Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is the Edirol R-09HR a good recorder to use byitself?  (Read 2778 times)

Offline reorocks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Is the Edirol R-09HR a good recorder to use byitself?
« on: April 04, 2009, 12:02:04 PM »
I'm thinking of getting an Edirol R-09HR. I recently got a Zoom H2, but it clips easily. I'm going to give it one more chance tomorrow. Anyways I was thinking about getting an Edirol R-09HR. Has anyone ever used this to record without mics? I'm sure for the price it would be decent. I was thinking about getting an Zoom H4 for cheaper, but it looks too big. Most of the bands I want to record I'll have to stealth. I could just get Core Sound Binaurals for cheaper, but its too much to stealth and I hear the Zoom H2 isn't good with ext. mics. I could get Church Audio mics with a preamp, but I read it takes 2 to 3 weeks to make and I want to record a band in 19 days. So that's a little too long to wait for mics. So my main concern is the Edirol R-09HR a good recorder to use without mics?

nameloc01

Re: Is the Edirol R-09HR a good recorder to use byitself?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 12:35:19 PM »
You could order mics from SoundPro and have them in a few days.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »
Moke-

If you ever want to use your R-09 with the internal mics, get the Chris Church Micsketeer Mod:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,98290.0.html

I can't tell you how great it sounds. In most circumstances it will sound pretty much identical to using external ST-11's > ST-9100 > R-09 Line in. Chris says to use externals & preamp for quiet stuff though. It won't distort at very high sound pressure levels (The Dickies) but I also recorded a few tracks of a college chorus and that sounded great too.

I recorded a few tracks of a friend's band with the R-09's original internals and never used them again. The lack of quality was immediately obvious. Not so with the Micsketeer. Best $139 I ever spent on taping equipment (I got both card & omni caps).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline atleast6characters

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • The Brew Dot Biz
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:56:51 AM »
OP - Here's a recording using only an r09's condensers

http://www.archive.org/details/brew2008-09-12.flac16
“This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.”

AT853's > ua-5 Busmod > Optical > iRiver iHP-120
Webcast'd 853's > m-audio FT Pro > HP > Adobe Flash Media LIVE

LMA Shows http://tiny.cc/al6cBREW

i have a real nice multi-speed vibe that i'm going to use as rhythm tracks in a song i'm writing.

Offline atleast6characters

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • The Brew Dot Biz
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »
“This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.”

AT853's > ua-5 Busmod > Optical > iRiver iHP-120
Webcast'd 853's > m-audio FT Pro > HP > Adobe Flash Media LIVE

LMA Shows http://tiny.cc/al6cBREW

i have a real nice multi-speed vibe that i'm going to use as rhythm tracks in a song i'm writing.

Offline BitRater

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Gizmo Planet Electronics Reviews
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 09:17:42 PM »
Moke-

If you ever want to use your R-09 with the internal mics, get the Chris Church Micsketeer Mod:

I can't tell you how great it sounds. In most circumstances it will sound pretty much identical to using external ST-11's > ST-9100 > R-09 Line in. Chris says to use externals & preamp for quiet stuff though. It won't distort at very high sound pressure levels (The Dickies) but I also recorded a few tracks of a college chorus and that sounded great too.

I recorded a few tracks of a friend's band with the R-09's original internals and never used them again. The lack of quality was immediately obvious. Not so with the Micsketeer. Best $139 I ever spent on taping equipment (I got both card & omni caps).

The version done through the soundboard sounds a better, obviously, but the recording made with just the stock internal mics isn't terrible. At least it sounds OK to my one tin ear!  :o

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 01:38:57 PM »
I've pulled 2-3 tapes with it as a stand alone.  Unless you are within a few feet of the sound source it sounds "cavey."  I can post a recording source if you pm me--its on The Dime. 

I think just about any microphone would be a step from the built ins. 

I got AT CMC's and they are OK but I'm not entirely satisfied with them, and will be ordering new cards.  My DPA 2061 Omnis are beautiful sounding. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 04:46:22 PM »
http://www.archive.org/details/BarryCooper2009-03-28
(non-music recording)

That is a recording I did with the built in mics and gain around 40-55 (i can't specifically remember what it was). the speaker was about ~15 feet from me and between him and I there was a room full of people. I am HIGHLY impressed with it as a stand alone voice recorder. I was hand holding the 09HR the entire time and there is little to no handling noise.

At my local music store I played with that tiny tascam recorder ($200 job, i forget the model number) and the handling noise on it was insane and there is no way to avoid it.

So consider factoring in handling noise during your 115dB recordings.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 05:01:36 PM »
in a pinch it's ok, but I found it needs some serious EQ help.  the closer to the sound source the better.  it will clip under high SPL's, so you can't get too close to loud sources.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline ironchef

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 10:54:31 PM »
From my limited experience, the internal mics are OK, but I've had much better results with externals.  I'm using CMC-08s and am very pleased with them.  The internal mics seem muddy by comparison. 

Offline gambra

• Taperssection Regular
  • Noise aficionado.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 02:47:52 PM »
Moke-

As far as I know, the mod does NOT work on the HR version of the R-09, only the original. The OP was talking about the HR version. Have you any samples uploaded of the modded R-09?
Rig: Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com