Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problems w/ UA-5...  (Read 2027 times)

Offline RedMountain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Problems w/ UA-5...
« on: July 11, 2004, 01:13:06 PM »
I have a DigiMod UA-5 that I got from the Oade's a few weeks ago.  Been working great so far, then today I set all my gear up for some foley recording in the field (ambient bird noises in the woods...) and POW- the right XLR input on the UA-5 is all staticy.  I checked that it wasn't the mic cables and, no, its the Neutrix connector on the UA-5.  I opened up the beast and tried cleaning the connector and the Hi-Z/Lo-Z switch to see if this made any change, but no luck.  Tapping on the mic's XLR (or even touching the top of the UA-5) causes the right channel to peak.

Anybody have some feedback?  Time is critical, as I'm heading off for the Vibes in New York this thursday.  If I can't solve the problem I'm thinking of grabbing a stand-alone phantom power supply for my mic's and running them straight into the DAT.

(FWIW: AKG 414TL's--->UA-5 (DigiMod)--->Sony D10ProII--->Shure FP22 Headphone monitor amp)

Offline mirth

• Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
Re: Problems w/ UA-5...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 11:12:56 PM »
I'd call the Oades about it. They've been great as far as customer service is concerned. I'd tell them your situation & I bet they'd take care of you.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Re: Problems w/ UA-5...
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 05:38:04 PM »
Hope cracking the case doesn't void the warranty.

-Kevin

Offline RedMountain

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Problems w/ UA-5...PROBLEM SOLVED
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 06:12:03 AM »
Thanks to those w/ feedback!  I communicated w/ Doug Oade and he had me check out the mic cables themselves.  Sure enough, thats where the problem was.  Funny that the problem only appeared in the UA-5's right channel, though...

Anyway, problem solved by picking up a new pair of mic cables at the local music store!  (You know, the bad cables were by B.L.U.E. and were billed as "ultra high performance."  Anybody else have problems w/ gear by B.L.U.E.?

FWIW- Opening the UA-5's caase can't void the warranty- the unit already had the DigiMod done to it!

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
Re: Problems w/ UA-5...PROBLEM SOLVED
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 09:22:07 PM »
FWIW- Opening the UA-5's caase can't void the warranty- the unit already had the DigiMod done to it!

I'm surprised Doug doesn't put a Void/Warranty/Tampering sticker after he opens it up. After all, he voids the original warranty and offers his own in its place.
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com