Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO Vidcam for non-techie  (Read 2423 times)

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
ISO Vidcam for non-techie
« on: August 13, 2012, 11:18:03 PM »
I have done a lot of audio recording. I have done zero video recording. Or less.

A friend--and I guarantee to you all that it is not me--loves to belt out the ballads at his local karaoke establishment. He's got a surprisingly good voice. He records himself with an entry-level vidcam and its built-in mic, mounted on a tripod.  The resulting clips aren't particularly distorted but it's obviously an omni mic and there's lots of audience chatter and room reverb.

When I heard it I recommended using an external, directional mic. Should've kept my mouth shut. The budget vidcam doesn't have a mic jack, and so the next question was, well, what would be a good cam with an external mic input?

And I have absolutely no idea. All my toys are audio, and I'm keeping it that way.

I'd guess the budget is probably around $300, particularly if he wants to add something like a Rode Videomic. It should also be very straightforward to operate.

No one's expecting magnificent high-definition broadcast quality video from the setup--just a document that's not painful to listen to.

Can anyone suggest either a budget video camera with an unexpectedly good (probably cardioid) mic, or one that records well via its mic jack?

Is the Rode Videomic the way to go, or is there something better around or below  that $150 price?

Thanks. Will not be changing my name to eyemonger.

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
Re: ISO Vidcam for non-techie
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 03:22:45 AM »
my suggestion would be you record the audio with your directional mics(or a line out from the karaoke machine) and video with his cam and synch in post. 

I dont know of any decent video cameras with a mic in for +/- $300 and when you run mics directly into most cams you get alot of noise
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Re: ISO Vidcam for non-techie
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »
There is no "post." It's one take and upload from someone whose technical expertise ends at  pushing the Record and Stop buttons.  (OK, and setting up a tripod.)

The friend is out of town, and even in town I would have serious misgivings about spending any evening at a karaoke joint.

But thanks for responding.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com