Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications  (Read 49580 times)

mcfoster

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2019, 09:01:09 AM »
It's good to see that these can handle higher SPLs.  I'm really impressed with how they sound from only PiP.  Do you know how much the DR05 supplies?

I believe it is 2.9 volts. I had noted earlier in the first thread that it supplies just under 3V. Having trouble finding the spec again. Also, where they were positioned, I would say it was in the range of 100db, ad it was showing about 90 at the board which was not too far away. It was nice to see a show that sounded great and din't make the ears bleed.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2019, 09:26:03 AM »
This is very good news. :)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2019, 10:00:14 AM »
It's good to see that these can handle higher SPLs.  I'm really impressed with how they sound from only PiP.  Do you know how much the DR05 supplies?

I believe it is 2.9 volts. I had noted earlier in the first thread that it supplies just under 3V. Having trouble finding the spec again. Also, where they were positioned, I would say it was in the range of 100db, ad it was showing about 90 at the board which was not too far away. It was nice to see a show that sounded great and din't make the ears bleed.

Maybe these won't end up being suited for super loud indoor shows.  That wouldn't bother me too much because I primarily intend to use mine outdoors, and I generally find that all things being equal the outdoor shows don't seem as loud as indoor shows.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2019, 11:44:27 AM »
I just did a very unscientific test with my stereo and the configurations I proposed in the previous post. It looks like PIP is the way to go - I got plenty of gain and headroom with no signs of clipping with my stereo at moderate to high volume.

So am I correct in my thinking here: The mics cannot handle the 9v of power my 9100 puts out; the post preamp signal was not the issue as it was clipping at the mic end?

Here's the waveform db from the recording attempt the other night and it was what I suspected - straight brickwall. You can see when the band started at 41:10.

https://imgur.com/a/VlHEH4y
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:48:28 AM by beegar »
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Chuck

« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »
I just did a very unscientific test with my stereo and the configurations I proposed in the previous post. It looks like PIP is the way to go - I got plenty of gain and headroom with no signs of clipping with my stereo at moderate to high volume.

So am I correct in my thinking here: The mics cannot handle the 9v of power my 9100 puts out; the post preamp signal was not the issue as it was clipping at the mic end?

Here's the waveform db from the recording attempt the other night and it was what I suspected - straight brickwall. You can see when the band started at 41:10.

That's what I was getting with a 9v battery box (no gain) going line in to my MixPre-6 1/8" jack. But, I'd think less voltage would make it worse...

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2019, 01:05:14 PM »

That's what I was getting with a 9v battery box (no gain) going line in to my MixPre-6 1/8" jack. But, I'd think less voltage would make it worse...
Hmm.  Wonder if 9v is too high.Some digital circuits don't want more than 5v.
Anyway, Plug in power seems to work very well.No need to a battery box, just more connectors to worry about.
By the way, the most reliable solution would be obtained with Zoom F1 recorder and screw locking 1/8" TRS connectors.
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline heathen

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2019, 01:17:25 PM »
I'm going to try to get a pair of mine all wired up soon, and once I do I'll go to some show I don't care about (or even a bar band...as long as it's loud) and try as many configurations as I can.  Pre, BB, no BB, etc.

If these mics end up working for loud shows, and do even better without a BB/pre, then these may be my new go-to mics for deep stealth situations.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Chuck

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2019, 01:22:55 PM »
I'm taking mine out tomorrow night for the first time, but it won't be a loud show.

mcfoster

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2019, 01:56:06 PM »
I forgot to mention, I ran these without the windscreens on in an audio technica type mount and there was def some wind going on that night too, nothing crazy, but I don't hear it, I am wondering if the waterproof membrane might have had an impact on that.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2019, 03:39:23 PM »
I forgot to mention, I ran these without the windscreens on in an audio technica type mount and there was def some wind going on that night too, nothing crazy, but I don't hear it, I am wondering if the waterproof membrane might have had an impact on that.

More likely because they are Omnidirectional.
From DPA: Omnidirectional (pressure) microphones are, in general, less sensitive to wind compared to directional (pressure gradient) microphones. The difference is based on design — the pressure mic’s membrane is less compliant than that of the pressure gradient’s. The higher stiffness of the pressure mic’s membrane provides approximately 10 dB lower sensitivity to wind noise compared to the pressure gradient mic.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Chuck

« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2019, 04:27:27 PM »

From DPA: Omnidirectional (pressure) microphones are, in general, less sensitive to wind compared to directional (pressure gradient) microphones. The difference is based on design — the pressure mic’s membrane is less compliant than that of the pressure gradient’s. The higher stiffness of the pressure mic’s membrane provides approximately 10 dB lower sensitivity to wind noise compared to the pressure gradient mic.

Right. Which is why omni's are a great choice for outdoor recording. I try to always run a pair of omnis along with whatever other pair I run outdoors. They'll produce a listenable recording under conditions which make cardioids or hyper-cardioids unlistenable.

mfrench

« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2019, 07:36:06 PM »

Yes, to all of that, and adding, after extensive discussions with Bruce Myers, ex.CEO of DPA N.A.,... the venting of directional mics is to the backside of the capsule.  This creates a high pressure/low pressure offset happening on either side of the mic capsule, and causes havoc to the membrane of the directional patterns.
Me: adores omnidirectional, and sub-card.

Offline heathen

« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2019, 11:52:11 AM »
I got my first pair completed.  I wanted to see how difficult it would be to remove the flexible "stalk" from the screw part (it's not difficult at all...as someone else pointed out you can score it and then just pull them apart), so this initial pair ended up being like Moke's with no threading.  They seem fine from initial testing at home, but my next order of business will be to get them to a properly loud environment and do some testing.  I'll report back.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2019, 12:49:41 PM »
I ditched the threading too. You'll notice you can still use that wind screen on what's left too. It's not super tight, but it still works.

Offline heathen

« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2019, 01:01:21 PM »
I ditched the threading too. You'll notice you can still use that wind screen on what's left too. It's not super tight, but it still works.

Yeah.  I am going to look into adding something to the "body" of the mic to help stabilize and seal up the opening of the windscreen.  Maybe some kind of rubber grommet or something.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com