Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cardioids 120 degrees at 5 cm ?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
cardioids 120 degrees at 5 cm ?
« on: April 26, 2006, 08:19:17 PM »
Anyone have experience running cardiods spaced 5 cm with an included angle of 120 degrees?  I've come across some old sources indicating this was once a popular configuration, but don't seem to see it much any more.

I'll be taping a jazz/rock show from the 6th row in a tightly packed venue, quit close to stage.  I'm thinking of trying out this configuration with my Sound Pro version AT853 cardioids because:

1) I'll need to stealth it, and 5 cm at 120 degrees fits into a Kangol a lot easier than DIN (too wide) or XY (too tall) and even DINa/ORTF is pushing it on the width.
2) Many up close recordings I've heard seem to have too much drum kit in them, and the drum kit should be directly in front of me.  So with a wide included angle, the drums should be slightly attenuated.
3) I am running with a 2-wire battery box.  I've never experienced noticeable problems with high SPLs in the past but I'm a little worried what will happen this close, so again having the drum kit off axis a bit seems like it might help.

Any thoughts/suggestions?  I'm not sure what the acoustics of this place are like so if it's safer in the event of subpar room acoustics I could probably manage DINa.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: cardioids 120 degrees at 5 cm ?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 02:58:04 AM »
5cm??

or do you mean 5 inches?

5 cm seems pretty close together. In my hat rig I run at about 12 cm separation, 90 deg. Not optimal for stereo imaging, but works.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com