Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rode actives  (Read 6251 times)

Offline tadjblack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Rode actives
« on: August 22, 2005, 10:23:47 AM »
Looks like Rode is making an active version of the NT5.

http://www.audio-recording.co.uk/news/hardware/hhb_launches_r%f8de_nt6_microphone/
Team Bama Alumni

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Rode actives
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 12:46:38 PM »
hmm, pretty interesting. 

good find, +t

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 02:29:34 PM »
Specs here:
http://www.rode.com.au/downloads/NT6_WitPpr_v04_Aug05.pdf
Looks kind of like the MBHO active system, but cardioid only.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 09:30:30 PM »
Jesus when is AKG gonna get on it.  They had the right idea, made actives, and then blew it!
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 01:27:52 AM »
At the risk of sounding like a dumb newbie (which I am), what does the "active" part actually mean? I keep seeing reference to it, but sorry to say, I don't know what it actually means?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 07:58:52 AM »
cool.
too bad the nt5s sound like ASS....as this is basicly the same mic.

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 09:14:26 AM »
cool.
too bad the nt5s sound like ASS....as this is basicly the same mic.

that is what i was going to say... who cares about actives if the mics sound like crap.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Ray76

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 10:18:36 AM »
At the risk of sounding like a dumb newbie (which I am), what does the "active" part actually mean? I keep seeing reference to it, but sorry to say, I don't know what it actually means?
means the cables(active cables) allow you to run the caps without the mic body.

teddy

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 10:25:37 AM »
means the cables(active cables) allow you to run the caps without the mic body.

teddy

not true as a blanket statement...some mics allow this, but the actives for the neumann, mbho's as an example are cables that seperate the mic cap from teh body, yet are still active cables... and require the bodies to function

schoeps and dpa manufacture truly bodiless options

Ray76

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 10:29:54 AM »
thanks for the correction Nick. I was making a blanket statement.

:)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 12:26:00 PM »
well...to be exact.
an "active cable" means that the cable system itself has some circuitry that acts as a preamp..just like the preamp body of the mic.
this is needed to bost the signal  from the capsul to the mic body, as you can't run the super low signal from a capsul down 3m of cable to the mic body/preamp part.  it wont work w/o help..and that help is the "active" part of an active cable

the schoeps and DPA are not an active cable. that is an active capsule.  basicaly miniturized.
the schoeps active cable is the standard deal between the cmcx and mkx cap.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 01:04:17 PM »
well...to be exact.
an "active cable" means that the cable system itself has some circuitry that acts as a preamp..just like the preamp body of the mic.
this is needed to bost the signal from the capsul to the mic body, as you can't run the super low signal from a capsul down 3m of cable to the mic body/preamp part. it wont work w/o help..and that help is the "active" part of an active cable

the schoeps and DPA are not an active cable. that is an active capsule. basicaly miniturized.
the schoeps active cable is the standard deal between the cmcx and mkx cap.

good point...thanks Nick!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 01:22:06 PM »
thanks...I just had it sharpened.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 01:27:31 AM »
Now educated... Thanks!

Also, since you guys said those NT's sound like "ass", I was wondering what you guys think about C4s, which I'm thinking about buying...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 03:32:51 AM »
the C4's seem to have a pretty good rep around here

I have no personal experience with them though :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2005, 01:58:10 PM »
Now educated... Thanks!

Also, since you guys said those NT's sound like "ass", I was wondering what you guys think about C4s, which I'm thinking about buying...

what is your ceiling for $ spent on mics?

I'm open for ideas, but I'm limited to under $600 (for both) because of a bunch of other gear I want to purchase too.

