Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what are you using to stealth?  (Read 14631 times)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: what are you using to stealth?
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2004, 06:58:39 PM »
you cannot move at ALL when you stealth. the mics must remain stationary.

It's kinda hard when you're packed into a sold-out venue with people pushing from every direction.  I guess I'm used to the omnis I was using before which were a bit more forgiving.

That's something you need to take into account when you're getting ready to tape.  Make sure you scope out a spot that will sound good and you wont have people pushing from every direction.  I've stealthed 2 sold out shows at the 9:30 Club in DC and haven't had a problem with this.

Also, you'll probably want to find a way to rig the mics on your head (i.e. in a hat) rather than on your shirt.  You want to get the mics as high as possible when stealthing.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Unitmonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2004, 03:18:55 AM »
setboy, I'll be posting a torrent for it in the "torrents" section today or tomorrow.

AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2004, 06:08:03 AM »

It's kinda hard when you're packed into a sold-out venue with people pushing from every direction.  I guess I'm used to the omnis I was using before which were a bit more forgiving.

That's something you need to take into account when you're getting ready to tape.  Make sure you scope out a spot that will sound good and you wont have people pushing from every direction.  I've stealthed 2 sold out shows at the 9:30 Club in DC and haven't had a problem with this.

Also, you'll probably want to find a way to rig the mics on your head (i.e. in a hat) rather than on your shirt.  You want to get the mics as high as possible when stealthing.

yeah, well, it's hard, but it can be done. i do it when i must. i bucked the mosh pit all night tonight - people flying in from the front and sides at static-x in a tiny sold-out club - yet i kept my head from turning. it shifted from side to side with my body (up to a few inches) when i got slammed but that happened only a few times when i just couldn't prevent it. if you brace yourself correctly, you can stand up to some pretty strong attacks... you just have to want it. and then you have a magnificent tape.
true, using omnis in the pit will help if you get run into. if your head turns with directional mics, you're truly fucked. with omnis, you're not so fucked. still fucked, because you can hear it on the tape, but it's not as bad.
anyway, y'all shoulda been there tonight.
armen

Offline Unitmonster

• Taperssection Member
  • taboot taboot
    • List
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2004, 06:15:57 AM »
if your head turns with directional mics, you're truly fucked

Yeah, that was one advantage of running the mics on my shirt rather than my hat, I thought.  Freedom to bob my head a bit (almost inevitable at a good show  ;D) without impacting the sound.  I lose about 8' of mic hight in the process though.  Bit of a tradeoff.
AT853rx (c,sc,o)> Fostex FR2-LE (Busman T-Mod)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2004, 08:09:25 AM »
if your head turns with directional mics, you're truly fucked

Yeah, that was one advantage of running the mics on my shirt rather than my hat, I thought.  Freedom to bob my head a bit (almost inevitable at a good show  ;D) without impacting the sound.  I lose about 8' of mic hight in the process though.  Bit of a tradeoff.

a bit of a significant trade off imo....next time your at a show, put your head where the mics would be if they were in your shirt, then listen head level....a huge difference

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2004, 09:28:55 PM »

yeah, well, it's hard, but it can be done. i do it when i must. i bucked the mosh pit all night tonight - people flying in from the front and sides at static-x in a tiny sold-out club - yet i kept my head from turning. it shifted from side to side with my body (up to a few inches) when i got slammed but that happened only a few times when i just couldn't prevent it. if you brace yourself correctly, you can stand up to some pretty strong attacks... you just have to want it. and then you have a magnificent tape.
true, using omnis in the pit will help if you get run into. if your head turns with directional mics, you're truly fucked. with omnis, you're not so fucked. still fucked, because you can hear it on the tape, but it's not as bad.
anyway, y'all shoulda been there tonight.
armen

Haha! Those are the times when you are not only the mic stand, but the shockmounts as well. :)

I have yet to stealth with my AT853 cards, but I have been in those situations with the CSB's.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com