Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Got my new Laptop - is dual boot really needed?  (Read 15736 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re:Got my new Laptop - is dual boot really needed?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2003, 05:30:51 PM »
first...you don't necessarily need to "buy" 2k...pm me :wink2:
further info...off the top of my head...when setting everything up, do it in this order.
1a. flash bios to latest level...yours is probably fine since it's a new machine but for older laptops, it's a good idea.  make sure if there is a setting for turning off the laptop by shutting the screen, it is disabled.

1. format drive (fat32 is fine, i use it, you can go ntfs if you want, the jury is still out on that i think) into 3 partitions.  i would go 6gb xp, 4gb 2k, and remaining for audio storage
 - i let xp sit on the 1st partition since my recovery disks seemed to want to put it there.  doesn't matter which one you put it on though, as long as you set it up to allow you to choose one when booting

2. load OS's

3. don't even bother with xp yet.  you can do whatever you want with that later.  just make sure it works ;)  in win2k, install service packs, necessary updates (none of that IE6.0 or outlook express crap, just stuff that seems necessary like system fixes etc) from windows updates.  

4. install all necessary drivers for your computer, chances are the standard win2k drivers may not work with your fujitsu's cd-rw and special video drivers, etc...you'll have to do a little research on whether these are available on the fujitsu website for download, or if the xp drivers will work for win2k...they might.  you probably won't need that wireless card though, and i would also disable the onboard audio, unnecessary devices, etc.  make sure the system still works ok after this!!!  reboot a few times and make sure you've uninstalled everything properly so they don't keep asking to be reinstalled at every boot up.

5. disable the services as detailed in the website above.  if you are going to be connecting this laptop to a network, you can create two hardware profiles, one for networked and one for recording, before doing this.  then you can specify which services necessary for networking should be enabled or disabled in each profile.  disable everything possible for the recording profile.

6. reboot again!  set your power management options to always on...never have anything turn off except maybe your screen, disable hibernation.  

7. download tweakui so you can really manipulate all the little settings in windows.  disable all kinds of fancy graphical nonsense like fading menus, animated icons, etc.  this is a really helpful tool and quite self explanatory.  turn off what you won't need.

8. install audio hardware and software, and test thoroughly.  recording, playback, w/ the screen closed, with it open, close the screen in the middle.  you don't want any actions like this causing glitches in recording or turns off the laptop.

9. test it running in your case, see if it overheats.  i had this problem running mine, i doubt you will with the small form factor of the lifebook and the relatively cool running transmeta processor, but better to be safe than really sorry you lost the show.

hopefully that helps...if i think of anything else i'll add to this.  anyone else feel free to chime in and correct me or add to this.  brian, do i hear the archives begging for this??
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2003, 05:33:16 PM »
wes, i'll take care of 2k tonight or tomorrow am for you.

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2003, 05:33:27 PM »
PM the addresses kid's, and I will copy them and send those "demo" discs to you by the morning.

Daryan

rabhan

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2003, 06:29:12 PM »
24bitfaq says ntfs is bad......

i would use a larger partition for xp, mine uses 6g out of 10.

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2003, 06:59:05 PM »
first...you don't necessarily need to "buy" 2k...pm me :wink2:
further info...off the top of my head...when setting everything up, do it in this order.
1a. flash bios to latest level...yours is probably fine since it's a new machine but for older laptops, it's a good idea.  make sure if there is a setting for turning off the laptop by shutting the screen, it is disabled.

1. format drive (fat32 is fine, i use it, you can go ntfs if you want, the jury is still out on that i think) into 3 partitions.  i would go 6gb xp, 4gb 2k, and remaining for audio storage
 - i let xp sit on the 1st partition since my recovery disks seemed to want to put it there.  doesn't matter which one you put it on though, as long as you set it up to allow you to choose one when booting

2. load OS's

3. don't even bother with xp yet.  you can do whatever you want with that later.  just make sure it works ;)  in win2k, install service packs, necessary updates (none of that IE6.0 or outlook express crap, just stuff that seems necessary like system fixes etc) from windows updates.  

4. install all necessary drivers for your computer, chances are the standard win2k drivers may not work with your fujitsu's cd-rw and special video drivers, etc...you'll have to do a little research on whether these are available on the fujitsu website for download, or if the xp drivers will work for win2k...they might.  you probably won't need that wireless card though, and i would also disable the onboard audio, unnecessary devices, etc.  make sure the system still works ok after this!!!  reboot a few times and make sure you've uninstalled everything properly so they don't keep asking to be reinstalled at every boot up.