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2005, 03:01:36 PM »
If you want something like actives for stealth purposes, what about the AT853s or DPA4060s?  The DPAs might be a bit over $600 though. If you just want a good pair of mics for under $600, then the C4s or AKG 391s would both be good choices.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Ray76

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2005, 10:04:48 PM »
If you want something like actives for stealth purposes, what about the AT853s or DPA4060s?  The DPAs might be a bit over $600 though. If you just want a good pair of mics for under $600, then the C4s or AKG 391s would both be good choices.
exactly, and with them both you have multiple cap options.

l LOVED my c4s when I had em.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2005, 10:56:33 PM »

How much would a pair of AT853s run new? How do those compare with the C4s on sound and price? It seems the ATs are more stealthable, which isn't a main considreation for me, but would be nice nonetheless. Do they sound as good? Also, what about cost? The C4s come with extras too (case, shock mounts, etc.)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 11:01:00 PM by Tainted »

Ray76

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2005, 11:06:48 PM »

How much would a pair of AT853s run new? How do those compare with the C4s on sound and price? It seems the ATs are more stealthable, which isn't a main considreation for me, but would be nice nonetheless. Do they sound as good? Also, what about cost? The C4s come with extras too (case, shock mounts, etc.)

Stealthability??hands down the ATs...price...well I think they are both in the same ballpark , though I dont have specifics...sound AS good??thats a question thatll get you many different answers..it is all subjective....
best thing to do is go to the archive, type in those mics in the search bar...and get shows that were made with each of em. trust your ears, not ours..but stealth..hands down..ATs..I had C4s...i loved em...very respected around here as are the ATs...more folks run the ats...and I mentioned that a guy here"the great gumbino" has a whole rig for sale..c4s, ua5 ......id be all over that...great beginner rig...and the ua5 everyone uses...it is an oade mod so they will mod it for you to somehting else i believe.but yeah,..go to the archive and search around...your ears wont lie to you. The ATs dont come with shocks because they are lapel mounted lav mics.the c4 package is indeed presented well....
You like punk right??or no??at any rate, I have a mike watt and the secondmen show up on the archive made with C4s. sounds damn good. It was c4>wmod ua5>jb3.
given that the oade ua5s arent around much for sale...I would seriously jump on that package deal that Gumbino is selling.
Teddy
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 11:10:18 PM by BigRay »

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2005, 11:11:41 PM »
There are a ton of recordings out there with the 853s and quite a few with the C4s. I have seen 853s go for $120 NIB on Ebay lately. If you go to fullcompass.com, they have them new for $146 each which is still a good deal IMO.

http://www.fullcompass.com/products/pages/SKU--10074/index.html

I believe these are the ones with the XLR termination to be run with a preamp providing phantom power, but they have other termination options also. I have seen people cut the termination off these and add mini XLRs so they can be run with a bat box or phantom power (you'd have to make miniXLR>1/8 cable). If I bought an additional set of mics, these would be the ones given the price, size and availability of additional caps.

I think that both the C4s and 853s are 20-20kHz. The C4s run about $300 and have both card and omni caps included, but offer no other caps. They also come with a Tbar and shockmounts, but you will need a pair of XLR cables.

What kind of preamp will you be using these with?

EDIT: Some of this was just covered by Ray cause he can make the keyboard spell things faster than me  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 11:13:23 PM by johnw »

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2005, 11:32:56 PM »
I'm open for ideas, but I'm limited to under $600 (for both) because of a bunch of other gear I want to purchase too.

check these out http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=44867.0

he is asking 625, you never know you could get him to cut 25 off

ps i love these mics. wish i had the $$ to pic them up

Offline nexus6

• Taperssection Regular
  • 'Policemen?'
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2005, 01:00:57 AM »
Tainted, the AT853 are a great starting point both in terms of price and flexibility.  If you can get a new pair for $300 or less, I'd say that is a bargain.  They are alot like actives, small and stealthable; they also have the option of different caps.  You can save you extra money to get a better pre (like a MP2).  When you get a replacment for the ATs, you wll already have a cornerstone piece of your rig, the MP2 or whatever you chose to add the addition $300 you saved on the mics.

+T to your avatar....there are so many great quotes that Rutger had in that movie.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2005, 12:44:58 PM »
+T to your avatar....there are so many great quotes that Rutger had in that movie.

No doubt, you're looking at one hardcore BR fan here... Owner of just about every version of the movie, including the Criterion LASER DISC version (pretty much the only widescreen version available of the original Theatrical Release... The voiceover and happy ending version). Anyway, I immediately saw your avatar and your tag, and was like sweet, another BR freak in my midst!

And thanks everyone for your tips... I'm learning quickly...

--Tayt3d

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com