Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Higher grade mics than AT943 Audio Technica Cardioid Slimline Stereo Mics  (Read 8836 times)

Offline dabbler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
I recorded under my shirt collar. I know that's frowned upon but the recordings still came out quite well.

That's probably the biggest problem, unless you're much taller than the crowd.  I've had much better experiences at the top of my head, X-Y, rubberbanded to a 6-inch Nite-Ize wire tie at 90-degrees or so (see pic).  The wire tie keeps it like a crown on your head and can be reinforced with a beanie, bandana or mesh trucker cap worn backwards.  I'm an inch or two shorter than average, so getting the mics high up helps.

I stood as still as I could for the shows. I went MIC in on the M10. Record Dial at 4. Limiter on, Low Mic Sensitivity, Manual record mode.
There's only the slightest amount of clipping only in the audience screams.  99.9% of the recording is within the right levels. They sound pretty clear to me in their raw state.  24 Bit 44.1 kHz.

I suggest disabling the M10 limiter, it's only good for fast transients (hand claps) and not long peaks from screams or excessive bass around 50-130 Hz.

My biggest problem is not knowing how long the tiny 12V battery will last; will probably make my own 16.8V BB for them (using 2x rechargeable EBL 8.4V Li-ons).
The 4' cable is also a bit short since they're at the very top of my head.
Otherwise, these were the slimmest cardioid mics I could find and am pretty happy with them.  I still prefer the more natural sound of omnis (DPA 406x) despite crowd noise issues.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 05:44:40 AM by dabbler »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com