5. disable the services as detailed in the website above.  if you are going to be connecting this laptop to a network, you can create two hardware profiles, one for networked and one for recording, before doing this.  then you can specify which services necessary for networking should be enabled or disabled in each profile.  disable everything possible for the recording profile.

6. reboot again!  set your power management options to always on...never have anything turn off except maybe your screen, disable hibernation.  

7. download tweakui so you can really manipulate all the little settings in windows.  disable all kinds of fancy graphical nonsense like fading menus, animated icons, etc.  this is a really helpful tool and quite self explanatory.  turn off what you won't need.

8. install audio hardware and software, and test thoroughly.  recording, playback, w/ the screen closed, with it open, close the screen in the middle.  you don't want any actions like this causing glitches in recording or turns off the laptop.

9. test it running in your case, see if it overheats.  i had this problem running mine, i doubt you will with the small form factor of the lifebook and the relatively cool running transmeta processor, but better to be safe than really sorry you lost the show.

hopefully that helps...if i think of anything else i'll add to this.  anyone else feel free to chime in and correct me or add to this.  brian, do i hear the archives begging for this??

simpy, if i buy you a plane ticket to LA, will you come set it up for me ;)
sheeeit, my head is swimming! so much info and my processor is too slow! gotta upgrade my ram! ;)
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2003, 07:14:11 PM »
yeah man, i require first class seats and 5 star lodging.... :wink2:
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline ianstone

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2003, 07:27:06 PM »
yeah man, i require first class seats and 5 star lodging.... :wink2:
cool... if by first class you mean you like to be in the luggage compartment, cool.  if by 5star you mean my floor, with a fresh bonghit when you wake up, cool!
what's your schedule like? ! ;)

no but really, why cant one of you smart computer dudes live in LA.?
This seems easy when reading it but i know there's no way i'll be able to do all of this on my own
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2003, 02:11:50 AM »
Hey Ian, jumping in a little late but it sounds like you've been convinced to dual boot, which I think is a very good idea.  I just set up a machine for the first time and seem to have gotten away without any problems (based on the results of my first outing).

Here's some setup help I found useful in addition to the Black Viper site about services:
24 bit faq http://www.24bitfaq.org/#Q1_1_1_1_6
Opus Audio setup guide www.opusaudioprojects.net/Articles.htm

They don't always agree so you use a little judegment and know that you're basically just stripping down your machine so other things don't disturb your recording.  There's no 1 perfect setup, as long as it works, it's good!  :D

Just run a few tests at home before you really need it to work.

david
« Last Edit: September 14, 2003, 02:12:22 AM by dklein »
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2003, 01:59:43 PM »
DAMN it, i wish i could help, ian... i was in pasadena on friday and the valley all weekend! munchin' on that sweeeeet gin sushi, 1st sushi i've ever had... the fire rolls are fucking amazing... i WILL be back to that place!
anyway, if i thought i could solve your problem, i'd stop by, but i would probably be of only SOME help, not enough to get everything perfect in 45 minutes...
armen

Offline ianstone

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2003, 02:11:26 PM »
armen,

let me know the next time you're gonna be down here. 2 heads are better than one

ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2003, 02:12:07 PM »
will do. i'll pick up some fire rolls on the way. SOOOOOOOO good

Offline ianstone

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2003, 02:33:07 PM »
which sushi place did you go to?

we have a great one in pasadena...
actually a couple of places.... mmmm suuuuushi
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2003, 03:04:55 PM »
yeah, i said i went to gin sushi (on colorado, i think). delicious!

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2003, 08:03:36 PM »
24bitfaq.org

Only says not to use NTFS because if your system dies it is harder (according to these FAQ) to retrieve data from NTFS partions. Also NTFS partions are not subjet to the 2 GB limit that you have with FAT32. But having said that there are more writes to the HDD using NTFS so there are power issues. You have to remeber when Dan Heend wrote this page it was in like 1999. A lot has changed in the world of technology since then. I have several different win2k machines so extracting data of a failed machine is not an issue and I like not having to worry as much about file sizes as I would with fat32.

I run Sony PCG-GRS700k (p4/1.8/1024) using NTFS and have not had issue with it yet. Have run it in really shitty conditions and has come through with flying colors. I did use the above link to turn off stupid services and have found that It did improve performance primarily on the Mastering side of things.

Everything is a give and take just have to figure out what suits you best. Have to say that the 24Bit/48khz has been a blast. It is nice to be able to run levels conservatively and not have to worry about clipping so much
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2003, 08:23:15 PM »
Is it still possible to get a 2K "Demo"?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com