbucket: The +4dB bright grids are a little punchier/crunchier on paper than the 4061's so I'd tend to agree that they'll sound a little less smooth than the 4061's with soft-boost grids.   

Impressive how you can characterize how the mics will sound from just looking at their frequency response curves... ;)

I did own the 4061's for about 9 months are recorded numerous shows with them so I can say this based on experience.  :)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 03:48:56 PM »
@Gutbucket: The +4dB bright grids are a little punchier/crunchier on paper than the 4061's so I'd tend to agree that they'll sound a little less smooth than the 4061's with soft-boost grids.   

Impressive how you can characterize how the mics will sound from just looking at their frequency response curves... ;)

I did own the 4061's for about 9 months are recorded numerous shows with them so I can say this based on experience.  :)

OK, but you were specifically comparing the characteristics of the B3s to the 4061s, and you have never used the B3s...That comparison, in your words, was "on paper"...

I've since switched to Countryman Associates B3's but haven't had a chance to run mine yet due to some personal circumstances which suck. 

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 04:27:55 PM »
I've used DPA 4060, B3 and MCE400.  The B3 and MCE400 just sound "more natural" to my ears, regardless of the exact frequency response, grids, etc.  The DPA have great detail and sound realistic, but if you listen to music, they just don't sound pleasant for me.

Hey, if those DPA4060 sounded so good, we'd never use the (Nickel) 4006 or the Geffel MK221 would we?  It might be something to do with the diaphragm (stainless steel in the B3 and Nevaton).  Or it might be that the DPA4060 is distorting somehow (at higher frequencies).

Years ago I bought the DPA4060 thinking "my search is over".  But I was wrong, there are better mics out there...

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 06:40:14 PM »
I've used DPA 4060, B3 and MCE400.  The B3 and MCE400 just sound "more natural" to my ears, regardless of the exact frequency response, grids, etc.  The DPA have great detail and sound realistic, but if you listen to music, they just don't sound pleasant for me.

Hey, if those DPA4060 sounded so good, we'd never use the (Nickel) 4006 or the Geffel MK221 would we?  It might be something to do with the diaphragm (stainless steel in the B3 and Nevaton).  Or it might be that the DPA4060 is distorting somehow (at higher frequencies).

Years ago I bought the DPA4060 thinking "my search is over".  But I was wrong, there are better mics out there...

Richard

Ditto. Exact same story here, except only the 4060's and MCE400's for me.

Thinking about picking up the B3's too...just to see if I like them better.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 07:52:24 PM »

OK, but you were specifically comparing the characteristics of the B3s to the 4061s, and you have never used the B3s...That comparison, in your words, was "on paper"...

I've since switched to Countryman Associates B3's but haven't had a chance to run mine yet due to some personal circumstances which suck. 

Right, but he's listened to samples, including some that I sent him.   Seems reasonable to me that Adrian compared the B3 samples to recordings he's made with his previously owned DPA's. 

Here's some of the samples I shared with Adrian:

Tift Merritt opening for Joseph Arthur at City Winery NYC:

http://www.mediafire.com/?novybbua0a34kna

Joseph Arthur at City Winery NYC:

http://www.mediafire.com/?25c3o5q67d817z3
http://www.mediafire.com/?54i4vwx33v7dewr
http://www.mediafire.com/?kwy52j1xg5ijhjh
http://www.mediafire.com/?6gb6oy47ubwblv9

Keb Mo at BB King's, NYC:
http://www.mediafire.com/?o1iud0s1qkkf6j5
http://www.mediafire.com/?5e4qajl1dupao05

Ed Roland & Kevin Griffin at (yes, again!) City Winery:

http://www.mediafire.com/?5f7h85m8a7d5b6m

Alan Doyle (I know, it's like a broken record) at City Winery:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ji1akriervhsn78
http://www.mediafire.com/?chuqef99hhqv07u

Edit:  Slightly off-topic, this is the reason why I like the at853 sub-cards so much (minus the little click): 

Here's a sample mp3 of Dominic Farinacci performing at the Zinc Bar during this past Winter Jazz Festival:  http://www.mediafire.com/?z5bd29r8lcn3s85
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:35:58 PM by Georgios »
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 07:04:08 AM »
Right, but he's listened to samples, including some that I sent him.   Seems reasonable to me that Adrian compared the B3 samples to recordings he's made with his previously owned DPA's. 

Perhaps, but that's not what he wrote...Besides, how well can you make a mic comparison based on a few samples?  Too many variables involved to really draw any valid conclusions...In any event, I was just jerking his chain a bit (seriously, "crunchier on paper"?)...

Are your samples with the flat or 4 dB grids? 

Richard

I am shocked to hear you say that, Richard.  SHOCKED, I tell you! ;)

But the 4006/MK221 comparison isn't really fair.  None of these small omnis have a chance against that level of competition...

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 08:15:12 AM »

Perhaps, but that's not what he wrote...Besides, how well can you make a mic comparison based on a few samples?  Too many variables involved to really draw any valid conclusions...In any event, I was just jerking his chain a bit (seriously, "crunchier on paper"?)...

Are your samples with the flat or 4 dB grids? 

I often read experienced tapers instructing newbies to go check the archive to listen to samples to compare various microphones.  Personally, I've never done it as I find it wouldn't help me one bit.  Every microphone purchase I've made was a blind purchase without ever listening to samples.  I think written reputation goes a long way.  Not sure what crunchier means, lol.  I prefer terms like thick, muddy, bright, punchy, transparent, etc. 

Mine are with the flat grids, as far as I know...I've never changed them.   

Feel free to provide any feedback if you get a chance   8)

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 08:36:01 AM »
I often read experienced tapers instructing newbies to go check the archive to listen to samples to compare various microphones.  Personally, I've never done it as I find it wouldn't help me one bit.  Every microphone purchase I've made was a blind purchase without ever listening to samples.  I think written reputation goes a long way.  Not sure what crunchier means, lol.  I prefer terms like thick, muddy, bright, punchy, transparent, etc. 

Personally, I think there is some value in listening to samples to get a general impression of how a given mic sounds (assuming they are even available for the mics you're interested in).  Maybe you can infer, to some extent, how two mics differ.  To really compare them, though, I think you need to set up a controlled comp in which all factors (other than the microphones) are the same... 

Mine are with the flat grids, as far as I know...I've never changed them.   

Feel free to provide any feedback if you get a chance   8)

Will do.  I'd like to find some samples with that +4 dB grid too.

adrianf74

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2012, 11:32:23 PM »
Finally got a chance to bust out the B3's with an Ugly Battery Box at a pretty high security club show (I felt more violated going in than I did going through a TSA check point).

I wouldn't say the show was the best place to try these as it was a hip hop band with live musicians (drums, bass, guitar) plus a DJ and the mix was a little bit of a "hot mess."  A friend of mine who was at the show felt it sounded murky but the capture with the B3's was pretty nice and flat.  Didn't sound muddy, didn't sound distorted and I think I like the sound better than the 4061's. 

In order to get more of a fair comparison, I'll need to do a show similar to one already recorded with the 4061's recorded from roughly the same spot to be able to make more of fair comparison.  However, the B3's were used from more or less the same spot I've always recorded from in the venue (with the 4061's and the CA-14's omnis, too).

Will update whenever I get to another show.

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 03:54:38 AM »
^ Is the 2.2k mod sufficient for loud-ish shows, or would 4.7 be safer?

adrianf74

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2012, 11:31:34 AM »
^ Is the 2.2k mod sufficient for loud-ish shows, or would 4.7 be safer?

Hard to say as it depends on the mics; "one size does not fit all."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com