Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: at-home cleaning and lubrication of DAT transports  (Read 1911 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
at-home cleaning and lubrication of DAT transports
« on: March 29, 2020, 03:59:14 AM »
ive got a few R500s in need of service, it seems their main issues are loading and transport
at least one, maybe two, make a loud screeching sound when attempting to load. for years i operated them with the door cover off to keep the units cooler, but ill bet that allowed a fair amount of dust to get in there as well.

another seems to have taken a liking to snapping tapes.

i obviously dont have the test tapes or a scope to do the typical adjustments, but before i sent these 40lb'ers across the country and back, wanted to see what expertise we had here for basic transport diagnosis and maintenance. none are curling tapes and the errors seem in line, it seems like its just mechanical.

I havent wet-cleaned a head since the cassette days, is that a thing? what do you use? the old school foam swabs with some solvent?

what is used for cleaning and lubrication? oil or graphite based lube?

heres a guy balls-deep in a sony transport (DTC790 is prob simpler, lighter duty)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOI3FUK4A-g
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
Re: at-home cleaning and lubrication of DAT transports
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »
Not sure about head cleaning but the guy that refurbed my DA30 DAT and Nak MR2 cassette decks recommends these for lubrication -

for anything that slides - Super Lube brand lithium grease - it's food safe too! https://www.super-lube.com/

for anything that spins - sewing machine oil - he said that most brands are exactly the same and doesn't recommend any particular brand

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 08:34:13 PM »
i see tons of different products on the super lube site but none are lithium based

i have some lithium brake grease in my garage
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 07:14:59 AM »
well i was able to salvage one of two just by opening it. its currently rolling tape with low-single-digit error count

its got a little squeal on the takeup rollers but more importantly the reason i think i put it out of service is that it was not positively engaging the door-open limit switch and prematurely retracting the tray. i figured out i can cheat it by a light tug on the tray when it opens, in order to positively engage the limit switch. this one has 1470 head hours, but i think its just the sitting around that got to it. will clean and lube once i get the right lube here

the other one that i cant get to load a tape at all, has 2500ish hrs. it doesnt recognize a tape is inserted, it loads and unloads ok, but wont pull the tape up to the head, it just says 'no tape' despite one being in there. guess thats going in for service

is there a rule-of-thumb life for lifespan of DAT transports? i would think just rolling tapes front to back without a lot of scrubbing is the equivalent of 'highway miles' on a machine.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 09:22:26 AM »

I have two decks and one has seen far less use. I use deck onefor playback and deck two for rewinds. I want to put the "highway miles" on the one that's seen significantly more use.

Any of the PTFE Silicone food grade grease on that linked page will do the trick. Brake grease, oddly, is included in that category.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com