Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

repairing a c480?

(1/2) > >>

jnorman34:
hey guys - one of my 480 bodies seems to have a short of some kind in the XLR connector, ie, if you wiggle the mic cable connector at the mic end, the mic goes, well, i cant really figure out how to spell the sounds it makes, but you get the idea.  i have tried three differnt mic cables, so i know it is in the mic body itself.

anyway, since i have fixed many similar kinds of problems with other musical gear in my life, do you think i can risk trying to fix this myself, or shold i just bite the bullet and send it off the AKG repair service?  i havent examined it closely yet, but how easy is it to get the innards out of the body?  is there any kind of repair guide on line?  i hate the idea of sending my mic off...

thanks.

Lee:
send it off!  AKG service has great turnaround time and there's no sense voiding your warranty.

Mic D:
Try loosening and then tightening the screw on the XLR side of the mic body. I once experienced a problem similar to yours. I talked with a guy from AKG and that's what he told me to do. It actually worked. Good luck.

Kevin

utahtaper:

--- Quote from: Mic D on November 27, 2003, 10:53:21 PM ---Try loosening and then tightening the screw on the XLR side of the mic body. I once experienced a problem similar to yours. I talked with a guy from AKG and that's what he told me to do. It actually worked. Good luck.

Kevin

--- End quote ---
I had the exact same problem as well with my 480's. If that doesn't work I wouldn't sweat taking it apart. You won't void the warranty if you don't take an iron to it. But if you can see where the short is and the fix looks easy.... Why not?

utahtaper:
Oh yea the one screw is all that hold the guts of the mic inside the body. It all comes out in one piece so no worries there.  That one screw is the ground to the body. You must do all this with no capsules installed on the body as well.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version