Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need some help on DPA4061 microphones & MT24/96  (Read 6583 times)

Offline Hman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Need some help on DPA4061 microphones & MT24/96
« on: March 13, 2007, 07:03:16 AM »
Hello tapers,

I have some questions for you all. I own a Microtrack 24/96, and planning to buy some new mics, the DPA4061 omni-directionals.
I'm doubting to buy the MPS6030 as well, or a SP-SPSB-6/8.
Thing is, I don't know if the MPS6030 also is a bass-filter.. I was wondering is someone here could help me with this matter??
Any other suggestions are welcome as well!

Greetings,
Maarten

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Need some help on DPA4061 microphones & MT24/96
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 07:13:21 AM »
I'd go for SP box since it's cheaper and smaller (good for stealthing) but in any case you have to user a dual adapterfor the MT  (depending on DPA mics termination)

Offline Hman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 07:29:03 AM »
I'd go for SP box since it's cheaper and smaller (good for stealthing) but in any case you have to user a dual adapterfor the MT  (depending on DPA mics termination)

Dual adapter for the MT? What's that? Please, help.. (I'm a rookie you know ;-)

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 10:30:44 AM »
get the very clean, small, and affordable DPA mma6000, it has bass roll off, phantom power, and gain controls (right and left), it pairs perfectly with the DPA mics, runs about 450 new

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 12:06:02 PM »
get the very clean, small, and affordable DPA mma6000, it has bass roll off, phantom power, and gain controls (right and left), it pairs perfectly with the DPA mics, runs about 450 new
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I use the MMA6000 and love it, but I have to say that the bass roll off is designed for speech applications and is way too high to be useful for music.  It powers the mics correctly (as a batt box would do also) at 5v, but that is not technically 'phantom power' and uses the DPA microdot connectors which also rules out using it with other mics (that may require actual 48v phantom).  That pre is dedicated to the DPA 406x mics alone and works a charm.  Also keep in mind that it is larger than either a battery box or your MT if that makes a difference to you, though you can still pocket it.  It has a standard 1/8" TRS line out.

[edit for grammy errors and detail]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 12:14:22 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Hman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 04:43:25 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I use the MMA6000 and love it, but I have to say that the bass roll off is designed for speech applications and is way too high to be useful for music.  It powers the mics correctly (as a batt box would do also) at 5v, but that is not technically 'phantom power' and uses the DPA microdot connectors which also rules out using it with other mics (that may require actual 48v phantom).  That pre is dedicated to the DPA 406x mics alone and works a charm.  Also keep in mind that it is larger than either a battery box or your MT if that makes a difference to you, though you can still pocket it.  It has a standard 1/8" TRS line out.

[edit for grammy errors and detail]

OK, thanks for letting me know all this. I will use the bass-roll off mostly at indoor-arena's, so the MMA6000 doesn't seem to be an option.
I was thinking about MPS6030, or the SP-SPSB-6/8.. I know the SP is cheaper, but I'm looking for good results and something which is easy to use.

Does the MPS6030 have a bass-roll off filter??

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 08:45:39 AM »
HI MAARTEN

YOU SHOULD ALSO CHECH OUT CA ST 9100 PRE AMP WHICH CAN COME WITH DUAL DPA DOT INPUTS IF ORDERED THAT WAY,
9V TO MICS ALSO + BASS FILTER OPTIONS & MORE, GIVE CHRIS CHURCH A PM & TELL HIM WHAT YOU WANT ...

I JUST ORDERED HIS 9100 PA THIS WEEK  MYSELF..MR1 NEXT WEEK....

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CHOICES ....

GEORGE

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 11:37:49 AM »
GEORGE

Hi George - no need to do the equivalent of YELLING IN YOUR POSTS WITH ALLCAPS.  FYI, common netiquette encourages Proper Case for easier reading.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Alchemy

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 01:25:44 PM »
THIS IS HOW I POST ALWAYS IN CAP ALWAYS..
NOT YELLING BY NO MEANS...I ALWAYS DO WHAT I WANT TO DO -- BRIAN DONT TELL ME TO STOP THE CAP.
LEARN TO ACCEPT ME AS A CAP POSTER.. LAZY TO CAP ON OFF ALL TIME..DO CAP SO I AT LEAST ADDRESS NAMES IN CAP..

