Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Got my new Laptop - is dual boot really needed?  (Read 14350 times)

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
Got my new Laptop - is dual boot really needed?
« on: September 12, 2003, 02:12:05 PM »
SSIA: do i really need to set up dual boot?

I just got my new Fujitsu Lifebook p2120 w/ 384mb ram, 40G, crusoe tm5800 933mhz processor, extra batts, etc...
Running Windoze XP

It seems i can save different power management settings.. i already created a 'taping' setting... I can set other options up too in XP. I get varying opinions from many diff people... some say how win2k is more stable blablabla.... others say XP works just as well it is built on the same NT technology.

I haven't installed it yet, but I'll be running WavLab, with the vx-pocket (v2).

Can anyone help me to optimize this shit for field recording? I read some of the 24bit faq but there's so much info there hard to take it all in. Anyone can simplify this for me?

Side note- this notebook kicks ass.
Thanks in advance for your help.
peace,
ian stone
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re:Got my new Laptop - is dual boot really needed?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 02:15:54 PM »
+t ian...definitely kicks ass...i can't wait to run it next friday @ 24/96 :devilrock:

i'm not sure if i'm gonna do the dual boot thing either...major pain in the arse, as ar as i'm concerned.

rabhan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 02:20:38 PM »
pussies :wink2:

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 02:31:33 PM »

Do you need to?  No.  Should you?  Yes.

While it might be a PITA to set up initially, you're going to save yourself plenty of hassle down the road, IMO.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline ianstone

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 02:45:16 PM »
pussies :wink2:

hey, it's not that i'm afraid to do it, i just don't really know that it'd be worth it.
I have 2 desktops at home, which i can use for gaming, etc... i wont really want to use this laptop for anything other than taping. I also have a compaq laptop at work that i take on business trips, i can use that too if i need to.

But the new lifebook i got will just be for taping/burning/resampling, etc...
It has a 40Gig Hard drive, and i will be doing 24/48 not 24/96 so i'll be ok with about 1gig per hour of record time.

What specific benefits will I see by creating the dual boot setup? It seems i'll need to install 2k first, so that will mean un-installing XP (which came pre-installed on the machine). It will mean probably losting utilities/features such as McAfee virus check, etc...

When i'm travelling, it's possible that I will use the lifebook to go on the internet, and it will definitely be used to watch dvd movies WIDESCREEN :) on planes, etc when travelling. Otherwise, it will be used for recording and that's about it.

so, in my situation, does it make sense to go through all of that hassle?

damon, what soundcard/interface are you using to do 24/96? I picked up a vx pocket a few months ago on sale for $199.
I figured it was a steal so get it while it's hot. So i did.
It limits me to 24/48 which im thinking will be plenty good.
+T!  It's a sweet fuckin' notebook!!! i love how the cd burner just pops out and you can pop that battery in!

now i just gotta figure out if it will drain the main battery first and then the 'modular'...  and if i will be able to switch the main battery while the computer is running...  if you've alredy found the answers to these questions, let me know! :)

peace,
ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline ianstone

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 02:46:57 PM »

While it might be a PITA to set up initially, you're going to save yourself plenty of hassle down the road, IMO.

such as?  

everyone keeps saying its better, but nobody is saying why.

and in my situation, having to wipe off XP and start over, does it make sense?
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 02:48:02 PM »
i'm using the RME digiset to do 24/96...i have not been able to find out which battery drains first...i haven't gotten the modular battery yet, so i haven't messed with it.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 03:21:38 PM »

such as?  

