Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pre-Amp advice  (Read 3118 times)

Offline KYBound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Pre-Amp advice
« on: August 01, 2004, 11:54:04 AM »
Ok, I think I've determined my problem with my recordings is that I have no pre-amp between my mics and my minidisc.  Yes, I'm novice, don't have a lot of money, and just like live recording!  Any suggestions on an inexpensive pre-amp or other device that I should purchase to MONITOR MY DARN RECORDING LEVELS!  I'm tired of my recordings being volumed out!!!

Thanks so much
Chad

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Pre-Amp advice
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 11:58:28 AM »
first things first, do your mics have phantom power ??? that would give you more SPL's and your mics wouldnt overload as badly :)

Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline KYBound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 12:01:35 PM »
Well, recently I've run two PZM mics (piano mics) into a phantom power source, and then directly from there into my Sony MD recorder.  I really do like these mics.  I've also used a Sony ECM digital condenser, and adjusted the Sony MD recording level manually.  However, I hate that because I still cannot control the sound going into the recorder.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 12:07:31 PM »
hmmm, whats your budget ???

the denecke ad/20 is a nice lil pre/ad for the money, all youd need other than that is a phantom power source(which it sounds like you do)

i bet it would DRAMATICALLY increase your recordings quality, altho ya never know, but its worth a try ;)

you could send a digital signal directly to your MD w/ this, BUT it doesnt have great levels, actually none at all :P

get a jb3 ;)

also, if ya really wanted, w/ the ad/20, since it has NO levels, ppl on this very board make their own kits that would show levels out of your minidisc line out/headphone out, or out of the ad/20, i dunno if it has analog line outs tho ???

so there are a few options, the ad20 would set ya back maybe like 200-ish used ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline KYBound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 12:29:08 PM »
Well, I'm wondering if there is a pre-amp that I could use to monitor recording levels and would serve as my phantom power source?  I thought pre-amps did that?

I'm also wanting to keep this very simple.  I'm not trying to do professional recording, but definitely believe I can do pretty cheap and get excellent recordings.

200-ish is ballpark figure for me right now, maybe a bit high.  I already have a Yamaha mixer, and I could still go that route but I so want to minimize the bulk of equipment.  I was really hoping for a magical answer of what I could buy to monitor levels and provide power to the mics.  That's an interesting thought about a simply monitoring mechanism coming out of the MD to monitor the levels.  However that doesn't really allow me to control the levels like I wanna.  That would also require to use the manual recording feature on the MD that I simply don't trust. 

Well, I'm still in a predicament.  Hmmmm....I just don't know what to do..... more thoughts please?  Maybe I should just start all over (arrghhh!!! I don't wanna do that)

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 09:11:10 PM »
A few questions:
Are you saying the your minidisc does not allow you to set gain on the inputs?
And that it doesn't have meters?
What does "volumed out" mean?

Most minidiscs have both mic and line inputs, with adjustable gain ranges for both that cover just about every situation.  I'm having trouble getting a handle on what problem you're trying to solve.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline KYBound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 08:34:22 AM »
DK
Part of my problem is that I'm so out of my element with this, so I certainly apologize for my ignorance.  I basically have been plugging a mic or mics into my recorder and hitting record.  What I mean by "volumed out" is that the recording is distorted, as though the mics and recorder could not handle the audio and all of the recording is peaked out (off the recording meter).  Yes, I can monitor the recording, but getting it right at the outset is what I want, and with the equipment I got it really is a guessing game.  Sure I could practice, etc.. etc..., but every recording environment is not the same.  I can tell that I'm going to need to do some serious reading and research to get a better handle on recording.  I guess in my mind it does not need to be this dramatic.  I would think, for a cheap price, I could get decent mics (i have those), a decent recorder (i have a minidisc), and be able to do good recordings.  Given that apparently is not the case, I'm trying to determine what I need to do.  I was thinking that by placing something in between the phantom power and the recorder that I could control the audio feed into the recorder to make the recorder record audio that is just like I want (in terms of recording volume).

Anyway...i'm stupid..lol

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 02:20:38 PM »
Are you plugging your mics into the mic input or the line input of your MD? If you are going into the mic input you're probably overloading the built in pre which causes "brickwalling" which basically makes the recording sound distorted and overblown even though you are not pegging out the volume meter.

If you *are* going mic in, try going through the line input instead....this may very well solve your problem.

And if this was already mentioned in this thread.....well, then I'm stupid too!   ;)
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 06:04:20 PM »
It sounds like you may not be aware that you have some amount of control over the recording levels.  It's almost as simple as pressing record  ;)
It depends on your model, but there will be a way to adjust the input levels.  You want to set them so that the loudest parts come near but not over the peak level.  The 'bars' or whatever display usually change when you go over.  Check your manual or look it up online.  www.minidisc.org
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 04:23:58 PM »
Right--make certain you're using manual volume control and not relying on the automatic level.  This can't be adjusted while recording for many older Sony models (like my MZ-R70); you may have to have the unit in Rec/Pause to change levels.  And the next time you hit stop, it will revert back to the default automatic recording level garbage.  While I suspect a preamp will help the sound of your recordings, you ought to be getting better recordings with what you have so far, I think.  It may just take some trial and error to judge where your recording levels will need to be in a given situation.  You won't have any chance to adjust levels (with this method) while you're recording without going into pause.  Though I think the newer Sony MDs have on-the-fly capability.

Shawn

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com