IM A PLUMBER - TRADESMAN -- NOT YOUR SHCOOL A GRADE ACADEMIC TYPE, NOT MUCH CARE FOR ENGLISH RULES..
MY RULES ARE THERE ARE NO RULES-- RULES ARE FOR THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE BY THEM , NOT ONE OF THEM ..

DONT LET THE CAPITALS WORRY YOU BRIAN-- THEY ARE JUST LETTERS , THEY DONT MAKE ANY NOISE WHATSOEVER..

ACCEPT ME AS A CAP MAN --------NOT YELLING BRIAN------THIS IS HOW I WRITE ALWAYS------

DIDNT DO IT THROUGH SCHOOL WONT START NOW...   ALL THE BEST TO YOU BRIAN -- I HOPE  YOU MEAN WELL---

BEST REGARDS

g.

:yack:

Offline Hman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 05:47:12 PM »
Looking for some serious answers here, no fooling around about
CAPS or something like that  ;)

Anyway, I already own a MM-EBM-1 batt. box. Can this one also been used in combination
with the MPS6030 and the DPAs??

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 05:56:17 PM »
Looking for some serious answers here, no fooling around about
CAPS or something like that  ;)

Anyway, I already own a MM-EBM-1 batt. box. Can this one also been used in combination
with the MPS6030 and the DPAs??

Why would you want to run two battery boxes? is it because of the high pass filter? I would honestly do the high pass filter thing in post because if you have a nice pair of DPA mics its not like they are going to overload. So filtering the bass out beforehand seems like waste. IMO..

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 06:08:59 PM »
Why would you want to run two battery boxes? is it because of the high pass filter? I would honestly do the high pass filter thing in post because if you have a nice pair of DPA mics its not like they are going to overload. So filtering the bass out beforehand seems like waste. IMO..
True.  I've had no problems with overloading using 4060's for this type of recording even with loud, bassy material.   Your 4061's have a 10db higher max SPL threshold before they'll clip than the 4060's.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Hman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 04:28:19 AM »
True.  I've had no problems with overloading using 4060's for this type of recording even with loud, bassy material.   Your 4061's have a 10db higher max SPL threshold before they'll clip than the 4060's.

Well yes indeed.. that's what I'm afraid of. I'm using a batt.box/bass-filter to prevent the recording from low-end distortion.
So if I'm right the MPS6030 powers the mics to such a level that low-end distortion won't be a problem any more? In other words,
when I use the MPS6030, I don't need a bass-filter anymore??

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 09:18:30 AM »

Well yes indeed.. that's what I'm afraid of. I'm using a batt.box/bass-filter to prevent the recording from low-end distortion.
So if I'm right the MPS6030 powers the mics to such a level that low-end distortion won't be a problem any more? In other words,
when I use the MPS6030, I don't need a bass-filter anymore??

There is a big misconception that if you increase plug in power you decrease distortion. This is not exactly the case. Tests that I have done show that the difference between 5 volts of plug in power and 10 volts is about .05% less distortion, that is such a little improvement its hardly worth it. Your DPA mics can handle the low end.

I dont really like using HPF for live recording, because you have just lopped off a bunch of lowend and you dont really know what thats going to sound like until you get home. So I think its always better to do it in post when you dump it down to a computer, then you can take you time have a good listen and make some good choices. But once its done at the concert its done.

You can maybe boost the lowend again to get it back to a degree, but it's pretty much lost forever. There are always exceptions to every rule though. In a huge arena you need a high pass filter sometimes to cut thru the mud... But I feel in a big arena you should be using Hyper cardioid or at the very least cardioid anyway to reduce the effects of the reverberant room on your recordings.

By pointing your mics at the stacks to increase the SPL from the PA and decrease the SPL from the reflected surfaces of the arena. So No you do not need two battery boxes you need one. You can get someone to simply modify your battery box to add a high pass filter its pretty easy. There are many users here that do mods. Like Bussman. I dont know if he would do it but he might.

Good luck with your recordings..

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 01:40:48 PM »
I had a similar problem with my DPA4060 and my MT24/96.
I posted what i did here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,76898.0.html
If you are willing to do a bit of DIY you could end up with a very small and cheap configuration.
I would recommend you either build a battery box (you need only two 6.2 Khom resistors besides the battery to do it) or the cross-feed dongle I built and am very happy with.
Hope this is of help.

Schoeps MK4's ORTF, MK41 & MK8 M-S, DPA 4060's,
Schoeps KCY, Naiant Tinybox II, Self-Made Battery Box for DPA's
Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, M-Audio Microtrack II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.191 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com