here's why you should IMHO set it up as dual boot.  one partition, let's say XP, will have all your fancy schmancy crap on it, such as email, dvd software, office apps, anti-virus, etc.  you don't need to tweak anything, just install what you want and use it to your liking.
the other partition, win2k, should be relatively barebones and NOT have all that extraneous crapola on it.  you don't want unnecessary programs and services running while recording...generally speaking.  granted, your laptop is probably fast enough that you could get by without any problems having tons of background services, virus scan, etc running, but I wouldn't chance it.  i like to be certain i'm not taking any precious resources away from my recording software while taping.  you could see problems from this, though i don't know how likely it is.
as far as losing anything on your xp partition, you'll only lose what you've set up since getting the laptop...you'll retain all the original functionality after you set up the dual boot partition and load xp.  use the xp partition for anti-virus etc.  on the win2k partition, only load the os, any necessary drivers, recording software, and some others (i have winamp, flac, mkwact, cdwave, etc) on mine and do all my audio processing in win2k.  also check out the guide to win2k services, and disable the ones you won't need on the win2k partition.  here's a good guide:
http://www.blkviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm
any other ?s just let me know.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2003, 03:22:11 PM »
i had my laptop set up to dual-boot, but then i ended up installing just about everything i needed in the "audio" partition.. then finally said fuckit and deleted the other partition to make more room.

what makes more sense at this point, i think.. is to create a separate drive partition for just audio, and run wavelab in 2000 compatibility mode, and see if you can tape a show without any errors....

i just sold my vxpocket afew months ago but am looking to get a new firewire-based interface soon, just got a gateay with 1394 and plenty of gigs to spare.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2003, 04:01:35 PM »

You're right, Ian, we have not been very specific.  Here's my take, up to you to decide whether it makes sense...

Dual-booting ensures system stability for field audio recording.

Dual-boot or not, you'll have to optimize your laptop for recording.  Once optimized, you want to preserve the optimized environment and minimize/prevent changes.  But why minimize/prevent any changes to your known good configuration?

Once you have a known-good configuration, any hardware/software changes may result in:  

[a]  DLL hell
 IRQ sharing conflicts
[c]  activating or installing unnecessary background services
[d]  replacing/updating device drivers
[e]  memory leaks (you'd be surprised (or maybe not) how much crappy software there is out there)

All of these things - and others - have the potential to destabilize your recording environment, causing you to pull a flubbed recording for your favorite concert of the year!

If you:

[1] do not plan on changing your configuration at all because you have other machines for other activities (but I'll bet big bucks you will want to change it at some point)

or

[2] do not mind the potential for hours upon hours upon hours of future troubleshooting (which may be avoided easily by spending an extra hour or so setting up the dual-boot)

Then no, there's no compelling reason to dual-boot.  IME, though, if I can prevent future hassle with minimal work now, it's almost always worth the extra effort.
Roland R-05

Offline ianstone

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2003, 04:22:02 PM »
ok so it seems all i need to do, is go buy a copy of Win2k, and uninstall the XP from my computer, and format the hard drive.

then install 2k, and then install xp.

then i can setup 2k for the recording.
what do you mean by optimize it? aside from power management settings, what needs to be optimized?

please excuse my un-educated self.

anyone live in LA wanna come over and help me do this? i'll make it worth your while....

ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

rabhan

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2003, 04:27:29 PM »
get norton ghost also, once you get both platforms where you want them, ghost them with norton ghost so that if you ever have any problems, you can do a "laptop restore" just like a system restore but better in less than 20mins.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2003, 04:39:11 PM »
then i can setup 2k for the recording.
what do you mean by optimize it? aside from power management settings, what needs to be optimized?

Check out the link Simp-Dawg posted earlier.  Following the guidelines for "Gaming System" is probably a good place to start.

anyone live in LA wanna come over and help me do this? i'll make it worth your while....

If I did, I would...
Roland R-05

DaryanLenz

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2003, 05:25:45 PM »
Ian...you shoul;d have told me you wanted a demo of windows 2000...hmm, wonder if your package is still downstairs.  PM me if you need a copy thrown in the bag...it is a "demo" of course! ;)

Daryan

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2003, 05:30:17 PM »
D,
Any chance I could get one of those "demo" disks too?  my lappy came with a 98 disk and I'll having a real hard time tracking down a 2k disk.
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com