Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: No flash concert photos  (Read 7734 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: No flash concert photos
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 01:50:59 PM »
Cool Damon, thanks for the additional info.  +T in 12

I've fooled around a bit with using the shade WB setting for concerts rather than AWB, but I haven't done enough to make a determination as to which I like better.  Interesting your point about the images being much too warm -- I've noticed this too, but was thinking that was just what the LD was doing with the lights at the time of my exposure.  I've done a bit with shooting RAW at shows, but really am a bit too lazy with the need for post-processing.  I'll have to try that more.  I use RAW when trying for my more artistic photography so I'll have more control, but so far for shows I've been treating it a bit more like tourist snapshots.  Also, I've noticed that the smaller bars where I can easily bring my camera and 3 lenses (and one taping rig) tend not to have the most amazing lighting rigs.  SCI has an open photography policy, so I'll bring my stuff into the Fillmore in a couple weeks and see what I can get.  Assuming I've got it in me to push through the morass of e-tard wookies, they've got a pretty substantial lighting rig, so hopefully I can get some good shots.

Interesting about that firmware hack.  I'm probably too much of a wimp to actually do it, but out of curiosity -- what does it entail? I didn't even know the Rebel had a way of upgrading the firmware, even if it was official from Canon.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 02:03:20 PM »
Cool Damon, thanks for the additional info.  +T in 12

I've fooled around a bit with using the shade WB setting for concerts rather than AWB, but I haven't done enough to make a determination as to which I like better.  Interesting your point about the images being much too warm -- I've noticed this too, but was thinking that was just what the LD was doing with the lights at the time of my exposure.  I've done a bit with shooting RAW at shows, but really am a bit too lazy with the need for post-processing.  I'll have to try that more.  I use RAW when trying for my more artistic photography so I'll have more control, but so far for shows I've been treating it a bit more like tourist snapshots.  Also, I've noticed that the smaller bars where I can easily bring my camera and 3 lenses (and one taping rig) tend not to have the most amazing lighting rigs.  SCI has an open photography policy, so I'll bring my stuff into the Fillmore in a couple weeks and see what I can get.  Assuming I've got it in me to push through the morass of e-tard wookies, they've got a pretty substantial lighting rig, so hopefully I can get some good shots.

Interesting about that firmware hack.  I'm probably too much of a wimp to actually do it, but out of curiosity -- what does it entail? I didn't even know the Rebel had a way of upgrading the firmware, even if it was official from Canon.

yeah, i've found that shooting RAW is just another step in the process, I only shoot RAW.  I have a pretty reliable workflow and it's really not too bad since pretty much every image needs some PS tweaking, it's just a different step and actually minimizes some of what i would have to do in pshop.  for example, tweaking the white balance usually takes care of the color balance adjustments.  I use Capture One LE for processing RAW which allows for batch processing 20 images at once.  I go through, choose the images i like, adjust the settings and click a button and it runs through 20 images at once. 

updating the firmware typically entails downloading it and copying it to your CF card.  when you put the CF card with the firmware upgrade in the camera and turn it on, a message comes up asking if you want to update, you say yes and presto, it's done in a few minutes.  at least that's how it was with the official canon upgrade on the 20d, i'd imagine the process is exactly the same.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 02:11:41 PM »
Interesting about that firmware hack. I'm probably too much of a wimp to actually do it, but out of curiosity -- what does it entail? I didn't even know the Rebel had a way of upgrading the firmware, even if it was official from Canon.

Damon is right - same process, you just use a different file (not one supplied by Canon). Google for the terms I mentioned in my previous post to see what's out there.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 02:49:21 PM »

fyi, i don't know your level of understanding in the camera world, but it sounds like you are somewhat new to slr photography. 

Wow, thanks for all the great info - I definitely now have some homework to do to get up to speed.  It's been a long time since I used a SLR camera and have forgotten what little I knew, so thanks for all the advice and links.  I'm usually so busy running audio and video at shows, that my time window to run down front and shoot some photos is usually fairly limited, so I want to be able to make the best of limited time...not to mention actually be able to come home with some photos worth looking at. 
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 03:07:34 PM »
As long as we're on the subject of concert photos, I figured I'd throw up some of my favorties - these are from the Stones show I saw a few years ago at the Wiltern in LA.  We were on the first drink rail and the guy next to me was snapping away with a little point & click digital camera and I was always blown away how good they came out.  I have some more if folks want to see them...

http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline -Q-

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »
nice shot!  if you are going to use Av mode, you should consider setting exposure compensation to -1/2 or -2/3 stop.  the highlights on the guitar body and the guy's hand, as well as the entire drummer, are blown out to a total white because they are a bit over-exposed.

+T thanks for the info! i've just switched to a digital and still figuring it all out. i've got some way better photo's from that night. hopefully the band will use so i don't want to put them on-line. i would love to see some more, do you have a website?
I  don't know where i'm going but i'll get there.Reid Genauer

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2005, 07:13:41 AM »
very nice posts damon +t

I've taken 4 years of photography in college, but after three years with no classes and not much camera use, that was a nice refresher course now that i'm starting to get back into it.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2005, 03:09:49 PM »
Ok, I took some pics last night for Dr. John and SCI.  Some examples are posted in the rigs pics section.  Thanks much Damon for your pointers.  Using manual mode with the center weighted exposure rather than matrix exposure made a huge difference.  My first group of shots were unbelievably over exposed.  Based on the thumbnails on the camera, I increased the shutter speed and brought the ISO back to 400.  Those seemed good at the time, but I still ended up needing to decrease the exposure by 2 stops with the RAW files on several of the shots.

Obviously a lot to learn and a long way to go.  Unlike my taping, my picture taking seems to suffer greatly from my bourbon drinking. :P  At the very least, I've got to use AF not manual if I'm going to get liquored up.  I ran into Larry, SCI's archivist and live releases manager, who said I should've emailed him for a photo pass.  Probably too late for this run, but next time I'll try -- having a photo pass and getting away from dancing masses would probably help alot.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2005, 08:55:23 PM »
great posts...+T....I have been playing with my new digi rebel for a few days now...manual mode is great fun
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline spplaxboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2005, 10:36:41 PM »
hey guys,
gotta say this site is really really cool..I was looking for show recordings, but came across this post. I'm a band photographer out of the Philly, PA area. I'm still using a 28-80 3.5-5.6/f lens and a 50mm 1.7/f lens more than anything else.
A few tips for shooting with NO FLASH:
1-The closer you can get to the stage, the better shots you will get with any lens. The closer you are, the more light you'll have, and the more richness in color too.
2-IF you can up your ISO (film speed) to 1600 on your digital camera, go for it. I shoot mostly film, but I use 1600 speed more than anything else.
3-As long as you have a steady hand while taking the shot, you can go as low as 1/30th of a second, and not have any motion blur..but that depends on what the artist is doing on stage at that time, and it can lead to some very cool shots....the one I attached was taken with no flash at 1/30th of a second.
4- If you're shooting in manual mode, overcompensate for the light. Your camera reads the light based on everything it sees through the lens in most cases. For example, if your camera says that the correct exposure is 1/90th, go down to 1/45 or 1/30..there's a very good shot that it's metering off of a bright light, and the musician will end up being a very dark blob.

Not sure when I'll be on here again, but if anyone has any photo questions, send me an email.. blackoutpictures@hotmail.com
or IM me: spplaxboy
Good luck!
-Drew

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com