Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA5 question  (Read 3455 times)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
UA5 question
« on: July 01, 2004, 02:41:25 PM »
I went to record DDBB last night, got the opener, but about 80 minutes into the Dirty Dozen, I look over and notice that the phantom and headphone monitor is off. I try turning them on, but no luck. I power off, unplug the battery, reconnect, power on and then turn on phantom power. About 30 seconds later it goes back off. By this time, my wife and friends have already left and the only reason I'm sitting there is to get a complete recording, so I leave as well. I've never had this problem before - does it sound like the battery started dying? I fully charged it beforehand. It's a 3Ah RC style battery, so I should have had about 6hrs and only used maybe 3. I drained the battery and recharged it and it appears fine, but I'd like to avoid this again.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
Re: UA5 question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 02:56:06 PM »
The only thing I can think of is that the phantom will turn off once your battery gets to a certain voltage.  If this is the case, you should be able to recreate the problem by running your mics>ua5 (no need to connect a recorder) until it shuts down again.  Check the voltage of the battery when the phantom shuts down.  Repeat - see if you get the same results.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 03:12:16 PM »
Yup, that sounds like shutoff due to low battery voltage. When you turn it back on, you'll get juice for a few more seconds, but then it'll run out again and shut down.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 04:30:01 PM »
I had the exact same problem at a few shows recently... but I finally got it figured out. It's definitely some sort of voltage issue which was solved by having a bigger/stronger battery The Wal-Mart lithium ion battery and the Rat Shack R/C ones work the best.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 04:35:56 PM »
I ran into a similar-sounding problem @ STS9 last April in Chicago.... I looked down at the start of the 2nd set & phantom had turned off. I turned it back on and didn't think much until the end of the 2nd set when I looked down again and noticed the same problem you describe. I had to reboot my laptop just to get it to work again. If memory serves correctly, I was using a fully charged 3mAh battery from batteryspace.

I've used it since then and haven't had any problems, both times have been for ~4 hours each time.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 04:52:52 PM »
7.2 or 9.6 RC packs?   If 7.2 then that'd definately be suspect.    9.6 battery should of lasted you though at least 5 hours.   Maybe it is a bad battery if you did have it fully charged.    I think I've had something weird like that happen to me too except it was when I powered it on.  I tried to turn on the phantom power and it wouldn't go on even after waiting a while.   So I had to shut it off and turn it back on and it did work out without any problems.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 08:46:43 PM »
This was a BatterySpace 9.6V 3000mAh battery that I used to record the last three phish concerts no problem. I charged it right before the show, but I wonder if it started to get some memory since I never fully discharged it before recharging. I drained it last night and recharged it today and it seems to be working - we'll see. I may try to drain one and see if that happens. I wonder what the minimum votage is? I know it runs on less than 9V.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 11:19:15 PM »
This was a BatterySpace 9.6V 3000mAh battery that I used to record the last three phish concerts no problem. I charged it right before the show, but I wonder if it started to get some memory since I never fully discharged it before recharging. I drained it last night and recharged it today and it seems to be working - we'll see. I may try to drain one and see if that happens. I wonder what the minimum votage is? I know it runs on less than 9V.

Is it a NiCad battery?  If not, it doesn't develop a memory.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 01:04:43 AM »
Nah, the ones from batteryspace are NiMH
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 12:28:41 PM »
Yup, that sounds like shutoff due to low battery voltage. When you turn it back on, you'll get juice for a few more seconds, but then it'll run out again and shut down.

I also had the same problem.  I agree with greenone, this is a voltage problem.  The battery is not dead it just isn't giving up enough juice to power your mics.  When the battery starts to go the phantom power light will stay on but the recording will be very distorted, then my laptop will lose signal, and finally the light will go off.

My suggestion is buy the walmart 5400mAh LiION battery.  It's small, light, charges fast, and lasts long.
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 10:37:37 PM »
How are y'all charging those packs?  The one that comes with it is a very low current charger - it would need around 15 hours.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2004, 02:01:54 PM »
I was using the charger that comes with the RS 9V.  It does take at least 12 hours to charge.  Another reason I bought the walmart LiION battery.  Man I LOVE the walmart 9V...can't get over it.   ;D 

If you are running a UA5 you NEED to go to walmart. 

Do you really want to switch batteries mid-show??  I didn't think so ;)  Take yourself to walmart spend the 50$ and be happy, very happy.
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2004, 04:10:07 PM »
The batteries from battery space should give me at least 5 hours at 3Ah each. I got 2 and the rapid charger for ~$70 shipped. Since I just bought these about 3 months ago, I'm not ready to plunk down another $50 unless I can prove to myself that they don't work. THanks for the suggestion though BeckyT. I'm hoping that I accidentally plugged in the 2nd battery (which I never use and therefore hadn't charged in a while) instead of the one I do use and charged earlier that day. I'll find out at Stockholm tomorrow night.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2004, 04:20:33 PM »
I think I have a short or a bad connection in my home-made power cable that goes to the UA5. If it gets moved the Phantom Power shuts off, but the unit stays on (or turns on and off so fast I can't see it).

I have to look into that before I go out again.  If I wiggle the cable going into the UA5 it's fine, but seems to be where I had to solder the Rat Shack cable to the RC battery cable.

You might want to look into that.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com